Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    Update on Bradbury volumes from Prof. Touponce
Page 1 2 3 4 5 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Update on Bradbury volumes from Prof. Touponce
 Login/Join

posted
I received this reply from Prof. Touponce regarding the first volume of the Bradbury collections he is working on:

"The first volume is nearing completion here at the Center and will be submitted to the KSU Press on schedule on 1 September. It should be published next year in time for Bradbury's 90th birthday. Remember that this is a scholarly edition of Bradbury's stories (and not just an anthology hastily thrown together), so it takes a lot of time to prepare and especially to locate and compare all versions of the stories, many of which, in this first volume, have never been collected before. You'll have to check with the KSU website over the next months for news on how and when to order. We don't know their exact schedule. As soon as we know, we'll put that information on our website. The second issue of New Ray Bradbury Review will be out by December, this year."

Posts: 112 | Location: Around Greentown | Registered: 03 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I want that book ... RIGHT NOW!

Posts: 699 | Location: Cape Town, South Africa | Registered: 29 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Great news!

Is there any word on Prof. Jon R. Eller's BECOMING RAY BRADBURY?

Posts: 861 | Location: Tuscaloosa, Alabama | Registered: 06 July 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The first 100,000 words are completed.

Posts: 439 | Location: Oak Park, IL | Registered: 19 July 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I wonder if prof. Touponce could be prevailed on to supply the contents of the book? It must be pretty much finalized if it's going to printers about now. I'm sure that would help to crank up the anticipation levels for the book.

Posts: 699 | Location: Cape Town, South Africa | Registered: 29 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Great news, thanks for the post!

...and yea, I would love to see a table of contents.

Posts: 81 | Registered: 03 August 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was with Prof Touponce last week at the Bradbury Center in Indianapolis. I'll write more about my visit later, but for now I can report that the contents of the first volume of "the edition" were having to be modified right up to the deadline due to new manuscript discoveries, although the overall structure of the first volume is fixed. I'm sure a table of contents will be forthcoming soon.

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by philnic:
I was with Prof Touponce last week at the Bradbury Center in Indianapolis.

Did you manage to get over to Donn's archives whilst there?

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doug Spaulding:
...Did you manage to get over to Donn's archives whilst there?

Alas no. However, many of the holdings of the Center for RB Studies are duplicates from Donn's archives.

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Alas no. However, many of the holdings of the Center for RB Studies are duplicates from Donn's archives.

That's what Donn told me. He said that the University section was a branch, but the bulk of the collection was in his private residence.

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes, my understanding is that Donn collects EVERYTHING to do with Bradbury, whereas the CRBS collection is mainly texts (i.e. manuscripts, drafts and discards) and correspondence (letters).

CRBS also has most (but not all) editions of most of Ray's books, and a sizeable collection of books on SF, fantasy and related literature.

- Phil

posted Hide Post
quote:
Yes, my understanding is that Donn collects EVERYTHING to do with Bradbury...

You're not lyin'!

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
Here is the line up of stories for Volume One of The Collected Stories of Ray Bradbury:

The Collected Stories of
Ray Bradbury

A Critical Edition

Volume I
1938-1943

General Editor
William F. Touponce

Volume Editors
Jonathan R. Eller and William F. Touponce
Center for Ray Bradbury Studies
Indiana University

Consulting Editor
Donn Albright
Pratt Institute

Volume Introduction
William F. Touponce

KENT STATE UNIVERSITY PRESS
The Collected Stories of Ray Bradbury: A Critical Edition
Volume 1: 1938-1943

Table of Contents

Introduction: The Pulp Origins of a Literary Style 10,000 words

Pendulum (1941) c. 5,000 words
Gabriel’s Horn (1941) c. 5,000 words
Final Victim (1941) c. 5,000 words
The Piper (1941) c. 5,000 words
The Candle (1942) 4,000 words
Is That You, Herb? (1942) c. 2,000 words
The Wind (1942) 5,000 words
Eat, Drink and Be Wary (1942) 1,000 words
Promotion to Satellite (1942) 4,700 words
The Crowd (1942) 6,000 words
Chrysalis (1942) 18,000 words
Subterfuge (1942) 3,500 words
A Blade of Grass (1942) 3,000 words
And Then—The Silence (1942) 1,800 words
The Lake (1942) 2,400 words
Morgue Ship (1943) 4,300 words
A Blade of Grass (1943) 3,000 words
Tomorrow and Tomorrow (1943) 7,000 words
The Monster Maker (1943) 6,000 words
The Scythe (1943) 5,300 words
King of the Gray Spaces (1943) 5,700 words
I, Rocket (1943) 6,500 words
Undersea Guardians (1943) 5,400 words
The Small Assassin (1943) 6,000 words

Appendix A
Selected Amateur Publications (1938-1941) c. 8,000 words
Hollerbochen’s Dilemma (1938)
Hollerbochen Comes Back (1938)
Don’t Get Technatal (1939)
The Pendulum (first version, 1939)
Luana the Living (1940)
The Piper (first version, 1940)
The Secret (1940)
It’s Not the Heat, It’s the Hu— (1940)
Tale of the Mangledomvritch (1941)

Appendix B
Summary of The Unpublished Stories

Chronological Catalog, 1938-1943

Prof. Touponce

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Bill Touponce,

Posts: 44 | Location: Indianapolis, Indiana | Registered: 16 May 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
...I'm sure a table of contents will be forthcoming soon.

How right I was!

- Phil

posted Hide Post
I'm speechless with excitement!

All those texts that I've heard of, but had little chance of ever reading, and now at last I can get my grubby paws on them!

Actually, if or when I receive a copy, you can bet my paws will be very scrubbed indeed.

Casting my eye over the contents, I can tell that those dates are dates of composition, not publication. That's extremely interesting and helpful, because the chronology of Ray's stories is quite complicated. When I originally read Ray's story collections, I used to draw conclusions about how the author's style was evolving or how he was discovering new subject matter. But these conclusions were often spectacularly wrong, as I found out when the actual dates of original publication - and, in some cases, the dates of composition - became available to me.