Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    Surreal but an actual occurance!
Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Surreal but an actual occurance!
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
Hey Frank, alligators are neat to see for sure, but at a distance.

Anyone remember Bobby Vee (The Night Has a Thousand Eyes, Ruber Ball Come Bouncing Back To Me)? He's from Fargo, ND and now lives in Cold Spring, Minnesota. He and his boys have a group. When I was in Willmar, Minnesota I talked to him about coming to Willmar for a concert as he would appear with the Crickets, Buddy Holly's group. In fact it was because of Buddy Holly's death that Bobby Vee got his start.

Posts: 1525 | Location: Sunrise, FL, USA | Registered: 28 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Must be a lot of geezers on this board - we seem to keep going down these nostalgic rabbit trails; touching on everything from Froggy the Gremlin to Angela Cartwright! And I'm one of the geezin'est!
Seems like there were quite a few "Bobbys" all at once there for a time: Bobby Vee, Bobby Van, Bobby Darin, Bobby Rydell...

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Why, I remember it just as if were yesterday...

Bobby Lowe, 24 years old, breaking into the Big Leagues! Remember that one? Yep, twas the Big Leagues with the Boston Beaneaters. What a team. What a player!

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
And don't forget Bobby Vinton. And, was that Froggy the Gremlin as in, "Pluck your magic twanger, Froggie"?

Posts: 847 | Location: Laguna Hills, CA USA | Registered: 02 January 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Patrask, I remember Froggy the Gremlin very well. And Buster Brown Shoes "And Look For Tyge Too, He's In There Too" referring to the photo of Buster brown on the insole of the shoe.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: biplane1,

Posts: 1525 | Location: Sunrise, FL, USA | Registered: 28 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes, I love the Kingston Trio, the Limeliters, and the Three Ds, who did an excellent musical interpretation of "There Will Come Soft Rains."

As for the Bobbys, there were several famous "Bobby K"s in music, one of whom lives in my town.

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Geezers!? Geezers!? Hey, now watch out there.
http://www.ralphmag.org/DJ/2-old-geezers-eating505x502.gif

Posts: 2803 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There was quite a "Froggy" thread earlier, beginning May 3rd (q.v.).

Yes, geezers!
The term used to mean eccentric, now just old. I, for one, surely qualify for at least one of these definitions. Even the etymolgy, having to do with "guise", as in "disguise", may apply to those of us who maintain some cyber-anonymity!

Great, photo, Butch!

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"To the Chicago Abyss" is magnifcent in capturing exactly what we are exchanging about in these current posts.

Allusions to the Duncan Sisters, Butterfinger, Lucky Strikes, Pall Malls, Kools, Orange Crush, wind up toys, movie theaters with balconies, books to read, dashboard dials, Milky Ways, dial telephones, antimacassars, licorice whips, all (too) soon forgotten by the our socirty of bytes, clips, and digits.

But, the ever-optimistic RB saves the moment as the story concludes.

Posts: 2803 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
fjp451, My wife and I saw KANSAS last Summer in Sandy.. great gig...
Catch you later.... Uncle ag.

Posts: 49 | Location: Ogden, Utah. | Registered: 05 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sorry Fp I got a little diffused with your last post.. I realized now you were talking about candy. EAR CANDY...that is!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: uncle A.G.,

Posts: 49 | Location: Ogden, Utah. | Registered: 05 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Do alligators generally live only in the Everglades area and not throughout Florida? I've read at least two books set in Florida which make little or no mention of them.

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Dandelion, from what I understand, they generally live in the Everglades, however, they have been sighted in fresh water lakes, canals, and other bodies of water where they can walk to and climb into the water.

On this morning's news, a passerby spotted a 7 footer crawling up an on-ramp of I-95 near Miami. Go figure. Maybe it was heading to Wal Mart or Sam's Club. Seriously though, they (the experts) are saying that two factors are causing the activity with the alligators: 1) lower water levels in the Everglades affecting the food chain, and 2) mating season for the alligators, the males go a courtin'.

We are getting the rain now. Flooding in some sreas, accidents, high winds last evening peeled off the roof of a hangar at Opa Locka air field. From one extreme to another!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: biplane1,

posted Hide Post
Any reports of 'gators around Panama City Beach? Really--we're loadin' up the kids in the Explorer the 2nd week in June for our first ever Big Family Trip. Think Chevy Chase and the Vacation movies.

Being a parent, I'm concerned about a) sharks, and b) 'gators, and you don't get that kind of info from the visitor's bureau. . .

Posts: 195 | Location: Southern Illinois | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
How about little kitty cats? http://wcbstv.com/topstories/local_story_160134355.html

As Jay Leno said, a polar bear goes through the neighborhood, no problem, but a black bear is harassed!