Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    The Leave Taking...
Page 1 ... 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 ... 109

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Leave Taking...
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doug Spaulding:
Pugsley.

Oh, how sad!

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you guys for asking about the Pearl Harbor story! My friend's name was W. Johns Ingram and although both he and his brother have Findagrave memorials, unfortunately only his brother's includes an obituary. Someone really needs to fix this. www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg....Rid=87260765&df=all&

Mr. Ingram was one of the most cheerful and helpful people ever, so much so that the church once threw an appreciation party at which his friends and relatives spoke. His brother told a very affecting account of how frightened he was once to see Johns roll a combine during harvest, and a hunting buddy told a deer hunting adventure, but I never remember hearing the Pearl Harbor story till his funeral. Someone read the transcript of a talk he gave in the 1950s. The main details were, Johns joined the Navy in 1939 as I recall, and was stationed at Pearl Harbor. On the morning of December 7, some errand called him away from his ship and he was only near (within talking distance of) one guy. He and the guy saw planes coming in and Johns said, "Gee, bombing run practice on a Sunday. They never did that before." When the planes were closer, Johns said, "Gee, using live bombs so close to the ships. They never did that before." His talk continued with some remark such as, "to show how clueless a person can be," they continued to stand there until the planes drew quite close and Johns said, "I don't recognize the insignia on those planes. What are they?" His friend said, "Those are Japanese." They both jumped, as Johns said, luckily in opposite directions, because if they would have jumped the same way and run into each other, both would have been hit by enemy fire! As it turned out, he survived but everyone else on his ship was killed.

Johns passed away at age 89. His manner of death was, his wife had passed away shortly before (you can see on the stone how close together the dates are) and he was at his daughter's home. He had farmed all his life and was not happy with helping his daughter inside. Wanting to work outside with the men, he went out to help dig a ditch and suffered a heart attack. A police officer gave him CPR all the way into town but he did not survive. The end was quick with no slow decline and he joined his beloved wife. He is very much missed. On the anniversary on Sunday I estimated 10 people at most in church (of an attendance of 64) who might remember 1941, only one of whom admitted it, and none of whom were old enough to be veterans. Needless to say, when I started 45 years ago you could not have swung a cat in the place without hitting a WWII vet.

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If Mr. B had written of hockey in any of his stories, Jean Beliveau would have fit in perfectly. Old school, class act, of the people, and loved by all!

I used to watch him on Hockey Night in Canada on Saturday nights as a kid. Great athlete and timeless character.

http://freepages.history.roots...~girouard/g18030.htm

Posts: 2803 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Uncle Walt.

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Uncle Walt.

You know, I just finished saying elsewhere that the assassination of Robert F. Kennedy was the first national event I remember, and now I have to amend that as I remember Disney's death as well!

Note that neither of these is a "flashbulb" memory--a term used for remembering exactly where you were and what you were doing when you first heard major news. In these two cases, I remember discussing the event with others afterwards. Soon after Walt Disney died, I was riding to Nursery School in my town, which was not in or anywhere near California, when a boy announced he saw a new grave being dug in the cemetery and that it must be for Walt Disney since he had just died. I remember thinking there was something wrong with this but couldn't quite place what!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: dandelion,

posted Hide Post

Posts: 699 | Location: Cape Town, South Africa | Registered: 29 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
RIP film and TV director Joseph Sargent, aged 89.

RIP actor and voice artist - voice of Dexter, Babe and many others - Christine Cavanaugh, aged 51.

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Edward Herrmann was the best Franklin Roosevelt ever.

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Edward Herrmann was the best Franklin Roosevelt ever.

Very sad! Loved him in The Electric Grandmother!

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dandelion:
Very sad! Loved him in The Electric Grandmother!

He was a good Bradbury-alike in that, I thought.

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Donna Douglas. I met her years ago. She whistled.

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
quote:
Donna Douglas. I met her years ago. She whistled.

Wow, Donna Douglas, who was such a knockout, found you attractive enough to whistle at!

I am sooooo sad, everyone from my favorite shows is passing away!

posted Hide Post
Elly May!! Bless her.

Yeah....Shucks! Miss Douglas sure was "perdy"!
Classic scene here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ADFk7cDWdLY

Peace.

Posts: 2803 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Rod Taylor.

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
quote:
Rod Taylor.

Always enjoyed his acting.

Posts: 861 | Location: Tuscaloosa, Alabama | Registered: 06 July 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post