Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    1st addition of Fahrenheit 451

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

1st addition of Fahrenheit 451
 Login/Join

posted
Does anyone know where i can buy a 1st addition of Fahrenheit 451...and if you know a signed book if at all possible???

~~Mary-B~~

Posts: 1 | Registered: 22 September 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Jim Pepper in Santa Barabara has a choice copy.

Here is some info (from abebooks):

BRADBURY, RAY Fahrenheit 451
New York Ballantine 1953 First Edition, Hardbound Trade Issue. Signed by Ray Bradbury on the title page. Near fine copy in a dust jacket with some restoration by an expert paper conservationist. The basis of the film directed by Francois Truffaut, starring Oscar Werner and Julie Christie which is currently being remade as a major motion picture by director Frank Darabont. One of the great collectable landmarks of science fiction. Book # 11945J
Price: US$ 5500.00

Buy directly from the Bookseller

---------------------------------------------
James Pepper Rare Books, Inc., ABAA,
2026 Cliff Drive, Suite 224,
Santa Barbara, CA, U.S.A., 93109.
Phone: 805-963-1025. Fax: 805-966-9737. Email: pepbooks@aol.com
... A member of ABAA, ILAB

Posts: 85 | Location: San Dimas, CA USA | Registered: 25 January 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Truly "Rare Copy" would be an... asbestos copy of Fahrenheit 451?
The last one I saw was in Sausalito, California. Heard the price 10 yrs ago was over $6000.

Posts: 2280 | Location: Laguna Woods, California | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The last "Asbestos" copy I saw for sale was through a British rare books dealer. Asking price? 10,000 pounds! According to William Nolan, those 200 signed and numbered copies of th 1953 Ballantine HB edition are THE rarest of Ray B. collectibles.

Even a standard hardback first of 451 is scarce...You can't find them with a dustjacket for less than $2000 anymore, unless you're really lucky...The Ballantine DJ of 451 is notoriously fragile, and therefore rare in almost any shape. Altogether, only 4500 were printed. You could probably track down one WITHOUT a dust jacket for a few hundred, if you look hard. One turns up on ebay every few months or so.

Ballantine paperback firsts, however, are much easier to find, and much less expensive. Check ABE.com or Bookfinder.com...There are plenty in fine shape for under $50!

-Greg

Posts: 139 | Registered: 01 October 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The famous Joe Mugnaini illustration of the Fireman on the cover of F451: Is there any references of this representing Capt. Beatty in the memorable scene of his demise or maybe Montag as he is transformed from the old to the new (as a symbolic Phoenix)?

[Posed to me by one of my sophomores - good Question!!]

fpalumbo

Posts: 732 | Registered: 29 November 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wow, that is a great question. In my personal opinion I'd say the latter...Montag transformed, reborn like the phoenix.

Greg

Posts: 139 | Registered: 01 October 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
After some thought, I knew this question needed further discussion in class. This morning students ALL supported the picture as being Guy Montag.

They cited the scene of the books falling about Montag and the book burning at the woman's house. They also argued that Beatty did not deserve to be placed on the cover since it is Montag who (like the Phoenix) overcomes the burning.

So, Montag it is - at least for these hs readers!

[This message has been edited by fjpalumbo (edited 10-07-2002).]

fpalumbo

Posts: 732 | Registered: 29 November 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post