Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    The Leave Taking...
Page 1 ... 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 ... 109

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Leave Taking...
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
Survey says!

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A sad day, but one which we knew would have to come eventually.

Rest in peace, Ray Bradbury (1920-2012).

This message has been edited. Last edited by: philnic,

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The last time I visited him was last month. The last thing I read to him was "Colonel Stonesteel's Genuine Home-Made Truly Egyptian Mummy". The last thing I ate with him was a hickory burger from The Apple Pan. The last thing I said to him was "I love you, Mr B." The last thing he said to me was "I love you, too." And he did. From one kid to another.

I love you, Mr B!

Newspapers on a street corner.

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
BBC news story on Ray's passing:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-18345350

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
LIVE FOREVER DAMN YOU!

I'm so freaking sad!

"Oh, death!"

Posts: 176 | Location: The Forest of Aokigahara, Japan | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This is the post that I was dreading....I didn't know he was that close...my favorite person in the world is gone, so very sad.

Posts: 386 | Registered: 31 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I can't imagine our big world without his intelligent, beautiful and incredible books, stories and tales. And I still don't belive, that he is gone. I trust, he is somewhere near us in summer country and he is still so smart, amazing and woderful, like when he was alive. I love him, his books and everything, what he ever wrote and I know, I'll never forget him.

Stay happy in your country of summer, Mr. Bradbury, because you made it for yourself. Enjoy your country and rest there in peace...

Posts: 1 | Registered: 06 June 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"I look at all the little children's faces going by. And I sometimes think, What a shame, that all these flowers have to be cut, all these bright fires have to be put out. What a shame these, all of these you see in schools or running by, have to get tall and unsightly and wrinkle and turn gray or get bald, and finally, all bone and wheeze, be dead and buried off away. When I hear them laugh I can't believe they'll ever go the road I'm going. Yet here they come! I still remember Wadsworth's poem: 'When all at once I saw a crowd, A host of daffodils: Beside the lake, beneath the trees, Fluttering and dancing in the breeze.' That's how I think of children, cruel as they sometimes are, mean as I know they can be, but not yet showing the meanness around their eyes or in their eyes, not yet full of tiredness. They're so eager for everything! I guess that's what I miss most in older folks, the eagerness gone nine times out of ten, the freshness gone, so much of the drive and life down the drain. I like to watch school let out each day. It's like someone threw a bunch of flowers out the school front doors. How does it feel Willie? How does it feel to be young forever?"

Hail and Farewell Ray

Posts: 1 | Registered: 06 June 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just read it in a German newsmagazine. He is not only my favorite author, he means much more to me. Sad day...

--------------------------------------------
contact: http://i150.photobucket.com/al...08/fotos137/mail.jpg

Posts: 28 | Location: Germany | Registered: 19 August 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am overwhelmed by the number of people who have turned out to pay their respects to Ray. Thanks, everyone. It felt kind of lonely this morning when I thought I was the only one who knew Ray had gone.

I usually get a bit annoyed when new discussion threads are opened (instead of people posting to a perfectly good thread that already exists), but at a time like this anything goes. Keep those memories coming, please.

- Phil

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by philnic:
It felt kind of lonely this morning when I thought I was the only one who knew Ray had gone.

You were The Lonely One? I think we were just waiting for the official news to hit the media.

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
Yes, that's exactly it, Doug: nobody wanted to break the silence.

There is also a long string of tributes to (and memories of) Ray on Harlan Ellison's message board, here:

http://www.harlanellison.com/heboard/unca.htm

[A note for posterity: it's not possible to link to specific messages on Harlan's board. The messages might have scrolled off screen when you arrive there.]

As far as I know, Harlan hasn't commented yet, but I know from previous comments that he will be devastated by Ray's passing. They go back a long way.

- Phil

posted Hide Post
Ray's friend (and mine), the British writer Brian Sibley has put together a superb and exquisite tribute to Ray, drawing on his memories and correspondence with Ray across a thirty-odd year friendship.

Pour yourself a nice drink, sit back and enjoy this magnificent memoir:

http://briansibleysblog.blogsp...tian-chronicler.html

- Phil

posted Hide Post
He changed my world forever and over the course of 37 years was the one constant with which I would cheer myself. And, yes, God's gonna get me for that. RIP!

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hello Ray, I simply refuse to say goodbye. Hello and thank you.

It rained and rained and each drop a tiny soul. Windswept and bold, even horizontally so.

Posts: 4 | Location: On the edge of October in Ucluelet | Registered: 08 June 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post