Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    Booked on Dennis Miller Show
Page 1 2 3 4 5 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Booked on Dennis Miller Show
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
With all the electronic information available out there nowadays, what would it take to track down the identity of this Mr. Electrico?

The actual name of the carnival that came into Waukegan on Labor day, way back when Ray was 12, was:

Dill Brothers Combined Shows

Perhaps a judicious person could track it down thru old newspapers from Waukegan. Perhaps somewheres, in some fine print, in some scribble pencil markings on a ledger sheet stuck in some drawer, would find the identity of Mr. Electrico.

Did he appear elsewhere? Was there an employment listing of the carnival with the real name of this individual posted somewhere in the accounting books?

Could there be an old photo somewheres?

Ray always wished he knew who this Mr. Electrico truly was.

Any suggestions out there.. ... ?

[This message has been edited by Nard Kordell (edited 07-17-2004).]

Posts: 2280 | Location: Laguna Woods, California | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As I remember, Sam Weller said Mr. Electrico had been identified and would be named in the book. Don't know about pictures.

I gotta read that about Ray and Skip. It seems to go against what I was told about them not getting along as kids and having no use for each other as adults.

As far as a child being a replacement--I wrote Ray about what extreme negative feelings "Remember Sascha?" provoked in me, despite being a lovely story in some ways. I was meant to be named "Jimmy" after my father's brother, who died tragically at the age of 12, altering the course of family history. My dad seems to have never got over the disappointment of my not being a boy, which so far I have been unable to make up to him. He is now 86 and I'll be 43 soon and despair of reconciling the situation. To my knowledge, even with four girls, Ray never gave any of them to understand they "should" have been boys.

[This message has been edited by dandelion (edited 07-17-2004).]

Posts: 2694 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nard,

Now why didn't I think of Oprah? F-451 would be the perfect book for her club. (I think they're deep into Anna Karenina now and won't surface for some time.) He'd be the perfect guest.

Best,

Pete

Posts: 547 | Location: Oklahoma City, OK | Registered: 30 April 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Oprah Show (Book Club) was mentioned long ago in the archives of this board as a perfect forum for Ray Bradbury, if memory serves me. I think that some contacted the show (I know that I was one) in hopes that Oprah would pick one of the books of the most famous, LIVING writer in America.

Posts: 333 | Registered: 12 January 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi all!

I'm coming out of "lurk" for a moment, just long enough to ask -- Did anyone have the chance to tape Ray's appearance on Dennis Miller? If so, I'd be happy to pay for a tape and shipping, if that person would send me a copy.

I hope all is well with everyone!

(Back to lurking)

Greg

Posts: 139 | Registered: 01 October 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'd be interested in purchasing a video, also.

Greg: How are book sales going for "Cicadas"? I recall that the first edition sold out, right? Did you do, like, a local book tour (lectures, appearences, etc.)? You teach high school english, if I recall. Will you be using it in class at all? Or, did the school at least purchase some copies for the library?

Congratulations again, on doing the book and selling it.

Nice to "see" you again.

Posts: 1964 | Location: McKinney, Texas | Registered: 11 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi Mr. Dark! Good to "see" you again, too.

'Big Cicadas' sold out three solid-sized printings, so it did well for a book with no publicity provided by the publisher. I did local signings, readings, and interviews, and they all went well. Then, unfortunately, the entire company folded...around December, I think. However, the experience definitely helped me get my foot in the door, so to speak. The reviews on Amazon.com have all been positive, and I'm now working on several other projects. A chapbook of my poems, "Snow and Sand," was published by Foothills Publishing last year, and it looks like they'll print a second collection, too. (If anyone wants one, let me know and I'll send a copy along -- I have some complimentary copies I'll be happy to give away.) I'm also working on new stories and a screenplay.

I thought "The Cat's Pajamas" was a fantastic collection! I love the scope of the stories -- not just in terms of plot, but in terms of when they were written. It's extraordinary that so many wonderful stories from the '40's have never seen the light of day until now. They, along with those from the '50s, '80's, and the present, provide an amazing blend.

And now we have Sam's book to look forward to!

Best,
Greg

Posts: 139 | Registered: 01 October 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Dandelion:

Your last post hit on something about Ray's stories that has always interested me: their power to provoke and disturb. His writings are not all sweetness and light, we ought to remember. 'The Small Assassin' is that kind of story for me, and 'Heavy Set' too, which is about a character based on his brother Skip. Mengeling's account of the siblings does not suggest that they hated each other, but certainly, if you were expected to 'mirror' an earlier (now dead) twin, in your behavior, you might find it more difficult to establish a separate sense of identity. As you say, growing up they had little use for each other, being very different personalities. The mirror is an important carnival theme in Ray's writings, as are twins, and the Mengeling study discusses this (as does our study). I'm not a psychobiographer by the way; In fact quite the opposite. I just posted Prof. M.'s book because I thought it might be of interest to a forum whose ostensible topic is resources in studying Bradbury (while we await the Weller biography).

Bill Touponce

P. S.

Can I change my username to M. Munigant?

[This message has been edited by wtouponc (edited 07-17-2004).]

[This message has been edited by wtouponc (edited 07-17-2004).]

Posts: 19 | Location: Indianapolis, Indiana | Registered: 27 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Green Shadow

Yep. I know the Oprah Winfrey suggestion was posted before. But what the heck. Post it again.

I went to her show back in 1994. Now if I was really smart, I would have suggested something along those lines, especially since everyone who wanted to got to shake her hands after the taping. But back then there was no book club.

Somewheres, someone in the higher ups should do something to get Ray into an interview. Oprah has a ''home'' in Santa Barbara (Monticeto) which is north of Los Angeles. But I'm sure she's there many times for other reasons.

HEY! Somebody hook these two up!!

Posts: 2280 | Location: Laguna Woods, California | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Dandelion: Funny, I had just re-read "Remembering Sasha" the other day. My wife and I loved that story, as we were just about as crazy as the people in the story in relating to the new human that was then floating in amniotic fluid. We called him Benjamin and talked through the tummy to him all the time, as did the people in the story (Ray and Maggie?. Well, Benjamin came to this world one day and became Shelley. She was loved as much as a Benjamin would have been. I am sorry that your experience was not the same. One can only be what we we are and hopefully enlightened parents will love us for the possibilities that lie ahead ahead of us as we mature and grow. Ben....I mean Shelley is doing just fine as an artist. Imagine if Benjamin had come instead and he was an artist? Hummm?

Posts: 257 | Location: Laguna Hills, CA USA | Registered: 02 January 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
From "Anne of the Island," by L. M. Montgomery, in which I have found many words of wisdom:

"Isn't he perfectly beautiful?" said Diana proudly.

The little fat fellow was absurdly like Fred -- just as round, just as red. Anne really could not say conscientiously that she thought him beautiful, but she vowed sincerely that he was sweet and kissable and altogether delightful.

"Before he came I wanted a girl, so that I could call her ANNE," said Diana. "But now that little Fred is here I wouldn't exchange him for a million girls. He just COULDN'T have been anything but his own precious self."

"`Every little baby is the sweetest and the best,' " quoted Mrs. Allan gaily. "If little Anne HAD come you'd have felt just the same about her."

Posts: 2694 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
And I tuned in... I thought the show was very good.

Just thought you would like to know... I am also a big fan and have been for a long time of Ray Bradbury. An inspiration to us all. To the young authors and inspiriing amateurs who he has touched by his work. Taking us on all those journies and allowing us to tag along in the pages of his many books.

With no offense to my other post about farienheit 9/11... I did lose three people in that, they were there and then gone in a blink of an eye. The more I see that... the more I really Loath, hate and despise Michael Moore, and hopes his picture flops and he gets thrown out of Hollywood on his preverbal Ass.

What a disrespectful idiot he is... That is no fricking way to remember the 3000 people who died that horrible day. I found it as I said, and apologize if it offended anyone, very demeaning and insulting.

Nathaniel A. Miller

Amateur Writer/Sys Admin

Nathaniel A. Miller

Posts: 8 | Location: Mesquite, NV USA | Registered: 16 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I spoke with Ray Friday the 16th and he said that he enjoyed being on the show very much.
He said that Dennis told him that he loved Ray and that touched Ray very much.

A lot of people have not taken Dennis too seriously, but he is a very intelligent person and very articulate. My wife commented that he wasted no words, did not hem and haw with Ray, but was very concise in his comments and questions to Ray.

I, too, felt that the visit with Ray was far too short. And I agree that a 60 Minutes or Dateline segment would also be time well spent for the networks to pay homage to such a literary treasure as Ray Bradbury.

Perhaps Ray's health will allow him to consider other such opportunities.

Posts: 294 | Location: Sunrise, FL, USA | Registered: 28 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What amazed me was that Miller not only respected Ray, but full-on WORSHIPPED him! You can really tell this guy is a hardcore fan!
Yes the segment could've been longer, especially for us. There wasn't any "new" information for us, but it was just good to see Ray as alive as ever!

Posts: 411 | Location: Azusa, CA | Registered: 11 February 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I also liked how Dennis Miller ended the show. First he named all his guests and thanked them for coming, as talk show hosts always do, then he made a special point of thanking the audience for being so gracious to Ray. Dennis said that he appreciated it and that it meant a lot to Ray. I thought that was really sweet. It's so clear that Dennis totally worships Ray. I love it!

Posts: 581 | Location: Naperville, IL 60564 | Registered: 04 January 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post