Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    Quicker than the Eye

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Quicker than the Eye
 Login/Join

posted
I (ironically) just opened to the back of "Quicker Than the Eye." For those of you who own the book, re-read Mr. Bradbury's comments about his view of life, living, inspiration, and doing. It becomes apparent, he is also a Zen Master!

As an eight year old boy, he knew that his life would be "magical." Many of the comments in recent posts on this site have asked about his life, topics for research papers, and how to get a feel for his works.

A few passages from the "Quicker than the Eye" reveal (if I may!):

>Make Haste to Live: An Afterword<
Upon seeing a 20 foot tall advertizing broadside of Blackstone the Magician - "I knew then that I would someday become a magician. I pretend to do one thing. Cause you to blink....

I don't write these stories, they write me.
It causes me to live with a boundless enthusiasm. Nonsense. I am a mere practioner of optimal behavior. ...listen to your muses, get your work done, and enjoy the sense that you just may live forever.

I am as out of control as a car off a cliff. (In Dublin) ..I rushed to the (Olympia) theater (upon hearing of a one time only performance by Laurel and Hardy)..

The curtain rose, ...Stan and Ollie, doing all of their old, sweet, wonderous routines, I sat with happy tears streaming down my face.

...Later I stood by their dressing room door .. I just wanted to warm my hands and heart.

He then discusses the creation of the stories in the collection QTTE. Fine insights!

Finally, and most interestingly, he ends with a bit of advice. Something the readers of Mr. Bradbury get often and in well-measured doses, never hammered over the head with pompously.

"Don't delay. Jump. Those voices (your own muses) may be gone before you hit the shower.
Speed is everything. The 90 mph dash to your (typing) machine is a sure cure for life rampant and death most real.
Make haste to live.
Oh, God, yes.
Live. Write. With great haste.

Posts: 732 | Registered: 29 November 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post