Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    Does this ring a bell?

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Does this ring a bell?
 Login/Join

posted
An old story just popped into my head that I haven't thought about for many, many years. Could be Bradbury, Asimov, or Sturgeon.

A middle aged couple is thinking about getting rid of their old bed. The wife really wants a new one and the husband loves the old one. I'm not certain, but for some reason I visualize it being in either N.Y.C. or Chicago. I seem to remember an old brick apartment building, complete with the steps leading up from the sidewalk, neighbors shouting out their windows, and laundry strung from one building to the other. I think they decided to keep the old squeaky bed in the end.

Posts: 901 | Location: Sacratomato, Cauliflower | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
doesnt sound weird enough to be asimov............. so im not sure

By the pricking of my thumbs, something wicked this way comes.

Posts: 113 | Location: Kensington, Maryland, USA | Registered: 08 April 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Asimov weird? If you say that, you haven't seen weird yet...
Cheers, Translator

Lem Reader

Posts: 626 | Location: Maple, Ontario, Canada | Registered: 23 February 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Grasstains,
How old?
Greentown
Ettil,
Did you mean, too weird to be Asimov?
Greentown

[This message has been edited by From Greentown Illinois (edited 05-20-2004).]

Andy

Posts: 209 | Location: Worden, Illinois | Registered: 09 June 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It sounds like "The Marriage Mender," by Bradbury. Try this thread: http://www.raybradbury.com/ubb/Forum1/HTML/000979.html

Posts: 2694 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It is of course "Marriage Mender". As far as i remeber it is about Italy. The are singing "Santa Lucia" or so.

Their names - Maria & Antonio.

Or maybe Mexico?

Posts: 105 | Location: orenburg, russian federation | Registered: 05 February 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes, dandelion. That's the one. I must have missed that thread a while back. Thank you.

Asimov did write some normal short stories about couples and groups of friends. He, his wife, and his writing buddies were probably the actual protagonists. Also, he was from N.Y.C.

Posts: 901 | Location: Sacratomato, Cauliflower | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
well, the only asimov i have ever read was "I, Robot" which, believe me, was very weird. i could understand it though. very very good book.

Posts: 113 | Location: Kensington, Maryland, USA | Registered: 08 April 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ettil-
I recently read I, ROBOT in preperation for the movie. The movie is supposed to be a murder-mystery. There was no murder in any of the I, ROBOT stories. I wonder if they are just using the name. Or, maybe the story is from another Asimov book, ie., CAVES OF STEEL or THE NAKED SUN.

posted Hide Post
I saw 2 trailers for the movie and it looks more like Men In Black than I, Robot. oh well........... i hope itll be ok to watch even if it butchers up the book.

posted Hide Post
I also saw a preview for the film I ROBOT, and any resemblence to Asimov's fine novel is strictly a coincidence. Sigh.

Posts: 369 | Registered: 26 January 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post