Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    Dandelion Wine movie?
Page 1 2 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Dandelion Wine movie?
 Login/Join

posted
Is there a film version of Dandelion Wine in the works?

Posts: 5 | Registered: 25 September 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just replied to this post, but apparently my message was lost in the ether...

I haven't heard of any firm plans for a film version of this book. It would be a difficult one to do, I think, due to the episodic nature of the narrative. But others here are much more knowledgeable than I, and can tell you for certain if such a film is even in the earliest planning stages.

However, I would certainly like to see a film version of this! To see Green Town, Illinois, as it is in the book, and not the rather sad, run-down version of the town of Waukegan as it appears in the present day--now that would be something.

And yet, I don't know that any film could compare to the vision I have in my head. I can picture it all so clearly, most particularly stories like "The Swan." I don't know that any film could possibly be as good as the one I would imagine.

I suppose I need to read the play version of this book. Has anyone else here read it, and how does it compare to the original?

Posts: 85 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 20 June 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for posting a reply. I figured someone at this site would have thoughts on the topic. I have toyed with the idea of penning a screenplay version of the book (egads!) with the hopes of someday acquiring the budget big enough to make happen. I'd imagine it would have to play out like "Amelie" for Bradbury's world, eh? Just think of all the scenes! And it wouldn't be a musical like the one that already exists...
At any rate... a pipedream. The book blew my mind in high school and now, at 32 with one movie under my belt, I am courting the whim of taking on the project. A grand undertaking for certain, but one that may very well need to happen - for someone at least...
Thanks for your input.

posted Hide Post
You might check out Robert Altman's "Short Cuts". This movie tied together about eight Raymond Carver short stories. This has a dark side and nudity, but you might look at how he tied the stories together. In the case of DW, of course, the characters are already tied together, but it might be worth checking it out.

Posts: 1964 | Location: McKinney, Texas | Registered: 11 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Somewheres, way way back in the posts, there is a small film company noted, with web address, that made a film, a short film, of 'Dandelion Wine'. Whatever happened to it, is ??? And then there was a Russian film company noted in previous posts somewheres that did a film... and that one is with ???s as to what has become of it or how to find it....

Click here for info on the Russsian version of 'Dandelion Wine' (Vino iz Oduvanchikov)
Clicking on the' info' may take a minute to download...
http://www.genordell.com/stores/spirit/RBmedia.htm

[This message has been edited by Nard Kordell (edited 09-26-2003).]

Posts: 2280 | Location: Laguna Woods, California | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Great. Thanks for that link. I'll do some more research.

posted Hide Post
Mr. Dark - Yes. I see how "Short Cuts" relates to DW. Makes sense. My hopes would be to string Douglas Spaulding's thread through the whole story line, linking as many of the chapters together... Don't know if it can work. As with any book-to-movie project some are disatrous (Bonfire of the Vanities) and some are brilliant (Shawshank Redemption). "Something wicked..." was a great adaptation. And I thought they were remaking Far. 451? At any rate, I'll continue to do research on the topic. Thanks.

posted Hide Post
Octobercountry, I started to read the play version of Dandelion Wine, but I'm afraid I couldn't stomach it - it seems so twee and sugary-sweet compared to the novel. I've recently read the plays of F451 and Martian Chronicles, and both of these seem to strike exactly the right tone, while leaving an awful lot open to interpretation in the staging; Dandelion Wine, on the other hand, seems to dictate a particular visual style which (to me) jars with the images I get from reading the novel.

Still, I've just re-read the short story "I Sing the Body Electric", which I used to (ten-fifteen years ago) find horrendously over-written; but now it seems quintessential Bradbury in style. Maybe Dandelion Wine (play) will seem that way to me one day.

Phil

Posts: 406 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Perhaps not entirely fair to count this in the same category as a book, as, being written in play form, it was halfway in film form already, but did anyone see the terrific Broadway version of Thornton Wilder's Pulitzer Prize winning "Our Town," with Paul Newman as the stage manager? It just aired on PBS--we are still crying!

"The Member of the Wedding" is a wonderful story of American small town life which made two fine films. One black-and-white, one color, one theatrical, one for TV, both great.

Next to these two stories, I would count Thomas Wolfe's "Look Homeward, Angel" and Ray Bradbury's "Dandelion Wine" as the most brilliant written depictions of 20th Century American small-town life. "Look Homeward, Angel" was adapted into a play, which, like "Our Town," won the Pulitzer Prize, but I don't know of it's ever being filmed. "Dandelion Wine" has NEVER appeared as a full-length movie, except in Russia, where it was a miniseries, not available on video in this country. If done properly, it's about time for these. If not done well, then never.

Posts: 2694 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Dandelion,

I caught Our Town and thought it was a wonderful production. I'd recently re-read the play and had forgotten how powerful it is. Of course, I'd made the connection between Our Town and Dandelion Wine (Sorry. Never read any of Wolfe.)and think it would be an interesting term paper for any of the students on this board. Yes, the surface details are similar: small town life depicted in, perhaps, a nostalgic light but the underlying themes of the power of memory and the importance of living every day in the moment and cherishing the present as well as the past. But it might be challenging to compare and contrast the styles of each writer and how they chose to tackle the very similar subject matter.

(Tears? You're darn tootin'! Anyone unmoved by this production needs to see where they've mis-laid their heart. Newman was great, of course, but so was the rest of the cast. I'm usually a stickler for realistically presented theatre but I was entranced and taken in by the suggested pantomimes and sets with no problem. Yeah, I know this play is a chestnut put on by just about every high-school and community theatre but there's a good reason for it: You can't go wrong with good material.)

Pete

Posts: 547 | Location: Oklahoma City, OK | Registered: 30 April 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Pete--you are absolutely right, of course--I happened to miss having the play in high school due to switching schools, but read it after the episode of "The Wonder Years" in which Winnie Cooper played the part of Emily in their school production. My mom's comment about that was that the line, "Oh, earth, you're too wonderful for anybody to realize you" was "so great she couldn't even spoil it by her poor delivery." (I actually didn't find her delivery all that poor. In fact, I consider "The Wonder Years" to be the late 20th Century's natural successor to the early 20th Century's "Our Town" and "It's a Wonderful Life." It was one of the few consistently excellent TV series ever, with never a single bad episode or even mediocre moment.)

"Dandelion Wine," "Our Town," and "It's a Wonderful Life" are not only all fine, if a bit sentimental, portrayals of American small-town life, but make vital comments on realizing the value of individuals' own lives. In "Dandelion Wine," Douglas asks, "Tom...does everyone in the world...know he's alive?" "Sure. Heck, yes!" "I hope they do," whispered Douglas. "Oh, I sure hope they know."

In "Our Town," right after the line quoted above, Emily asks, "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?
Stage Manager: No. (Pause.) The saints and poets, maybe--they do some."

And, of course, in "It's a Wonderful Life," George Bailey's guardian angel, Clarence, reminds him that one man's life touches so many, when he is gone, it leaves an awful hole.

Another similiarity between all three is that an important moment of romantic bonding takes place at a drugstore soda fountain. Perhaps it's the decline of the drugstore soda fountain which led to the decline of romance in America!

Mom said a friend of hers met Thornton Wilder and described him as "such a wise man you didn't have to tell him anything. He already knew." This would also be a very apt description of Ray!

Posts: 2694 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I believe that "Dandelion Wine" could be pulled of as a film. It would have to be done as a one season television series. A two hour film wouldn't be near enough time, neither would an eight hour miniseries. PBS could pull it off. They could just make it as long as it needed to be, no padding out, no removing material to shorten it - just put that book right on the screen. As John Houston told Mr. Bradbury, "... tear the pages from your book and cram them into the camera."

Andy

Posts: 209 | Location: Worden, Illinois | Registered: 09 June 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Can we PLEASE get this done in the next two years before Max Records outgrows the part? I have found my Doug Spaulding!

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Dandy ~ This a.m. I was just pondering this! We finished the novel To Kill a Mockingbird in sophs. classes. If the moods and nostalgia of the Academy Award winning movie of TKMB (now being viewed) could be captured, Dandelion Wine would be a fine project to complete.

The many similarities in the two books have always intrigued various posters here:
https://raybradburyboard.com/ev...061095901#3061095901

Posts: 2803 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There is most certainly a film in the works! In fact, I just received a call from the producers of the Ray Bradbury film Dandelion Wine. They are close friends of mine and were friends with Ray for 10 years. They need our pledges to support their project. Ray wanted so much for this film to be made. Let's help make it happen. https://www.kickstarter.com/pr...ray-bradburys-iconic

They wanted to know if I knew someone who can take a paid position as a liaison working with the crowdfunding source. This temporary position would last for one month.

Why not go there and make a pledge to show your support for our beloved author who wanted so much that this film be made? He blessed the screenplay and wanted this film to be his last legacy. It would be great to have this project supported by his fans.

Below is exactly what she is looking for, so if you fit the situation, or know anyone else who does, let us know, as she needs someone right away.

Looking for a computer savvy person with experience in crowdfunding. Someone who loves Ray Bradbury and is willing to work with the producers and the Kickstarter team in order to help promote the Kickstarter campaign Dandelion Wine movie. The campaign is already active. Need someone to start immediately. Please contact Natasha at dandelionwinemovie at gmail dot com.

https://www.kickstarter.com/pr...ray-bradburys-iconic

http://variety.com/2015/film/n...bradbury-1201652896/

http://www.crowdfundinsider.co...-kickstarts-to-film/

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Doug Spaulding,

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post