Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    The Leave Taking...
Page 1 ... 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 ... 110

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Leave Taking...
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
Goob.

Look!

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doug Spaulding:
Goob.

Look!

Farewell to another old friend!

Posts: 7305 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
And of course Mr. Lindsey also played "Juke" in perhaps the finest (and most scary) episode of THE ALFRED HITCHCOCK SHOW, the adaptation of Ray Bradbury's classic short story, "The Jar", directed by Norman Lloyd.

"Here, kitty, kitty..."

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0394054/fullcredits#cast

Posts: 2473 | Registered: 26 January 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mr. Lindsey's "Goober Pyle" character was regular each week of my youth! I read the entire three pages of the bio DS attached (above). From meager financial roots but rich family and community ties, he became a total success. A lesson many could learn from today!

This comment by Andy Griffith, in this day and age of "high-tech, me-centered cultural mores," captures the essence of a wonderful life: "Our last conversation was a few days ago. We would talk about our health, how much we missed our friends who passed before us and usually about something funny. I am happy to say that as we found ourselves in our eighties, we were not afraid to say, ‘I love you.’ That was the last thing George and I had to say to each other. ‘I love you.’ ”

Tonight we will watch the "classic episode Art of Love" as a family in honor of George Lyndsey's joyous spirit!
(Sitting next to his new sweetheart, "How's your car!?" -- Beautiful!)
Peace

Posts: 2805 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Our older "scruff," now sixteen (!!), sends us an occasion e-note from the computer lab during study hall in school...when he should be doing his chemistry or trig homework.

Well, our home has been without wall screens for precisely 6 yrs. now. We view movies from a home mailing company, sign out dvd's and vcr tapes from the local library, and have watched countless on-line episodes of the old shows many of us grew up with.

Just moments ago, I could not help but smile because of his recognition of the old Mayberry Tales and his youthful memories of George Lyndsey. Along with other current items, he sent me this "heads-up":
http://tv.yahoo.com/news/georg...-dies-165308205.html

I think Goober is smiling, also!

Posts: 2805 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fjp451:
Sitting next to his new sweetheart, "How's your car!?" -- Beautiful!

Beautiful, yes! Love that episode. Own the entire DVD collection. My favourite programme, and Goob contributed to so many of the funniest moments.

"Ain't you got a jack?"

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Great feel-good television, before the age of irony and mean-spiritedness.

Posts: 109 | Registered: 23 August 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
RIP, Maurice Sendak, 83.

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by philnic:
RIP, Maurice Sendak, 83.

The second (and same age as George Lindsay!) of what will turn out to be a very big three indeed.

Posts: 7305 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by philnic:
RIP, Maurice Sendak, 83.

And the film they made from the book was spot-on!

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dandelion:
The second (and same age as George Lindsay!) of what will turn out to be a very big three indeed.

It was Sassoon, a good word!

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
Carrroll Shelby, 89 ~
http://autos.yahoo.com/blogs/m...s-age-200041629.html

Auto design icon extraordinaire...an American success story we need more of today! God's Speed...

posted Hide Post

posted Hide Post
Carroll Shelby

http://www.latimes.com/news/ob...0512,0,6452484.story

John King Tarpinian
You know what you are, Mr. Bradbury? ... You are a poet! -- Aldous Huxley

Posts: 2745 | Location: Glendale, California | Registered: 11 June 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Here's one thing Maurice Sendak had in common with Ray, possibly two:

"He remembered no special talent — his brother, Jack, was the chosen one. But he absorbed his father's stories and he loved to dream and to create, like the time he and his brother built a model of the 1939 World's Fair out of clay and wax."