Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    Collier's 1952 space issue

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Collier's 1952 space issue
 Login/Join

posted
In 1952, Collier's magazine famously published a set of articles about space travel with illustrations by Chesley Bonestell and text by Wernher von Braun and others. A blog called DREAMS OF SPACE has posted scans of the articles here:

http://dreamsofspace.blogspot....an-will-conquer.html

Many people in the space business in the 1950s and 1960s credited Collier's with kick-starting the space age. It certainly inspired Disney to to do three TV specials about space shortly afterwards.

The popular interest in space was one of the motivating factors behind Bradbury's attempts to get his stories on TV in the late '50s, and shortly afterwards his writing of the first screenplay for THE MARTIAN CHRONICLES (unfilmed).

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for that link! OMG! I remember that issue of Collier's. Chesley Bonestell became my hero after seeing his paintings. He taught me how to draw moon craters (all over my school notebooks, of course.)

There were faces with echoes in them. Echoes of hikes on ravine trails...

Posts: 9 | Location: Buffalo, NY | Registered: 07 January 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was in neither the right place nor the right time to see the article in its original incarnation, but as a space buff I have known of its existence for a few decades. It was one of those items which I have searched the web for, periodically, but without success... until now.

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I love this stuff!
I feel so cheated! We should have done all this and more by now. We put a man on the moon with no computers and drawings done by hand.
I watch "2001, A Space Odyssey" part 2 (the space station, etc.) with a Nostalgia for What Might Have Been.

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
...and Collier's 1950 atomb-bomb issue, in my new blog post.

- Phil