Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    Did anyone catch the jerk pretending to be Ray?

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Did anyone catch the jerk pretending to be Ray?
 Login/Join

posted
I keep reading here that someone came to this board pretending to be Ray Bradbury. Isn't it fairly easy to catch someone who does that? Doesn't each computer use its own code?

At any rate, was the person who did that on this board identified?

Posts: 69 | Location: Matthews, NC, USA | Registered: 20 February 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No, they never were. I finally alerted someone in the know who gave me a name to contact at the publisher's, but by then the joker was long gone, and I haven't had occasion to contact the publisher since then. When I do I will mention this user needs to be banned, but I don't know about identifying them.

Posts: 2694 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Seems like it would be an easy enough task.

Posts: 69 | Location: Matthews, NC, USA | Registered: 20 February 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
James Robert
Smith

Some think YOU may know who that person was... In fact, could that person be YOU?

Posts: 2280 | Location: Laguna Woods, California | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That's hard to do, because most of the time, IP addresses change over and over again.. I noticed on one board that I had to consecutive posts (on separate days) and they had totally different IP addresses.

I'm sorry to say this, but unfortunately, you most likely will not be able to find him. Just know that whoever it is, is such a pathetic loser that they can't even deal with who they are, and they need to pretend to be someone else. With that in mind, his pretensions just don't matter that much anymore.

Posts: 3 | Registered: 03 March 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My own opinion of the person pretending to be Ray is that he's got real problems. The timing of what he did -- right after Ray's wife's death -- was amazingly insensitive and inappropriate. I recommend counseling!

Posts: 1964 | Location: McKinney, Texas | Registered: 11 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's time to show Smith the 'Exit'....

Posts: 2280 | Location: Laguna Woods, California | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
NK: Sad.
No matter what one's views are (and we have had many here), the site that JRS attached to his last post is troublesome. It reflects a spiritless and absolutely lost character. This a Ray Bradbury site, not a get even or personal venting venue.
This entry was totally irresponsible and told far more than the writer's often "craftily" selected words.

Classless...

[This message has been edited by fjpalumbo (edited 03-04-2004).]

fpalumbo

Posts: 732 | Registered: 29 November 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Tristan Kaine,
"IP addresses change over and over again."

This makes sense, at least for me, and, I'm sure, for a few others around here, as most of my posts are done here in my school library between classes. Because of the limited availibility of the many computers here, I end up using a different computer pretty much every time I come to this site. Not that I would pretend to be Ray, of course. That's just vulgar.

[This message has been edited by groon (edited 03-04-2004).]

Posts: 411 | Location: Azusa, CA | Registered: 11 February 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
He would certainly fit the profile of someone pathological; hanging around the crime scene, watching the investigation, receiving enjoyment from the pain he caused, receiving a sense of identity from the reports of his crime. He's probably printing these posts and saving them in a scrapbook and then moving on to his next Fansite.

Nard, you sure caught on quickly. What was it that tipped you off?

Posts: 901 | Location: Sacratomato, Cauliflower | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Jeez...people in the world are so messed up these days...*recalls the MBMB*

<font color=navy>~Melody D.</font>

Posts: 16 | Location: Lancaster, CA, USA | Registered: 04 March 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post