Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    TAKING A VOTE!--

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

TAKING A VOTE!--
 Login/Join

posted
--Since this old-fashioned site doesn't seem to have an option for polls. If it is at all within human power, I plan to compare this board with the new one and have any posts which didn't make the move restored to their threads on the new board. The question is, what to do with posts made since the split on this board on old threads, not to mention whole new threads just on this board? Of a number of options, what should we do? I wouldn't be doing anything on newer posts till all the older ones are taken care of, so will continue to move this up for consideration. By then some sort of concensus should have been reached.

Posts: 2694 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It does pose a unique problem. My thoughts are to transfer the newer posts from this "lifeboat/martian outpost/ghost town/old R.B. site" to a new topic heading on the new R.B. boards, maybe call it "Abstract". A section thats more loosely organized where you could quote poetry, get more humorous, or post more off topic stuff but still roughly related to R.B. Then this site should definitely be purged with fire of course, like the Bounty. At the least made so posting is no longer possible. Its just too Twilight Zoned.

Onward to Mars!

Posts: 318 | Location: Louisville, KY United States | Registered: 27 February 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I hate to throw anything away that evokes memories.
Maybe save this stuff in a file called "A Scent Of Sarsaparilla" ?

Posts: 901 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I hope you can save it all. Otherwise it would be like some great library burning down and future generations would never know what was in it.

Posts: 206 | Location: Manchester CT | Registered: 26 August 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I agree, Dandelion said she was transferring all of the old posts over, I'm saying the newer ones should go to a more abstract topic heading such as what Braling said(I like it). Then I think the newly really vacant town should be burned to the ground like in High Plains Drifter, to have closure. Figuratively speaking of course, just make the old town inoperable, then we'll all be on the same page. Probably be easier on Dandelion as well.

Onward to Mars!

Posts: 318 | Location: Louisville, KY United States | Registered: 27 February 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Good points, Robot Lincoln. Keeping the information separate and accessible is the way to go. And then, as you might break a glass you have toasted with in order to be sure no other toasts will be made with it�

Posts: 206 | Location: Manchester CT | Registered: 26 August 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Exactly, I don't know about you but I'm getting weblash.

Onward to Mars!

posted Hide Post
Good, I am glad to hear people would like posts saved, even in a more abstract heading, as it's possible this place will disappear someday.

Posts: 2694 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well, I'm glad at least a good many of the posts made the move, although it resulted in some being lost and others duplicated.

I do want to keep putting preservation appeals out there into the universe. The old board was supposedly eradicated from the web after the transferring of the posts, but (don't tell anybody) it still exists as I have accessed it through old links and Google searches. Somewhere on this earth, now or in the future, there has to be technology capable of:

1. Preserving ALL content from the old board

2. Comparing it with content from the new board and eliminating duplications, and

3. Preserving the whole thing in a semi-indestructible format in the Center for Ray Bradbury studies and in this place: http://www.hellolouisville.com...nd_adventure/199433/

Can some friend of the forum find a source to access this technology before accident befalls the forum? Don't look at me; I appear to have lost five of the six pages of material I tried to save and there are hundreds if not thousands of pages here. https://raybradburyboard.com/ev...1093901/m/3997024316

Personally, I LOVE being able to bump up threads five and ten years old when the subject arises again or something emerges to add to it, but we shouldn't treat the internet as a filing cabinet where we can just shove material in and expect to always be able to retrieve it at will.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: dandelion,

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The idea of web preservation is already out there, and is one of the things Archive.org tries to do.

Their WAYBACK MACHINE takes you back to older, preserved pages of web, although it isn't perfect, and not all pages get preserved. However, text-only pages seem to fare better than modern image/animation-rich pages.

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Can you say "ephemeral?"

John King Tarpinian
You know what you are, Mr. Bradbury? ... You are a poet! -- Aldous Huxley

Posts: 2745 | Location: Glendale, California | Registered: 11 June 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I can, yes.
Big Grin

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Be careful! Some classic stuff beneath the dust and cobwebs:

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-A5rQ...0/shermanpeabody.jpg

Posts: 2803 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If it must be, better that text alone be preserved even at the desecration of my beautiful Buster Keaton thread!

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post