Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    Harper Lee lawsuit

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Harper Lee lawsuit
 Login/Join

posted
It seems Harper Lee is claiming her agent has duped her out of income (and potential income) from her classic To Kill A Mockingbird:

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/kill-...1753739.html#i0PQQpF

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
One of my best friends owns the publishing company that owns the stage rights to the same book. Harper Lee is also claiming they duped her. Apparently, it was common for writers back in the day to sign over rights for what seemed at the time to be significant money. Only when the book becomes a classic do they realize all they lost, then they cry foul. Problem is, they had no foresight, AND it was common practice then. Honestly, what young author WOULDN'T jump at the chance to be published and think they'd hit pay dirt if any kind of monetary compensation were involved? Even the Lennon/McCartney made foolish choices in a similar situation.

Posts: 14 | Registered: 17 June 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Possibly so, but if you read the story you will see that the claim is that in 2002 Harper Lee's agent became ill, and his son-in-law took over and had her sign documents she did not understand. So this is a claim that IN RECENT YEARS she has been deprived of income/potential income - and that the new agent has been lining his own pockets!

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Unfortunate, for sure, if its true. I'm just not sure it's true, because she is also maintaining that she didn't understand the agreement she signed concerning the stage rights. It's an old contract and is essentially an eternal contract. Ms. Lee was content with it for years until recently. She now says it isn't fair, and she didn't understand it all those years ago. My friend (actually married into the family who owns the publishing company) says that Ms. Lee is quite cantankerous and is often creating problems. It's unfortunate that Ms. Lee feels cheated, but she did sign these contracts. Just giving another perspective from the other side. It only came up with my friend, because I was telling her how much I love the book, while we were taking a walk. I DO so love that book.

Posts: 14 | Registered: 17 June 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I commented previously here of the wonerful parallels of TKAM and RB's DW.

Two siblings, small town, summer experiences of adventure, fears, life, death, shadows in the night, things down the street, people you can love, and others you can forever be taken away by. Civil War witnesses, front porches where the most important news is passed from person to person, and, of course, walks past neighborhood unknowns. Friends who come and go, relatives to look up to, but who are not always there when you most need them.

Miss Lee remained an non-publicity seeker for many decades after the book was released. It seems the discrepancy of the book's copyright lies with her not being clearly aware of what was taking place, as Phil has emphasized.

Here is a most recent U.S. version: http://www.latimes.com/feature...0504,0,4159563.story

I taught TKAM for many years. It remains a classic among classics. Loved by all who read it, in my classroom experiences! Miss Lee, when asked why she did not continue to write other books after such an initial success with TKAM, responded: "I did not need to write another book. I said what I wanted to say in that book."

If such a love is created from one's inner energies, I doubt money would ever be a motivation to change its status.

Cantankerous, yes! Yet to release the rights after a lifetime of protection...seems dubious.

Posts: 2803 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post