Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    short story browsing

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

short story browsing
 Login/Join

posted
Dear friens, specially for you i've created the separate page on my site, where you can browse through the list of short stories with much comfort.

Try it: http://raybradbury.ru/stories_eng/

You can group the story alphabetically, by year, by collection and search the title (entering the substring into field).

In the resulting list you can always see remark, telling you in what collection you can find this story.

I hope, that will be useful for you, Bradbury lovers.

Posts: 173 | Location: Russia | Registered: 05 February 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Pavel,

a great feature, thanks for doing this!

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Pavel. We all can make really practical use from this.

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Pavel, a monumental and detailed approach to Ray's writing. I would hate to think how long it might have taken you to accomplish this feat.

Posts: 1525 | Location: Sunrise, FL, USA | Registered: 28 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
спасибо!

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nard Kordell:
Thanks, Pavel. We all can make really practical use from this.

Nard, Wayne from Green Town here. It looks like you relocated. Please send your email address and other contact info to me at MrElectrico [at sign]WayneMunn [dot] com. I'd like to stay in touch.

Wayne

Posts: 4 | Location: Waukegan, IL | Registered: 26 November 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you Pavel very much! This is a new land for me.

Posts: 1 | Location: Riga, Latvia | Registered: 08 August 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Braling II:
спасибо!

Пожалуйста Smiler

quote:
I would hate to think how long it might have taken you to accomplish this feat.

5 years working on site and collecting stories Smiler Also some info was taken from great site made by Phil.

Posts: 173 | Location: Russia | Registered: 05 February 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Pavel, it's Greek to me!

All kidding aside, I hope that you are familiar with the American adage one says when one does not know what language they might be looking at.

Posts: 1525 | Location: Sunrise, FL, USA | Registered: 28 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by biplane1:
Pavel, it's Greek to me!

All kidding aside, I hope that you are familiar with the American adage one says when one does not know what language they might be looking at.

The russian word was for Braling II, who seems to understand it.

No, i never heard such an adage. What is the full text? Or you mean 'Greek to me'? Ok, i found it in dictionary Smiler

posted Hide Post
Hey Pavel, I am not sure where the saying came from and why those chose "Greek" instead of "Italian" or "Armenian" or whatever. But I just remember through all the years of growing up and in later life (I will soon be 62) that whenever someone didn't understand something, it could be a concept or set of instructions or passage of a book, the retort was simply "Hey, it's Greek to me!" indicating that they had no clue what was meant.

What did the dictionary say about it? Just curious. Say Pavel, send me your email address to clmi9901@msn.com as I have a question for you not to bore the rest of the Board.

And by the way, how are you and Braling II able to place a Russian word onto your text in the post?

posted Hide Post
Biplane, F.Y.I, I simply said "Thank you" and Pavel responded with the Russian equivalent of "You're welcome."
I'm not fluent in Russian, but I know some useful and not-so-useful phrases in over 20 languages - programming at Marionettes, Inc, don't you know!
All I do is highlight a phrase (ctrl c) and paste it into the post (ctrl v).
I had a teacher who used to say he understood every language except Greek; and when asked if he knew, say, Russian, he'd reply, "that's Greek to me!" Ελληνικός, that is!

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by biplane1:
book, the retort was simply "Hey, it's Greek to me!" indicating that they had no clue what was meant.

Yes, there are many curious things in languages. For example, we use the word 'Nemets' for 'German person', which is close to Russian equivalent to 'dumb' -- as if Germans were dump when trying to speak Russian. Smiler It was long ago, but the word is like this in modern language.

quote:
What did the dictionary say about it? Just curious.

The same as you have explained (Syn: gibberish)

quote:
Say Pavel, send me your email address to clmi9901@msn.com as I have a question for you not to bore the rest of the Board.

Sent.

quote:
And by the way, how are you and Braling II able to place a Russian word onto your text in the post?

Very easy: i have russian OS Windows, Explorer and keyboad layout Smiler

quote:
- programming at Marionettes, Inc, don't you know!

What's this? Is there are really company named Marionettes, Inc?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Pavel Gubarev,

posted Hide Post
Pavel, I think that this is illustrative of another American saying in that I believe Braling II was "pulling your leg." I am sure that there is something similar in your language to mean "joking with you," or "just kidding around."

I believe that Marionettes, Inc. was simply a fabrication of Ray Bradbury's creative mind! And unless someone can prove different I am sticking to my story.

posted Hide Post
Okay, biplane, as to why we say "Greek" instead of "Italian" or some such other language:

(from /Brewer's Dictionary of Phrase and Fable/):

"Quite unintelligible; an unknown tongue or language. Casca says, "For mine own part, it was all Greek to me." (/Julis Caesar/, 1,2.)"

Apparently yet another of the Bard's contributions to our (and now, perhaps, other's) language!

Posts: 48 | Registered: 03 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post