Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    MOON LANDING ANNIVERSARY

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

MOON LANDING ANNIVERSARY
 Login/Join

posted
Where did all the years go?

36th ANNIVERSARY FOR THE MOON LANDING
July 20th, 1969

(oh oh) Where is dandelion? Looks like we need a delete on a posting!

Posts: 116 | Location: Anaheim, CA. | Registered: 21 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You can thank Nard for the prompt delete. I only check this board once a week or so, but he lets me know of problems right away.

Yesterday was a big anniversary here, too. Of moving into this house which it now seems I am determined to rebuild with my own two hands!

Posts: 2694 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Reviving this old thread to remind everyone that tomorrow is the 44th anniversary of the first Moon landing.

Ray Bradbury,of course, was in London when it happened, and famously walked out of a trashy David Frost TV show.

Earlier this year, rocket engines from the Saturn V were recovered from the sea bed. I look forward to the day when we recover some of the Apollo hardware from the Moon itself!

http://idealab.talkingpointsme...ntic-ocean-video.php

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Are there any recent pictures of the equipment on the moon? They have good enough cameras, right?

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by philnic:
Reviving this old thread to remind everyone that tomorrow is the 44th anniversary of the first Moon landing.

Ray Bradbury,of course, was in London when it happened, and famously walked out of a trashy David Frost TV show.

Earlier this year, rocket engines from the Saturn V were recovered from the sea bed. I look forward to the day when we recover some of the Apollo hardware from the Moon itself!

http://idealab.talkingpointsme...ntic-ocean-video.php

Me too.
Earlier today I re-listened to this from 2009:
http://cosmoquest.org/blog/365...t-with-ray-bradbury/

dandelion, perhaps not too recent, but here is a page from NASA.gov: http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/apollo/revisited/

Posts: 861 | Location: Tuscaloosa, Alabama | Registered: 06 July 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Those recent photos of the human relics on the Moon are so tantalising. To think that 40 yers ago we were able to put them there, but with today's technology we have no way to reach it. I know it's merely a question of finance and political will, and that there isn't any real pragmatic reason for going there. But it's been so long now that the landing sites have become time capsules: we know what's in there, but it's been locked away for decades.

I particularly want to see new photographs of Neil Armstrong's footprints in the Sea of Tranquility!

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not sure why they wouldn't have the technology for at least good pictures. They wouldn't have to wait for a manned mission to obtain them.

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's just that the cameras have limited resolution (as all cameras do), and they've been sent out there to image the Moon, not the accidental junk on the surface.

If you can think of a good (i.e. scientific, or profitable) reason for them to get even better pictures than the most recent ones, write to NASA immediately!

- Phil

posted Hide Post
My bad reason is a lot of people think the original landings were faked. You would have to get some awfully good images for these conspiracy nuts not to say they were faked, too.

posted Hide Post
The moon-hoaxers will dispute any photo they are presented with. Even if you put them on a Saturn V and flew them to the moon to see the artefacts ofr themselves, they would say they were fake artefacts and deny that the Saturn had ever left the ground.

They have been thoroughly debunked by the likes of Phil Plait, and deserve no more of our time.

- Phil

posted Hide Post
I didn't like to mention them, but there it is.

posted Hide Post
I think the moon landing anniversary also coincides with the day Claus von Stauffenberg tried, unsuccessfully, to assassinate Hitler in 1944.

Posts: 699 | Location: Cape Town, South Africa | Registered: 29 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Time to bump all the anniversary threads!

posted Hide Post
Happy 53rd anniversary!