Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    The Leave Taking...
Page 1 ... 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 ... 109

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Leave Taking...
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
L. Frank Baum: On the planet Mars where he was exiled so many years ago!

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/edu...ies-expert-says.html

"The wind blew sand over his shoes, whining."

Posts: 2803 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A bit belated but on this date...

Died 1891: Herman Melville

John King Tarpinian
You know what you are, Mr. Bradbury? ... You are a poet! -- Aldous Huxley

Posts: 2745 | Location: Glendale, California | Registered: 11 June 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Listen very carefully, I will say this only once:

RIP David Croft, co-writer, producer and director of Dad's Army, Are You Being Served, Allo Allo, Hi-de-Hi, It Ain't Half Hot Mum and many more.

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by philnic:
Listen very carefully, I will say this only once:

RIP David Croft, co-writer, producer and director of Dad's Army, Are You Being Served, Allo Allo, Hi-de-Hi, It Ain't Half Hot Mum and many more.

Grace & Favour was one of my favourites.

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I never really watched GRACE & FAVOUR. Was Mrs Slocombe in it, and if so did she still talk about her pussy?

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by philnic:
I never really watched GRACE & FAVOUR. Was Mrs Slocombe in it, and if so did she still talk about her pussy?

Yes, and yes!

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The maker of my fine computer.

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
Steve Jobs has passed...a rare genius is gone from the world.

Posts: 386 | Registered: 31 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Please extend to Ray condolences on the loss of his dear friend Norman Corwin, the legendary writer, director and producer of original radio plays for CBS during the golden age of radio in the 1930s and '40s when he was revered as the "poet of the airwaves," and has just passed away. Ray is 91 and Corwin was 101. Such a friendship cannot be replaced.

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That's a sad one, but how amazing for Norman to still have been working into his second century.

I just posted a couple of quick notes on Corwin and Bradbury on my blog (link below).

- Phil

posted Hide Post
101 is a good word.

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
Mr Corwin, one of Ray's closest friends, was one of the founding fathers of modern radio, and a superb writer, producer and director. I was so fortunate to have the chance finally to meet this great gentleman at Bookfellows in Glendale in February, 2010, at the signing for the anthology THE BLEEDING EDGE (in which he has a story) and tell him how much I admired his work. Mr. Corwin gave me a incredibly firm handshake in response, and was also kind enough to sign my first edition of ON A NOTE OF TRIUMPH, the book publication of one of the most revered and famous radio broadcasts in the history of the medium, a 1945 tribute to the American soldier and to V-E day. He will long be remembered and missed.

It was Mr. Corwin who encouraged Ray to travel to New York City, and talk to various publishers about his work. This led to Ray's meeting with Walter Bradbury of Doubleday and the publication by Doubleday of THE MARTIAN CHRONICLES in 1950.

Here is another link to details about his passing and his amazing career:

http://www.google.com/hostedne...4decaadda46a14d02cc2

Posts: 2455 | Registered: 26 January 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
http://normancorwin.com/
Mr. Bradbury dedicated the collction I Sing the Body Electric! to Norman Corwin, and they collaborated on the radio plays based on the Bradbury stories, "The Great Conflagration Up at the Place," and "Forever and the Earth."

Without a doubt, fans and lovers of Ray Bradbury can all be very grateful to the artistry and inspiration that sprang from such friendship.

Condolences to Mr. Bradbury.

Posts: 861 | Location: Tuscaloosa, Alabama | Registered: 06 July 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thoughts and prays go out in celebration of such a glorious life and treasured friendship, but, alas, for the sadness Mr. Corwin's passing brings!
Peace.

Posts: 2803 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Grief is the price we pay for love.

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post