Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    The Leave Taking...
Page 1 ... 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 ... 109

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Leave Taking...
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doug Spaulding:
"Somewhere a band is playing
Oh listen, oh listen that tune!
If you learn it you’ll dance on forever
In June and yet June and more June.
And Death will be dumb and not clever
And Death will lie silent forever
In June and June and more June."

Well quoted Douglas.
The tune that says follow your loves and so much more...
Thank you Ray Bradbury, I love you.

Posts: 861 | Location: Tuscaloosa, Alabama | Registered: 06 July 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Posts: 2803 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Carla. I had lunch with her a couple years ago and she was then, as always, an absolute delight.

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Daniel Keyes, author of the brilliant novel FLOWERS FOR ALGERNON, has died at age 86. For additional details of his passing, click on the following link:

http://www.locusmag.com/News/2...iel-keyes-1927-2014/

Posts: 2471 | Registered: 26 January 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
How sad. We recently discussed his most famous story, "Flowers for Algernon", elsewhere on this board. I can think of no other author whose reputation rests almost entirely on a single work of less than 15,000 words - but what words! It was enough. RIP.

Footnote: Perhaps I should clarify that a bit. As Richard points out, Flowers for Algernon was a novel as well - but most fans and critics (including me) agree that it doesn't surpass the original short version.

Posts: 700 | Location: Cape Town, South Africa | Registered: 29 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mr. Keyes' story of Charlie Gordon's journey from ridiculed mental weakness to off the chart brilliance ... and back again ... was always a staple in my hs Sci Fi classes. Written as a personal journal from the main character's point of view, I especially looked forward to reading aloud Charlie's sudden understanding and enjoyment of punctuation:

“April 6—Today, I learned, the comma, this is, a, comma (,) a period, with, a tail, Miss Kinnian, says its, importent, because, it makes writing, better, she said, somebody, could lose, a lot, of money, if a comma, isnt in, the right, place, I got, some money, that I, saved from, my job, and what, the foundation, pays me, but not, much and, I dont see how, a comma, keeps, you from, losing it,
But, she says, everybody, uses commas, so Ill, use them, too,,,,

April 7—I used the comma wrong. Its punctuation…Miss Kinnian says a period is punctuation too, and there are lots of other marks to learn.
She said; You, got. to-mix?them!up: She showd? me” how, to mix! them; up, and now! I can. mix (up all? kinds of punctuation— in, my. writing! There” are lots, of rules; to learn? but. Im’ get’ting them in my head:
One thing? I, like: about, Dear Miss Kinnian: (thats, the way? it goes; in a business letter (if I ever go! into business?) is that, she: always; gives me’ a reason” when—I ask. She”s a gen’ius! I wish? I could be smart-like-her;
Punctuation, is? fun!”

My students always appreciated the serious social and psychological topics Mr. Keyes addressed in his classic novel. It was a powerful work on many different levels, and I was privileged to have had many opportunities to share its lessons with my classes.

Peace.

Posts: 2803 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Gerry Goffin.

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
BTW, Mickey Rooney is not my only confirmed victim. I may have offed three celebrities recently. One night I suddenly reflected that all four Monkees were alive, but Davy's health could be better. The next day Davy was dead. (The reason I had a concern for his health was I'd read that he had an alcohol problem. Later I read at the time of his death he was observing a perfectly healthy lifestyle, appeared to be in good shape, and the death came as a total shock.) Then at my friend's I told her how old Mickey Rooney would be if he lived until September. About an hour later I went online and he was dead. Also, I had just joined a fan forum because I was enjoying The Waltons so much, and liked the Facebook pages of all five of the kids who are on Facebook. Four days later, Ralph Waite was dead. I was also pursuing an interest in John Lennon when he died, but that had been going on for at least four years so I can't be blamed for that one. I certainly seem to have the kiss of death, though! Frowner

Posts: 7302 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dandelion:
I certainly seem to have the kiss of death, though! Frowner

This isn't hanging in your closet, is it?

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
No, but a certain item in my yard bears a striking resemblance.

Posts: 7302 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sad farewell to a brave soul who took a perhaps record-breaking amount of time being murdered. http://www.nytimes.com/2014/08...police-say.html?_r=0

posted Hide Post
RIP director Noel Black.

He directed THE ELECTRIC GRANDMOTHER in 1982, based on Ray's "I Sing the Body Electric!"

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Robin Williams.

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doug Spaulding:
Robin Williams.

Sorry, but this is totally bogus. In short, it sucks. Frowner RIP!

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dandelion:
Sorry, but this is totally bogus. In short, it sucks. Frowner RIP!

Yes. You weren't thinking about him the day before, were you?! Smiler

"Live Forever!"