Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    Bradbury & Pink Floyd

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bradbury & Pink Floyd
 Login/Join

posted
I think, I found several "parallels" with the Bradbury's books and music by Pink Floyd.
Is anybody interested with this? Does anybody listen or like this group?

Posts: 105 | Location: orenburg, russian federation | Registered: 05 February 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi Elron,

I assume you're referring to many of the songs from "Dark Side of The Moon". Although, I expect many other collections by PF could qualify.

I also find similarities to the lyrics of many Tracy Chapman songs, since she is a prolific poet above and beyond her singing talent.

Likewise many of the lyrics from King Crimson's 1969, "In the Court of The Crimson King" hit familiar Bradbury notes. Case in point, the title track:

"The rusted chains of prison moons
Are shattered by the sun.
I walk a road, horizons change
The tournament's begin.
The purple piper plays his tune,
The choir softly sing:
Three lullabies in ancient toungue,
For the court of the crimson king....

...The gardener plants an evergreen
Whilst trampling on a flower.
I chase the wind of a prism ship
To taste the sweet and sour.
The pattern juggler lifts his hand;
The orchestra begin.
As slowly turns the grinding wheel
In the court of the crimosn king..."

Two of the original members of King Crimson still remain and continue to release original CD's and the band regularly tours, although the music has evolved to a more modern translation. Their recount of the creative process is similar to some of Ray's summations.

Music and books, books and music....all good stuff when coming from that ever-resourceful internal muse.

Posts: 118 | Location: Gulfport. MS | Registered: 10 January 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Celestial, good to see you here! Being a Crimson fan, it's fascinating to hear such comparisons. Personally, my favorite Crimson albums would have to be Red, Starless and Bible Black, and Larks' Tongues in Aspic. As I mentioned on another string, Kc has a tune called Groon which may be a reference to Ray's poem The Groon. I haven't heard the song yet, but I think it might be an instumental number (they have a lot of those) so it may or may not be a direct reference to the poem.I still haven't confirmed that. As for the band itself, I think Robert Fripp is the only member from the original lineup. It's his band, really, and over their history it seems that every couple years there is a completely new lineup playing with him, although I think the lineup has been pretty consistent for the past 20 years or so.
I think the tune Moonchild (from the first album) is rather Bradburyesque:

Call her moonchild
Dancing in the shallows of a river
Lovely moonchild
Dreaming in the shadow
of the willow.

Talking to the trees of the
cobweb strange
Sleeping on the steps of a fountain
Waving silver wands to the
night-birds song
Waiting for the sun on the mountain.

She's a moonchild
Gathering the flowers in a garden.
Lovely moonchild
Drifting on the echoes of the hours.

Sailing on the wind
in a milk white gown
Dropping circle stones on a sun dial
Playing hide and seek
with the ghosts of dawn
Waiting for a smile from a sun child.

(from debut album In the Court of the Crimson King (1969) lyrics by Peter Sinfield)

Elron, As for Pink Floyd, I do enjoy their music too, and I'm anxious to hear more on your comparison.

[This message has been edited by groon (edited 10-13-2003).]

Posts: 411 | Location: Azusa, CA | Registered: 11 February 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Celestial,

Your choice of lyrics doesn't quite do it for me but, Groon, I think, comes a little closer.

Still, I wouldn't've made these connections myself. I, too, await Elron's examples.

This is likely to turn into an interesting little sidebar to the discussions on this board.

Pete

Posts: 547 | Location: Oklahoma City, OK | Registered: 30 April 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sorry Guys,

My perceptions of song are ultimately influenced by the actual notes in combination with really good verse and perhaps some other intageables. Some songs just "support" the same feelings evoked by Bradbury's writing. Does that make sense?

Groon, your choice is perhaps a more fitting choice. 'Tis the reason I should leave critiquing and exposition to the experts like Mr. Dark and Pete. You're right about the revolving door of Robert Frippe. Seems he's quite a quirky character himself.

As far as KC's "Groon", I have it on good authority that there is no remote similarity to Bradbury's "Groon" and in this instance, we should be glad of that.

Wonder if anyone else relates the works of other musical artists to Bradbury. Perhaps they could share the comparables with us. Off the top of my head, Cold Play is another to consider. And what about so of the earlier Sting? Not to mention other types of music.

[This message has been edited by Celestial (edited 10-14-2003).]

Posts: 118 | Location: Gulfport. MS | Registered: 10 January 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'll try to explain:

1) In the early works both of them (Bradbury & Pink Floyd) used the "space" and "fantastic" themes.
2) They both began in an unusual and unconsidered genres (sci-fi in literature and psychedelia in music), made the best in them and turned them, raised them on a new level. And then left these genres, for their art belongs to the un-genred areas, out of any classification.
3) "F451" - is the kind of continuation and evolution for "1984" by Orwell. "Animals" by PF - is the musical variant of Orwell's ideas from "Animal Farm"
4) Waters's lyrics are often close to Bradbury's texts: social deseases, noncomformity, loneliness of the man in a city... Mostly, "The dark side of the moon" fits well. I cannot find the direct parallel, but, for example, "On the Run" may be the wonderful illustration to "Frost And Fire" or "The Murderer".
Who will tell more?

Anyway, they "sounds" the same to me, give me the same feeling. And they both gave me the part of a world-view.

----
I'll be greateful if anybody will edit my message, because my English is too bad for this kind of discussion.

[This message has been edited by elron (edited 10-14-2003).]

Posts: 105 | Location: orenburg, russian federation | Registered: 05 February 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Logical progression on a reading list: Animal Farm, 1984, F451, Brave New World - then how about listening to THE WALL, by PF?

Which leads me to wonder:
Does anyone know what musical forms or musicians influenced RB over the years?

fpalumbo

Posts: 732 | Registered: 29 November 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I hear that if you start "Dark Side Of The Moon" immediately after reading the copywright page of "From The Dust Returned" it is a perfect soundtrack to the book.

Andy

Posts: 209 | Location: Worden, Illinois | Registered: 09 June 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Funny.....

quote:
Originally posted by From Greentown Illinois:
I hear that if you start "Dark Side Of The Moon" immediately after reading the copywright page of "From The Dust Returned" it is a perfect soundtrack to the book.

Posts: 85 | Location: San Dimas, CA USA | Registered: 25 January 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Okay, I dug up and dusted off my old "Dark Side of the Moon" album jacket and checked out the words behind the music. Here's a few of those gems worthy of being background or follow-up to a Bradbury reading.

BREATHE

Breathe, breathe the air
Don't be afraid to care
Leave, but don't leave me
Look around and choose your own ground
For long you live and high you fly
And smiles you'll give and tears you'll cry
And all you touch and all you see
Is all your life will ever be

Run, run rabbit run
Dig that hole, forget the sun,
And when at last the work is done
Don't sit down it's time to start another one
For long you live and high you fly
But only if you ride the tide
And balanced on the biggest wave
You race toward any early grave.

and then further in the collection, there's:

BREATHE REPRISE

Home, home again
I like to be here when I can
When I come in cold and tired
It's good to warm my bones beside the fire
Far away across the field
The toiling of the iron bell
Calls the faithful to their knees
To hear the softly spoken magic spells.

Too bad my turntable has seen better days.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Logical progression on a reading list: Animal Farm, 1984, F451, Brave New World - then how about listening to THE WALL, by PF?

I think, no. "The Wall" - is not a social tragedy, but wery personal. As for Bradbury - I would compare it to.... "One timeless spring". Very close.

posted Hide Post
No!? Click lyrics for PF The Wall @ http://www.azlyrics.com/p/pinkfloyd.html

Think (AF)Snowball & Boxer vs Napolean; (F451)Montag vs Beatty; (1984)Smith vs O'Brien; and (BNW)All of the Characters vs themselves! No similar conflicts ~ socially, drugs, thought control, isolation, mal-intended education, misinformation -- lots of "bricks in the wall!?")

Usher II, Pedestrian, Pillar of Fire of RB also come to mind with parallel themes.

fpalumbo

Posts: 732 | Registered: 29 November 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I know the lyrics very well )

quote:
Think (AF)Snowball & Boxer vs Napolean; (F451)Montag vs Beatty; (1984)Smith vs O'Brien; and (BNW)All of the Characters vs themselves! No similar conflicts ~ socially, drugs, thought control, isolation, mal-intended education, misinformation -- lots of "bricks in the wall!?")

Well, there is some kind of similarity, but "The Wall" describes the behaviour & thoughts of the single man, but not the social processes (maybe it is closer to F451, but not to Animal Farm).

posted Hide Post
Okay, I thought of this like a week ago, but keep forgetting to mention it. Tim Burton's The Nightmare Before Christmas has always seemed very Bradburyish to me. I guess mostly it reminds me of the Halloween Tree. Both in imagery and in theme. Obviously the whole Halloween motif. The Lock Shock and Barrel characters kind of look like the kids from the Halloween Tree. The overall theme though, about Jack, whose world which revovles around the celebration and the fascination of the mysticism of death, finding these doors to the other holidays and wondering if there's more to life after all.

Or how 'bout Rocket Man by Elton John? You can't tell me that wasn't inspired by Ray's writings! Good song though (probably the only Elton John song I actually like)

[This message has been edited by groon (edited 10-24-2003).]

Posts: 411 | Location: Azusa, CA | Registered: 11 February 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Okay, a bit off-topic here, but I simply had to add to the comment above... I simply love the film "The Nightmare Before Christmas," and would heartily recommend it to any Bradbury fan! I watch it every year, usually on November 1st--it's a great transition from Halloween to the very beginning of the winter season. It certainly is Bradburyesque, if there is such a word... And the DVD contains two excellent shorts, one animated and one live action, as well...

Posts: 85 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 20 June 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post