Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    The Leave Taking...
Page 1 ... 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 ... 109

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Leave Taking...
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
Has anyone here besides me seen Nimoy in real life?

"He's dead, Jim!" George Clayton Johnson originated that phrase and there is a picture of he and my sister and I laughing about it! (About the phrase, not about someone dying.)

Their legacy lives on! http://www.cnn.com/2014/06/12/...arp-speed-spaceship/

This makes me very sad. I watched him on TV and in the theater for years. If I hadn't already given up on everything weeks ago I would now be totally discouraged.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: dandelion,

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Never met or spoke with him, but attended two lectures he gave at University of Alabama in Birmingham. One in 1989 called "Leonard Nimoy - Confessions of a Trek Lover" and the next one in 2009, very much about his passion for photography.
Like for millions of others, STAR TREK has been an important and meaningful influence for me. More so because of the integrity, love, and artistry of Mr. Nimoy.

Posts: 861 | Location: Tuscaloosa, Alabama | Registered: 06 July 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dandelion:
Has anyone here besides me seen Nimoy in real life?

Never met him, but I was friends with his wife, T'Pring. I met her at George Clayton Johnson's birthday party, as coincidence has it.

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
HA! I checked the college's website and found the date! May 3, 1984, Beasley Coliseum, Washington State University Campus, Pullman, Washington. I had purchased my ticket ahead of time but my friend had to go in to buy hers. The entry doors were the same, in other words, there wasn't one for buying tickets and another for people who had already bought, so I waited outside the door for her return. As we debated whether we should go back in line or whatever, the doors opened and we said what the heck and started in. Some bit¢h yelled, "I hope you're happy with yourselves after everyone else stood for 40 minutes in the cold!" We noticed she barged in to snag better seats even than we did--such people always do.

When Nimoy entered, everyone flashed the "live long and prosper" sign. I am one of the people able to do this without having to first push the fingers into position. Strange to say, I had been thinking of him often lately, though really more of Bones, because I have been suffering significant pain between the middle joint of the ring finger and the knuckle joint, also between that knuckle and the middle finger knuckle (probably from spending half a day on a laptop daily) so that I can still make the sign but find it extremely painful--and I remember Bones complaining about how uncomfortable it was! So I don't take credit for killing Nimoy although I seem to have killed Davy Jones, Ralph Waite, and Mickey Rooney! Because I thought or spoke of them just before they died. Davy died the next day, Ralph was dead in four days and poor Mickey only lasted about an hour!

During the Q & A my friend asked about a story of hers, not really about Kirk and Spock but fictional characters appearing in their forms. Nimoy answered, "Paramount owns the characters." The big moment during the Q & A occurred when someone asked, "Does Spock survive Genesis?" (The third movie had been filmed, but not released.) Nimoy asked the audience if he should tell and they bellowed in one voice, "NO!" The last question came from some guy who seemed intelligent and as if he must have some actual point then meandered off on the Muses of Apollo or something. My friend wondered if he was a shill Nimoy placed in the audience as a good way of cutting off the Q & A, but someone said no, he was in a class of theirs and was always like that!

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Regarding this, http://touch.latimes.com/#sect...rticle/p2p-82942175/ I swear I recall years ago seeing an article in the TV Guide or somewhere quoting Nimoy that he, "Lenny," religiously attended every play "Bill" did, but that "Bill" couldn't be bothered to attend anything of his! As I remember the statement was fairly good-natured--that "Lenny" would be anywhere from annoyed to really angry, but always forgave "Bill." To Shatner's credit, when he appeared on TV crying after the death of his wife Nerine, I said, "He is genuinely shocked and saddened. He's not that good of an actor!" If he was indeed seen crying following Nimoy's death as at least one source claims, I believe his emotion was sincere. Richard Thomas also missed the funeral of his Waltons father, Ralph Waite, due to professional commitments, causing so much speculation regarding their relationship that Eric Scott, who played Ben, stepped in to defend Richard, saying he really loved Ralph but travel logistics made attending impossible and asking fans please not to spread rumors or gossip.

posted Hide Post
I didn't realize how much Leonard Nimoy's passing would affect me, but it certainly did. I guess the fact that he's always been there during my life made it feel like he always would be there. His Spock was one of the very first heroes I became a fan of (along with Captain Kirk, Neil Armstrong, and Adam West's Batman).

You really start to feel older when all your childhood heroes begin dying off. Lately I'm feeling it more than ever.

Farewell, Leonard. You lived long, and prospered. And now you, along with your character Spock: live forever!

--SKot

Posts: 16 | Location: Portland, OR, USA | Registered: 23 February 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SKotK:
Farewell, Leonard. You lived long, and prospered.

And may well have purchased an Audi before he passed.

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doug Spaulding:
And may well have purchased an Audi before he passed.

That video has given me so much joy even now, and is actually a fantastic farewell to Leonard/passing of the torch to new Spock, Zachary Quinto.

Well played, Audi.

--SKot

Posts: 16 | Location: Portland, OR, USA | Registered: 23 February 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wow, here's someone who's offed way more celebrities than I have! http://www.imdb.com/board/bd0000044/thread/241273934 Now I feel better!

posted Hide Post
RIP, British fantasy author Sir Terry Pratchett, age 66.

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Gene Gene.

He was the Dancing Machine you know.

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
These last several are very very sad! I consider any age under 90 to be too young.

posted Hide Post
James Best.

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
One of Ray's dearest friends: Stan Freberg.
Picture from the last time they saw each other, ComiCon 2009.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: jkt,

John King Tarpinian
You know what you are, Mr. Bradbury? ... You are a poet! -- Aldous Huxley

Imageraystanfreberg.jpg (236 Kb, 7 downloads)

Posts: 2745 | Location: Glendale, California | Registered: 11 June 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Stan Freberg article here.

Look!

"Live Forever!"