Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    What about Mr.Bradbury's favorite Authors?

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What about Mr.Bradbury's favorite Authors?
 Login/Join

posted
(Many apologies if there is already a post up about this, but I searched and I could not find the answer to my question.)

We all have our own favorite authors, and many of us include Ray Bradbury in that extensive list. My question is as follows: Who are Mr. Bradbury's favorites?

He mentions certain people like Poe and others, but which ones are his true favorites?

"Oh, death!"

Posts: 176 | Location: The Forest of Aokigahara, Japan | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hg Wells and Steinbeck, oddly enough

Posts: 386 | Registered: 31 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
He has listed many favourites over the year. Burroughs, Wells, Steinbeck, Dickens, Shaw and Poe are often listed. I'm interested more in the ones he cites less often, such as Eudora Welty, Willa Cather, Sherwood Anderson.

Coming soon should be Jon Eller's new book BECOMING RAY BRADBURY, which is a chonological/biographical examination of all of Bradbury's influences as he was developing as a writer. This will reveal even more of Ray's less-declared favourites.

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you philnic, I didn't know he liked Sherwood Anderson! This makes my day, as I found his "Many Marriages" to be quite an entertaining read.

"Oh, death!"

Posts: 176 | Location: The Forest of Aokigahara, Japan | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Anderson's Winesburg, Ohio influenced Bradbury's collation of The Martian Chronicles, and undoubtedly had a small influence on Dandelion Wine.

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Then I am off to my local library to read it. Thanks again!

"Oh, death!"

posted Hide Post
Ray also loves the Brittish writer John Collier. Mostly known as a short story writer who always has a twist at the end of a story. Many of his stories were used for Alfred Hitchcock's TV series. Ray also gave a copy of 'Fancies and Goodnights' to Rod Serling to consider for Twilight Zone episodes.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Collier_(writer)

John King Tarpinian
You know what you are, Mr. Bradbury? ... You are a poet! -- Aldous Huxley

Posts: 2745 | Location: Glendale, California | Registered: 11 June 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
John Collier you say? I do not think I have ever heard of him, though your link may open some doors for me.

"Oh, death!"

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jkt:
Ray also gave a copy of 'Fancies and Goodnights' to Rod Serling to consider for Twilight Zone episodes.

Ray also gave him the collected stories of Roald Dahl, a favourite of mine.

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post