Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    The Leave Taking...
Page 1 ... 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 ... 109

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Leave Taking...
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
Arlene Martel.

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doug Spaulding:
quote:
Originally posted by dandelion:
Sorry, but this is totally bogus. In short, it sucks. Frowner RIP!

Yes. You weren't thinking about him the day before, were you?! Smiler

THANKFULLY NOT!!!

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Arlene Martel.

Sorry for your loss. Frowner

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
And here's your three: Lauren Bacall.

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dandelion:
quote:
Arlene Martel.

Sorry for your loss. Frowner

Some of you have seen this, but I thought I'd share it again. In Mr B's later years when he was mostly homebound, I would go read his stories to him semi-regularly, and I got into the habit of taking along actor friends to read, as well. Arlene was a fan, and I invited her along one trip. She did what was practically a cold reading of THE APRIL WITCH, and did it marvelously, and when she was done she got an unexpected compliment from the writer himself. She always treasured that and, I think, fell in love a little bit that day. She and Ray connected on a very special level. She only got to return once, but it was this visit I'll always remember.

"You're hired!"

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
WHAT DREAMS MAY COME with Robin Williams is one of my favorite movies, as is THE SHOOTIST with Lauren Bacall. I saw THE SHOOTIST when it was first released and again about 2 month ago. Arlene Martel always got my attention in her many roles. Such wonderful people.

Sorry for your loss Doug, and thank you much for posting Ms. Martel's reading to Ray Bradbury.

Posts: 861 | Location: Tuscaloosa, Alabama | Registered: 06 July 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
...She did what was practically a cold reading of THE APRIL WITCH, and did it marvelously, and when she was done she got an unexpected compliment from the writer himself...

That clip, terrific as it is, is just too much. Frowner

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Phil, the BBC World News here extensively covered Lauren Bacall and did not mention Robin Williams. Was he not as much of a presence overseas as at home?

posted Hide Post
Absolutely, he WAS a presence overseas. He was certainly the main headline news on all TV channels and front page of every newspaper in the UK.

He was a hit over here from the days of MORK AND MINDY onwards. His choice of film roles gained him a lot of respect: he could have taken the "easy" path of just doing wacky comedy, but instead he took challenging dramatic roles.

All of the obits have overlooked one of my favourite of his films, though: ONE HOUR PHOTO.

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Phil. I did know Hook was enough of a sensation in the UK that the children who appeared in it were invited to meet Princess Diana. All of Dustin Hoffman's children had roles, but his youngest daughter's part was cut from the final print. Hoffman couldn't or wouldn't smuggle her in anyway, so he kept all the other children from meeting Princess Diana and not long after they lost their chance for good. Frowner He did have a very cute story about his granddaughter meeting Obama. Smiler (I have not seen a statement from Hoffman on Williams' death. Anyone?)

When One Hour Photo--a film rendered mostly obsolete due to new technologies--came out, I frequented just such a place, now gone (in a mall now also gone). I mentioned the film and a clerk told me with considerable excitement that they had received all kinds of fallout, I mean immediately--maybe even from just the trailer before the film came out--and had to institute very strict rules for the shredding of all extra prints, which of course are sometimes made to get the exposure just right. Of course now when I need quality prints, there is a way to submit them to the store online, then go pick them up in person, so prints at stores are still being done.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by philnic:
All of the obits have overlooked one of my favourite of his films, though: ONE HOUR PHOTO.

That's one of his few films I actually purchased on DVD. Awfully dark, it was.

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post

posted Hide Post
quote:
That's one of his few films I actually purchased on DVD. Awfully dark, it was.

Saw it too, I did. Agree, I do. But why are we talking like Yoda?

Posts: 699 | Location: Cape Town, South Africa | Registered: 29 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by douglasSP:
Saw it too, I did. Agree, I do. But why are we talking like Yoda?

Because Yoda is awesome! I mean awesome, Yoda is!

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
Betty White. Smiler

"Live Forever!"