Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    The Martian Chronicles, the Movie (?)
Page 1 2 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Martian Chronicles, the Movie (?)
 Login/Join

posted
Recently, I found myself flipping about the pages of Bradbury fandom, when I stumbled upon something extremely curious to my tastes. Someone reported that there was, or was to be a Martian Chronicles movie, made in 2001. After recovering quickly from the dissapointment of my dream being pre-enacted by someone else (that dream being to make such a film. Yes, I know it was also done about 30 years ago as well, but I wished to make a more recent one), I went on a search for more information. I must say, I have been thoroughly disappointed. The only clue I discovered that let me know the film actually existed was on imdb.com. But the lack of information was not too much of a help there, either. Should anyone have any knowledge upon this topic, I'd be very thankful if you'd graciously pass it on to me, if not also to all others who might be curious

Posts: 1 | Location: In the scenic land of potatoes | Registered: 29 November 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Is it possible the Internet Movie Database was listing a movie meant to be released in 2001 which wasn't actually? It seems there should be more about a released movie than *that*. All I know of is the 1980 TV series, notable for being pretty bad, and that individual stories from the book have appeared on "Ray Bradbury Theater."

Posts: 2694 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I seem to remember a fairly recent (the past few years)interview with Ray in which this project was briefly mentioned. I think he said that Spielberg was involved/interested in the project to some extent.

Posts: 9 | Registered: 20 October 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Venusian Silencer posted that Bradbury recently said the script was in its tenth draft, meaning the movie is nowhere near ready to be filmed, let alone finished, alas.

[This message has been edited by dandelion (edited 01-11-2002).]

Posts: 2694 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In reference to a movie being made of Martian Chronicles, Ray mentioned when I and my family visited him at his home in 1996, that in addition to F451 being remade (now questionable) he wanted MC to be remade as he wasn't happy with the TV version of it. Yes, it was a movie, but a TV movie and was not released to theaters.

Ray commented on the fact that he wasn't entirely happy with how the TV version was done and would really like to see it adapted for the big screen.

The next time that I speak with Ray I will ask him about MC and see what his comments are. I do not wish to abuse the privilege of him having given me his phone number many years ago, and he doesn't seem to mind when I call once in a while. Most recently it was to find out that a movie is being shot in Yucatan, Mexico of his story The Sound of Thunder starring Pierce Brosnan.

Posts: 39 | Location: Plantation, FL USA | Registered: 19 October 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
from what i understand, Frank Darabont was going to try to make a 9-hour mini-series of "The Martion Chronicles" along with writing the screenplay for a new version of "451".
apparently, he has put "451" on the top of his priority list because he has been mentioneing it while doing press for "The Majestic"...

Posts: 15 | Location: florence, al | Registered: 19 January 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
... that's "The MARTIAN Chronicles"...
ooops.

Posts: 15 | Location: florence, al | Registered: 19 January 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Now this.

Re: "No writer is on board the new Martian Chronicles." I'll do it! And for cheap! Just to make sure it's done right! This is my favorite book, and, although I have high hopes for Paramount's quest, I remain apprehensive. When Universal had it, Ray used to tell me "Universal's got seventeen scripts on THE MARTIAN CHRONICLES, including five by me! We'll colonize Mars before the damn thing gets made!"

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Why they would want anyone else but Ray to write the script, I have no idea.

Posts: 386 | Registered: 31 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Here we go again! I hope for the best, but fear the worst.

If we DO colonise Mars before the thing gets made, at least the locations will be authentic Big Grin

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fanboy:
Why they would want anyone else but Ray to write the script, I have no idea.

On this note, I sadly recollected on The Twilight Zone's fan choice for the worst episode in the series...which was "I sing the body electric".

I personally rank that as one of my favorite episodes. Much better than the Fan all time favorite "Time enough at last"...

"Oh, death!"

Posts: 176 | Location: The Forest of Aokigahara, Japan | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Seriously, they chose that as worst? I would have thought "Come Wander with Me" and a couple of others would have been ahead of it.

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Of course, if they'd filmed "I Sing..." as written, it might have turned out better...

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by philnic:
Of course, if they'd filmed "I Sing..." as written, it might have turned out better...

That incident was Ray's last straw with regards to Rod.

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Chiming in, for what its worth...
The TZ episode, even so, still brings a tear to my eye. And the NBC Peacock Theatre "The Electric Grandmother", Jeffrey Kindley adaptation is perfect.

Posts: 861 | Location: Tuscaloosa, Alabama | Registered: 06 July 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post