Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    New Book from Gauntlet Press: MASKS

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New Book from Gauntlet Press: MASKS
 Login/Join

posted
I received an e-mail from Gauntlet Press today,announcing a new book from Ray Bradbury scheduled for release in October, 2008: MASKS. Here is what the announcement said:

Long-talked about by Bradbury enthusiasts, MASKS was to be Ray Bradbury's second novel (he considers THE MARTIAN CHRONICLES his first novel). In the late-forties Bradbury applied for a Guggenheim grant and submitted an early version of MASKS. While he didn't get the grant, Bradbury continued to tinker with it until 1952 or 1953. Editor Donn Albright has assembled fragments into a cohesive story so the reader can compare Bradbury's first draft with later thoughts on the proposed novel. There will be no other edition of MASKS.
Besides the MASKS, the book will contain 5 never-before-published stories Bradbury wrote during this period, to be chosen by Donn Albright and Ray Bradbury. Our lettered edition will contain variations on two of the stories. Available in October 2008, we'll be taking orders January 1. As always we will keep prices for this signed limited edition reasonable.

Posts: 2467 | Registered: 26 January 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Oooh! Exciting!

Posts: 13 | Location: West Lafayette, IN | Registered: 27 November 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Gauntlet Press will be releasing another volume of previously unpublished Bradbury...in 2010! The following statement was included in an e-mail they recently sent to their on-line mailing list:

"We will have another unique Ray Bradbury project in 2010 - all previously unpublished material. Contracts are in the mail to Ray Bradbury and once we receive them we'll provide you with details."

posted Hide Post
God Bless Gauntlet. They really are raiding the Bradbury vaults, and it's great to see! Smiler

Posts: 81 | Registered: 03 August 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Great news for all.... kudos to Barry!!!!

Phil

Posts: 8 | Registered: 19 May 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Gauntlet Press send an e-mail today to those on its distribution list, with the following news about both its upcoming book, MASKS, as well as the planned Bradbury project for 2010, BULLET TRICK:

"We're beginning to lay out Ray Bradbury's Masks. Recently, while rummaging through a box at Ray Bradbury's home, a friend found an envelope Bradbury had mailed to himself in 1946 (something authors often did to protect the copyright of an unfinished project). In the envelope were 7 additional pages relating to 'Masks'. These will appear in all editions of the book.

Speaking of Ray Bradbury, we have just signed a contract for our 2010 project, Bullet Trick. The book will contain 7 teleplays and two short stories, all published for the first time. We'll provide more details later, but 5 of the teleplays were produced and aired on television. Also included are two unpublished short stories (one complete and one in fragments) based on the teleplays. And, as an added bonus there are two scripts Bradbury wrote for the original Twilight Zone that were never produced for the series. All make for a wonderful read and a unique collectible. We'll have a webpage for Bullet Trick in the late-fall. And, a thank you to editor Donn Albright who assembled this wonderful book. As you'll see with Masks it's no easy chore putting fragments of some of Bradbury's unpublished (and unfinished) together into a coherent story. Donn did this with material in Match to Flame, with Masks and with one of the short stories in Bullet Trick. It makes for a fascinating read and the teleplay and short story are quite different."

posted Hide Post
Richard, thanks for the fascinating info from Gauntlet.

Publication of those two Twilight Zone scripts (these must be "Here There Be Tygers" and "Miracle of Rare Device") once again opens up the big question of the relationship between Serling and Bradbury.

I have always imagined "Tygers" to be more or less unfilmable. They had a go on Ray Bradbury Theater, and some of it worked, but the visual effects were appalling.

"Rare Device" ought to have been much more suitable for television (again, RBT did it; this one worked, although it was very dialogue-heavy).

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Though expensive I regret not getting "Match to Flame". I would also like to get "Masks". I guess I need to log on to their site and see if the first is available, and when the second is scheduled. Thanks for posting this information.

Posts: 2769 | Location: McKinney, Texas | Registered: 11 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by philnic:
Publication of those two Twilight Zone scripts once again opens up the big question of the relationship between Serling and Bradbury.

I don't remember if I mentioned this, but when we were invited by Mr B to his home in February, I asked him about Serling, and he told me the whole story (or what I assume was the whole story).

I'll have to tell you about it sometime.

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sometime? If not now, when? If not me, who?

Red Face)

This was supposed to be a smiley face.....

Posts: 2769 | Location: McKinney, Texas | Registered: 11 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I assume NOT the whole story - simply because I had it on fairly good authority that the whole story wouldn't be told while Ray is still alive. (And since he is going to live forever...)

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by philnic:
And since he is going to live forever...

Well now, you have me there!

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
News from Gauntlet.

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
My copy is on order, sounds like a really collectable edition.

Posts: 847 | Location: Laguna Hills, CA USA | Registered: 02 January 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post