Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    Technology or parenting?..or both?

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Technology or parenting?..or both?
 Login/Join

posted
I read The Veldt, by Ray Bradbury for my english class and really enjoyed it. It seemed to me that Bradbury does not want technology to get out of hand. I think this story does show that technology can get out of hand, but then again there were other factors contributing to this disaster that occurred.
The parents did not limit the time the children spent in the nursery until it was too late. The parents also could have tried to do more family oriented chores together. Maybe if they had even just cooked a meal together as a family once a week or went on little vacations like they were about to. These little activities might have prevented the loss of connection between them and their children. Even today when technology is not as advanced as it was in The Veldt, there are still some parents that lose connection with their children. This is due to the fact that parents may not know how to stay connected with their children.
I agree with Bradbury that technology can cause disaster. But I also believe other factors are contributed into technological disaster.

Posts: 2 | Registered: 11 February 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
See Zoe712, "Technology in the Veldt"

Posts: 1964 | Location: McKinney, Texas | Registered: 11 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Posts: 2803 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fjp451:
"The Veldt"...it's here:
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/200...d_video_game911_call

And the way to handle this: take away the boy's video games. Come on parents - be parents!

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by katieal:
It seemed to me that Bradbury does not want technology to get out of hand.

Ray has said the following: "I don't try to predict the future. I try to prevent it!"

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fjp451:
"The Veldt"...it's here...

No, the parents have to get eaten by the lions in the game...

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by katieal:
It seemed to me that Bradbury does not want technology to get out of hand. I think this story does show that technology can get out of hand, but then again there were other factors contributing to this disaster that occurred.

When the technology of the nursery gave the children ifinite power over their domain, it appealed to every sense they had. If they were happy with their parents, they would play in a happy place filled with wonderful things. If they just had an arguement with their parents, and they wished for them to go away, the nursery would appeal to those emotions, (spoiler alert) showing their parents being devoured by lions in the Veldt. Over time, this repetive action changed the way the children looked at the world. Death was just another source of entertainment, and their parents did not hold the reigns over the childrens lives.

Bad parenting is not what caused this as once a child's mind is developed a certain way, it can only change through equal amounts of pressure.

Very interesting point of view though, Mr. Katieal!

"Oh, death!"

Posts: 176 | Location: The Forest of Aokigahara, Japan | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Posts: 2803 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post