Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    The Leave Taking...
Page 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... 109

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Leave Taking...
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
philnic~ Yow!

Algis Budrys has been hanging on to dear health for a number of years now. He was a diabetic and in general poor health. Last I saw him was a visit over his home in the middle of a snow-storm in Chicago area (Evanston, IL) in 2005. Bound by a wheelchair, he basically gave up on life. He mentioned to me that he looked at his life as a near monumental failure in terms of doing anything great or meaningful in his published works. On several shelves in the living room area, tho, were books he had done with L .Ron Hubard. He seemed to be proud of those works of his. He had come out to live in Los Angeles a number of years ago to work with writing for the studios, but it didn't pan out well. He had some commercial success in years before that, but this would be his last venture out West.

I called him at home about 3 months ago, but his wife said he was asleep. I said I would write, but didn't. And I feel a bit ashamed of myself. I felt that what I had to say would likely fall on deaf ears, but that was a poor excuse for not writing. Just a few hours before learning of his death, I pulled out a newspaper article pertaining to a fellow I had called about two years ago to get in touch with A.J. pertaining to an article about Lithuanians (Algis was Lithuanian) during the second world war. Algis was just a boy when he recalls seeing Adolph Hitler parade by the front of his home. I was going to call the fellow and ask him if he ever finally published his book, and did A.J. contribute. Seems strange.

A.J's wife was a sweet lady. Very polite and hospitable when I went to visit him. His son had moved in for a while. Another son supposedly had a business on the internet. A.J. even tried his hand at writing his own SF internet magazine called 'Tomorrow'. I first met A.J. in 1973. He was always eager to add encouragement and help. For years he contributed as book editor for 'The Magazine of Fantasy and Science Fiction'. Besides a writer of high adventure in science-fiction, he was also a darn nice fellow and all around good guy. He even contributed a short article to that old space newspaper I published back in the 1970's. He'll be surely missed.

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Posts: 384 | Location: Anaheim, CA. | Registered: 21 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nard, I remember you writing about Budrys before, but I had forgotten.

I think I only ever read one of his novels (Michaelmas), and a handful of short stories. They tended to have PEOPLE in them, and not just be techie or action-packed.

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mr. Budrys lived, for the last several years, in the Evanston, Illinois area and, until he became ill, was often a guest at WindyCon, the Chicago-area's best known science fiction convention. I vividly remember listening to him read, at a WindyCon in the 1990's, from a novel-in-progress called THE BRIDGE, which he apparently never completed...to my knowledge at least, it has never been published in any form.

I visited him at his home a few years ago but, because he was obviously not feeling well, only stayed for a few minutes. I did have the opportunity at that time to tell him how much I enjoyed his writing. In my personal opinion, he should have been far better known and appreciated for his accomplishments, which include such classic works as ROGUE MOON and WHO?, with the latter novel being one of my all-time favorites.

He was a fine writer and an accomplished editor, as well as a nice gentleman. He will be sorely missed.

Posts: 2456 | Registered: 26 January 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This is yesterday's posting of the passing of Algis Budrys at the SFWA's (Science-Fiction Writers of America) website.
http://www.sfwa.org/news/2008/ajbudrys.htm

Posts: 624 | Location: San Francisco | Registered: 27 October 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Tim Russert. Shocking.

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That's too creepy that Tim Russert passed away on Friday the 13th!

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I reckon'd you saw this one and paid your respects, BII!

Treat yourselves!! Watch a few clips and marvel at the magnificent entertainment our culture once enjoyed because of the talented performers like Miss Charisse! Now she dances on the clouds.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yuJxYmJlEHY

Posts: 2803 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Strangely enough, my mom was watching Brigadoon when I told her Cyd Charisse had passed away. R. I. P. to a classy, great talent!

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have watched that portion of Singin' In The Rain many times and each time I see those legs again, I am glad that I was born a man. Kelly and Charisse, what a magnificent couple. I wanted to BE Gene Kelly so I could dance with her!

Posts: 847 | Location: Laguna Hills, CA USA | Registered: 02 January 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am wondering since Ray was good friends with Gene, if he had the opportunity to meet Cyd?

Posts: 1525 | Location: Sunrise, FL, USA | Registered: 28 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
George Carlin - a very funny man.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Doug Spaulding,

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I will miss his antiestablishmentarianisms. They would not have been funny, if what he said did not ring true in the listener's ears. What courage to take on the Church and the Establishments everywhere, and what staying power over these many years. And another one bites the dust.

Posts: 847 | Location: Laguna Hills, CA USA | Registered: 02 January 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A brilliant social satirst and master of the English language - George Carlin. I had caught him on the radio recently, and he had not lost his edge. Hilarious...always poignant.

The Media Police loved him:
1. %)#*&
2. )@*&%+@
3. )*&@+%!!
4. )(?"@#*
5. +>?!}<
6. )+:"<#&
and, of course,
7. +?<|(&W?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: fjp451,

Posts: 2803 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post