Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    The RAY BRADBURY "limited editions" thread....
Page 1 2 3 4 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The RAY BRADBURY "limited editions" thread....
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
The Graham edition of FAHRENHEIT 451 was published in three editions:

(1) 52 lettered copy edition signed by Ray Bradbury and Ralph Steadman. Quarter-bound in black goat skin and hand-made marbled paper and housed in custom black Asahi cloth clamshell box with red goat skin label stamped in gold. Laid in is the original signed silkscreen print in folder "The Hound" by Ralph Steadman.

(2) 150 numbered copy edition signed by Ray Bradbury and Ralph Steadman with marbled boards in slipcase.

(3) 249 copy cloth edition with dust jacket signed by Ray Bradbury and Ralph Steadman.

Posts: 2438 | Registered: 26 January 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks very much for the info! Mine appears to be one of the 150 group. It was well under $300 so it seems like it was a pretty good deal.

I have noticed that most all of the red cloth bound copies also appear to be slipcased as well. I wonder if slipcases were made available separately for these?

Posts: 107 | Location: SoCal | Registered: 30 March 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Carcosa

You'll like it Carcosa. Graham did a very classy job with the book, as they did with Future Fantasia. But that one I wouldn't recommend unless your a Bradbury freak, as it's mostly other authors and only for the die-hard Bradbury fans. But Graham again did a very classy job with the book.

Posts: 81 | Registered: 03 August 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Got my copy today of the Graham edition of "451".

Mine turned out to be the cloth-bound copy, an error in the listing. No biggie. I bought it from Vagabond Books here in SoCal...and as it turns out, they are in fact the publishers of the book. Craig and Patti Graham. They included a numbered snapshot of Mr Graham with Ray. A very nice bonus.

It's a great book, printed on full glossy paper with terrific illos. I swell edition to the collection of Bradbury limiteds.

Posts: 107 | Location: SoCal | Registered: 30 March 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Subterranean Press is having a ebay sale that includes two Ray Bradbury titles.

http://subterraneanpress.com/i...es-more-than-50-off/

Posts: 861 | Location: Tuscaloosa, Alabama | Registered: 06 July 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just purchased two limiteds from PS Publishing....LONG AFTER MIDNIGHT and MACHINERIES OF JOY. Joy arrived yesterday and I have mixed feelings about it in some ways, and I'm guessing MIDNIGHT will arrive with same. The book is (to my mind) cheap in production values, with illustrated paper bindings covered with a DJ featuring the very same graphics. Certainly not in the league with what Subterranean was doing.

Anybody have any comments/insights on this?

posted Hide Post
I don't have either of those PS volumes, but I have a couple of others. They seem comparable to Subterranean's to me, but I'm not an expert in fine books. (As I've said before, I'm more interested in the text than the physical book.)

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by philnic:
I don't have either of those PS volumes, but I have a couple of others. They seem comparable to Subterranean's to me, but I'm not an expert in fine books. (As I've said before, I'm more interested in the text than the physical book.)

Limiteds should really be examples in the art of design and illustration, and the art of bookmaking. In some cases these areas are skimped on and the primary appeal and justification is a limited signed book. Ray has seen some pretty dull limiteds, but some great ones as well, like the two Limited Editions Club volumes, The Cat's Pajamas by Hill House and I Sing The Body Electric by Subterranean being probably the best examples. Nothing beats a beautiful book.

posted Hide Post
On another note, I just picked up what may be the most limited of any of limiteds done of Ray's books. Its GREEN SHADOWS, WHITE WHALE, a signed hardcover published Ultramarine Press in 1992. It's limited to a WHOPPING 50 copies!!! I was unaware of it's existence until last night. Can't wait to see it....

posted Hide Post
I don't think I've seen even a picture of that one! When you get it, could you take some snaps and post them here?

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
[Snaps is a good word.]

- Phil

posted Hide Post
How to not Burn a Book. Only 27 copies. A 1975 lecture at UC Santa Barbara. Louisville: Contre Coup Press 2002. Hardbound & handset.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: jkt,

John King Tarpinian
You know what you are, Mr. Bradbury? ... You are a poet! -- Aldous Huxley

Posts: 2745 | Location: Glendale, California | Registered: 11 June 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jkt:
How to not Burn a Book. Only 27 copies. A 1975 lecture at UC Santa Barbara. Louisville: Contre Coup Press 2002. Hardbound & handset.

There are some really limited items for sure, like some of the lord John Press volumes, but I think this is the most limited of any of his MAJOR works....

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by philnic:
I don't think I've seen even a picture of that one! When you get it, could you take some snaps and post them here?

I will get some up as soon as it arrives....

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Carcosa:
quote:
Originally posted by jkt:

There are some really limited items for sure, like some of the lord John Press volumes, but I think this is the most limited of any of his MAJOR works....

John King Tarpinian
You know what you are, Mr. Bradbury? ... You are a poet! -- Aldous Huxley

ImageCover.jpg (46 Kb, 10 downloads)

Posts: 2745 | Location: Glendale, California | Registered: 11 June 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post