Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    How is this book?

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How is this book?
 Login/Join

posted
Has anyone here read Twice 22? My friend froom school is also a Bradbury reader, and he tells me that it is great. I can't find it anywhere, but I'd like to know what kind of stories it has.

Posts: 13 | Location: SC, USA | Registered: 13 April 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes, it's a great book! Actually, it's a compendium published in the '60's comprised of two collections which might be easier to locate individually...'The Golden Apples of the Sun,' and 'A Medicine for Melancholy.' Both are still in print in large-sized paperback form from Avon/Morrow Books.

-Greg

Posts: 139 | Registered: 01 October 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A lot of those stories are also in one of the paperback collections, either "Classic Stories 1" or "Classic Stories 2," or in "The Stories of Ray Bradbury."

Posts: 7303 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
How about this one? (2001 copyright)
Ray Bradbury Collected Short Stories (The Great Author Series) by Ray Bradbury, Robert Court (Illustrator)

I haven't seen this anywhere and am interested in a bit more info. What is the extent of the illustrations?

[This message has been edited by fjpalumbo (edited 05-15-2002).]

Posts: 732 | Registered: 29 November 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My big gripe about those "Classic Stories" volumes is that they say they collect everything from two books, but they really don't. For instance, "The Pedestrian" (one of my all-time favorites) was omitted, as well as a few other stories. Why? I have no idea. Better to seek out the original Twice 22 in a used bookstore and read the works as they were intended.

Posts: 53 | Location: Southern California | Registered: 12 February 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Tyger, I did a quick search for Twice 22 on Amazon.com and found that, although it's out of print, you can still obtain a used hardcover copy for as low as $9.00! After going to the link below, click on the "See all used" link and you'll have plenty of copies to choose from.
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0385055943/qid=1021443021/sr=1-76/ref=sr_1_76/102-1707027-3620131

Posts: 53 | Location: Southern California | Registered: 12 February 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Three good places to try are www.addall.com, www.bookfinder.com, and good old eBay, to compare prices and editions before buying anything. I've picked up lots of great things at www.half.com through eBay, including a book containing a Bradbury story I'd never read for only 99 cents! I would also be interested to learn about the number and type of illustrations in the above volume, the table of contents, and whether there is an introduction. Thanks for any details!

Posts: 7303 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I found a copy of TWICE 22 at a site called Hyacinth House; it only cost 3 or 4 dollars (!). It's a great hardcover, with a whimsical cover by Joe Mugnaini, who also did two illustrations inside (one for each collection), different from the illustrations he did originally for GOLDEN APPLES. A nice (not to mention inexpensive) addition to the collection.

Posts: 79 | Location: Tomerong, NSW, Australia | Registered: 16 February 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post