Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    The Leave Taking...
Page 1 ... 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 ... 109

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Leave Taking...
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
Ron Palillo becomes the second actor from Welcome Back, Kotter to pass away this year.

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
RIP, the great actor William Windom, aged 88.

Bradbury connection: Windom appeared in some (or possibly all - I'd need to check this) of the California Artists Radio Theatre productions of Bradbury material (75th BIRTHDAY CELEBRATION, 80th BIRTHDAY CELEBRATION, A BRADBURY BINARY). I particularly enjoyed his playing of the protagonist (the Bradbury part) in a dramatisation of "The Beggar on O'Connell Bridge" for CART.

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by philnic:
RIP, the great actor William Windom.

http://youtu.be/h5MU7CPMtqE

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nobody asked my opinion, but here goes. I resent the attitude taken to death and loss in this country. Unless the dead person was famous, we are all expected to forget about them five minutes after they're gone, and any failing to sweep their memory under the rug is considered "wallowing." It's no wonder we make such a big deal at the passing of the famous; they're the only ones we're allowed to acknowledge.

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
RIP film director Tony Scott, aged 68. Director of TOP GUN and many others, brother of Ridley Scott.

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Dandelion, I don't know that that is true. I recently found out that an old friend's young adult son recently died, actually a suicide, and I am still so sad. (He was bipolar.) I am sure this death will linger with me longer than some director who threw himself off a bridge at 68. I knew this child. The director was a blurb I heard on the radio.

Posts: 14 | Registered: 17 June 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Phyllis Diller.

http://www.latimes.com/news/ob...0821,0,4800295.story

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=86SyZ12ReIk

John King Tarpinian
You know what you are, Mr. Bradbury? ... You are a poet! -- Aldous Huxley

Posts: 2745 | Location: Glendale, California | Registered: 11 June 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 0:
Dandelion, I don't know that that is true. I recently found out that an old friend's young adult son recently died, actually a suicide, and I am still so sad. (He was bipolar.) I am sure this death will linger with me longer than some director who threw himself off a bridge at 68. I knew this child. The director was a blurb I heard on the radio.

Condolences on your loss which makes me truly sorry. Our community had the same experience two years ago. Of course the loss primarily affects the family but I had known that boy's extended family over 40 years at that point, and it never really goes away. What's more I'm aware of his reasons and although he was wrong he did have cause. A little over a month later Nard Kordell, my best friend and correspondent from this board, also passed away.

A few months later the pastor of my church passed away and that's where the real problem arises. Not only do I miss him terribly and don't feel I'll ever get over it as far as anything making up for it, but one member of the church board has been very snotty at my every attempt to memorialize him, giving me no credit for good effort or intentions (which everyone else who spoke to me did--he was the only hostile one.) He claims it is "offensive" to the family--not true; I have lovely notes of thanks from them to the contrary, and I told him this--but it doesn't matter. He says any mention of the deceased is "so two years ago" and we should forget he ever existed and move on. They locked up the photo montage I made--one person was kind enough to say they'd bring it out on special occasions but this guy delighted in torturing me by saying the only way it would ever see light of day again was if I took it home. (Which I don't believe--anyhow, I intended it for the church.) Well, I know if such a good person is forgotten in only two years I will be in about half an hour--IF anyone even notices at all. This is also the person trying to cast aspersions on other things I do to preserve people's efforts. Many other people are cool and even welcoming of what I do but this guy is just out to get me, I'm afraid will try to sabotage me, and even though I have a pretty good idea why, when I am already feeling sad (over Jonathan Frid, Ray, Andy Griffith, and so many others all passing one right after another) it really gets to me to be told to "get over it" and that all my motivations and intentions are bad, or at least don't matter.

Anyhow, what really makes me sad is this is just a rehearsal for when things get so bad I can't be a part of anything, even this board anymore, and I have no idea of what to do about it.

posted Hide Post
I am usually very wordy when I feel strongly about something. I'll express my feelings about him simply. He is stupid. The end.

You are not the problem, he is. Don't let stupid people hurt you. They are broken, and the only thing you can do is pray to forgive them and pray for their healing. You be Christlike, even when he isn't. (He definitely needs church, because he doesn't know how to be Christian!)

Anyhow, you will not be forgotten by anyone here. The words you have written hear have helped you form relationships, have touched people, and your legacy will remain.

As a Christian, though, remember that it is not about US being remembered, but about US going about serving, doing the Lord's work, and glorifying Him, so that He is remembered. Lose self to gain self. We will gain treasures in heaven by giving up glory here. "The first shall be last, and the last shall be first."

You know all that. : ) I pray you will find peace.

Posts: 14 | Registered: 17 June 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks. As to this guy, I honestly haven't figured out whether he's deliberately troublesome or just tactless. It could be either or both and he could be in denial about his own actions and motivations.

I've been worried since at least age ten what is expected of me and what kind of legacy I will leave. My worry regarding others is they will be able to make me so anxious and depressed about nothing I do mattering or turning out right that I will be rendered incapable of doing anything and will fail to fulfill my legacy. This is why I get so upset when my efforts are questioned.

posted Hide Post
RIP genius Muppeteer Jerry Nelson.

- Phil

posted Hide Post

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Neil Armstrong never sought the limelight after his historic accomplishment, nearly 45 years ago... My goodness!

A true American Hero in the eyes of an entire generation.
Peace!

Posts: 2803 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
How very sad, especially since he had seemed to be recovering well from heart surgery. An American hero yes, but a hero for all mankind too.

- Phil

posted Hide Post
quote:
a hero for all mankind too.

So True! So True!

Posts: 2803 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post