Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    Martian Chronicles Question

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Martian Chronicles Question
 Login/Join

posted
Is is true that different editions of this book contain different stories?

Posts: 18 | Registered: 31 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Man, that is true of just about EVERY Bradbury book which APPEARED in different editions! A hardcover first edition of "The Martian Chronicles" is among the rarest finds; what you have will surely be a later version. The man is a rewriting FIEND! Not only were stories added along the way, certain stories were rewritten for different editions and for inclusion in collections such as "The Stories of Ray Bradbury." Anyone seeking, as in "Fahrenheit 451," to "become" one of Bradbury's books would probably short-circuit just choosing which version!

Posts: 2694 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
To start with, the U.S. edition had "Usher II", but not "The Fire Balloons."

Then the British edition reversed this.

I have two copies of the British edition, and when I recently checked the contents pages, I saw that one was exactly the same as the US edition, while the other omitted "Usher II", and had "The Fire Balloons" as mentioned above.

But I believe editions exist which contain both stories. And of course, the British version was called The Silver Locusts. So I actually don't have a book called The Martian Chronicles on my bookshelf!

Confused? Not my fault ... By the way, I remember "The Fire Balloons" was reprinted in Omni in the late 70s or early 80s. I still have this in a box somewhere. I never read it in Omni; I wonder if it was revised?

Posts: 110 | Location: Cape Town, South Africa | Registered: 29 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post