Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    The Leave Taking...
Page 1 ... 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 ... 109

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Leave Taking...
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
My local NPR station had some nice pieces on Norman:

http://www.scpr.org/search/?q=norman+corwin

John King Tarpinian
You know what you are, Mr. Bradbury? ... You are a poet! -- Aldous Huxley

Posts: 2745 | Location: Glendale, California | Registered: 11 June 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Linnl:
Mr. Bradbury dedicated the collction I Sing the Body Electric! to Norman Corwin.

And The Martian Chronicles, if I am not mistaken.

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Douglas Spaulding:
And The Martian Chronicles, if I am not mistaken.

Correct. And to Doubleday Editor Walter Bradbury, in apprecitiation to both men as noted in Richard's last post on this thread.

Posts: 861 | Location: Tuscaloosa, Alabama | Registered: 06 July 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Harlan Ellison just posted this on his website:

I just learned.

It is said much too frequently, but in truth, none such ever walked the Earth before him; and his like in this species will never be seen again.

He was a friend--not as good and important and long-term as he was to Ray Bradbury and J. Michael Straczynski, who are in deep and wrenching mourning--but he was kind and generous to me, as he was to anyone he considered of even minimal worth; and his passing is a major tearful milestone in the progress of this plodding caravanserie we foolishly ennoble with the word Humanity.

Norman Corwin WAS the very hallmark, the apotheosis of Humanity.

We can lose millions, and survive. But not without Norman.

Harlan Ellison

(http://www.harlanellison.com/heboard/unca.htm, Wednesday, October 19 2011)

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Phil, that was lovely.

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Jimmy Savile.

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Is (Sir) Jimmy Savile known outside the UK? I'm surprised!

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"Did you ever wonder why...?"

Andy Rooney (1919-2011)
http://abcnews.go.com/US/journ...92/story?id=14818244

I read his biography earlier this year. An excellent life ~ Quite an independent spirit! He was in many ways like Mr. Bradbury: prolific, straightforward, a character from the Great Generation (so dearly needed today), and always his own person.

Peace

Posts: 2803 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Tom Keith, the older, but still too young, of the two delightful sound effects men on A Prairie Home Companion. They have a wonderful tribute to him on this week's show. R. I. P. to one of my favorite voices from one of my favorite shows, you will be missed!

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yeah, I just heard that show last night.
He was great.

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Bil Keane, cartoonist. Sad, sad news indeed.

http://wonderwall.msn.com/ente...-at-89-1652477.story

I have enjoyed "The Family Circus" for decades, and several cartoons decorate our refrigerator. He did some lovely ones on the subject of one of the grandfathers dying, where the people in the hospital say, "He is gone," just as the people in Heaven say, "He is here!"

posted Hide Post
Dandy, we still read the Sunday comics with our boys - now in their teens. Family Circus is a weekly "must." I always especially loved the circuitous routes the kids took to get from Point "A" to Point "B." It was much like the Green Town travels we know so well, and quite like those of my own wandering youthful days, with my all white dog right beside me!

Here is Mr. Keane's genius:
http://www.familycircus.com/
Peace.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: fjp451,

Posts: 2803 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Veterans' Day - Armistice Day - Poppy Day (U.K.)

In Flanders Field

In Flanders fields the poppies blow
... Between the crosses, row on row,
That mark our place; and in the sky
The larks, still bravely singing, fly
Scarce heard amid the guns below.

We are the Dead. Short days ago
We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
Loved and were loved, and now we lie,
In Flanders fields.

Take up our quarrel with the foe:
To you from failing hands we throw
The torch; be yours to hold it high.
If ye break faith with us who die
We shall not sleep, though poppies grow
In Flanders fields.

John McCrae

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes, yes, Friend BrII!

11-11-11 ~ Lest We forget!
A tear wiped away, a shudder of one's soul,
A moment of silent, peaceful prayer,
For those who in their true hearts
Sacrificed for Freedom and Peace...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v..._Ne0&feature=related

posted Hide Post
CS Lewis passed 48 years ago today.

"Live Forever!"