Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    Help me identify a Bradbury short story?

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Help me identify a Bradbury short story?
 Login/Join

posted
An old friend of mine, a huge Lardner fan, was trying to remember a short story by Lardner he read that was recounted, I think, by the moll of a gangster who had been shot and was evidently on his last legs. She hawked him round among "friends", but nobody was willing to take him in. Finally he expired, leaving, as it turned out, a considerable inheritance to the moll.

Can anyone help me with the title of that story?

Thanks,
Walt Jones

Posts: 1 | Location: La Jolla, CA USA | Registered: 22 July 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I must plead ignorance. Is there a direct relationship between Lardner and Bradbury?

Posts: 2769 | Location: McKinney, Texas | Registered: 11 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Now I am curious. Who is this Lardner? Can you give his/her full name? I want to look for this story/novel. Thanks.

Posts: 4 | Location: San Francisco, CA, USA | Registered: 02 February 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You're probably referring to Ring Lardner, a great American humourist writer of the early 20th century.
He's probably best known for "Alibi Ike".
I've read quite a few of his short stories - this one sound familiar, but I can't recall the title.
Here's a good site: http://www.tridget.com/lardnermania/

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I checked that website and found nothing. Does anyone here remember the name of this story? Hey Braling, is it a short story or a novel?

Posts: 4 | Location: San Francisco, CA, USA | Registered: 02 February 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't think Ring Lardner wrote any novels.
He did write columns, short stories, plays, and even songs.
"Alibi Ike" is one of his Baseball Stories.
If you'd like to know more, here's a site: http://www.tridget.com/lardnermania/
I highly recommend the old recording of a few of his stories read by Henry Morgan (another great name from the past)available at some libraries.

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The person that wrote the novels, was Ring Lardner ...with the jr. at the end of his name. Pops didn't.

Listen to: http://www.wiredforbooks.org/ringlardnerjr/

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Why, the young upstart!

posted Hide Post
Hey Macandal,

I noticed your name. Where did you get it from?

The reason why I am asking is because Macandal was the name of a signifigent Voodoo cult leader during the Haitian revolution. He was captured by French authorities, and brought to Port au Prince to be burned at the stake. He had broken his bonds, and leaped into a crowd of his followers.

Posts: 106 | Location: El Paso, TX. USA | Registered: 04 March 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I got my name from "The Kingdom of This World" by Alejo Carpentier. Macandal (the name is spelled differently, I changed mine to its current estate, I believe it is Makandal) is a prominent figure in the novel along with Tinoel. Now, do you know the name of the Lardner story?

posted Hide Post
You could try the Abebooks forums at http://forums.abebooks.com/abecom/start/ where they have a lot of helpful expert librarians.

Posts: 7305 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post