Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    The Leave Taking...
Page 1 ... 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 ... 109

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Leave Taking...
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doug Spaulding:
CS Lewis passed 48 years ago today.

The exact same day as John F. Kennedy.

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Anne McCaffrey

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Anne McCaffrey

Yes, that is a blow!

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dandelion:
quote:
CS Lewis passed 48 years ago today.

The exact same day as John F. Kennedy.

I haven't read it, but there's a book called "Between Heaven and Hell: A Dialog Somewhere Beyond Death with John F. Kennedy, C. S. Lewis & Aldous Huxley" by Peter Kreeft in which he has the three of them meet in purgatory and have a discussion...!

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That's freaky that Aldous Huxley died the same day as the other two.

posted Hide Post
10. We miss you, man. You were a wise and beautiful soul.

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
How come every time I log on these days there's some guy who died in his 40s?

posted Hide Post
Darrell K. Sweet, noted fantasy and science fiction artist, has passed away at the age of 77. While he had a long and distinguised carrer, Mr. Sweet is possibly best known for his art for Robert Jordan's best-selling "Wheel of Time" series of books. Here is a link to some details about his career and passing:

http://www.tor.com/blogs/2011/...ll-k-sweet-1934-2011

Posts: 2455 | Registered: 26 January 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I went to school with a Darrell Sweet.

posted Hide Post
Harry Morgan

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/...a-s-h_n_1134219.html

John King Tarpinian
You know what you are, Mr. Bradbury? ... You are a poet! -- Aldous Huxley

Posts: 2745 | Location: Glendale, California | Registered: 11 June 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jkt:
Harry Morgan...

How sad, but what a great age he lived to: 96!

I adored MASH, especially in the Col. Potter years. Morgan was great at playing the "long suffering" colonel, AND at playing the father figure (or grandfather figure), AND superb at playing the quieter, thoughtful moments. The episode "Old Soldiers", about a tontine, is one of the most touching episodes of a "comedy" series.

RIP, Harry.

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
So sad to hear this. I loved him on Dragnet and have a framed picture of him and Jack Webb prominently displayed. If I ever make a "Top Ten Reasons Why I'm Going to Hell" list, one will be that Jack Webb and Harry Morgan are right in the center of my wall, while Jesus Christ is off to one side. Haven't thought of others, at least that I'd share. Actually, Jesus is where He is for a good reason--right next to the closet to keep out the boogeyman. Dragnet is in the middle to keep the bad guys away.

RIP, Harry!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: dandelion,

posted Hide Post
I think a Dragnet shrine gets you through the pearly gates, although they might also ask to see your Buster Keaton Fan Club card. Big Grin

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by philnic:
I think a Dragnet shrine gets you through the pearly gates, although they might also ask to see your Buster Keaton Fan Club card. Big Grin

Okay, is a Dragnet/Adam 12/Emergency! shrine only one third as good, or three times as good? Because that's what it is. I have signed pictures of Robert Fuller and Martin Milner and a Kevin Tighe autograph. I even have the Adam 12 lunchbox! The Emergency! shrine got its picture in a book on the show!

As for Buster Keaton, there is a really funny "near-death experience" in his movie The Haunted House, in which he gets knocked unconscious and dreams he is going up to the Pearly Gates. St. Peter looks at his card, shakes his head, flips a switch, and the staircase becomes a slide straight to you-know-where. The Devil takes a look at him and slides a switch so that a sign reads, "Keaton is In." Gotta love it!

P. S. If they ask to see my card, I can't die before Christmas because membership is my Christmas present request!

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by philnic:
How sad, but what a great age he lived to: 96!

I adored MASH, especially in the Col. Potter years. Morgan was great at playing the "long suffering" colonel, AND at playing the father figure (or grandfather figure), AND superb at playing the quieter, thoughtful moments. The episode "Old Soldiers", about a tontine, is one of the most touching episodes of a "comedy" series.

RIP, Harry.

M*A*S*H was my second-favourite American sitcom, and what a brilliant programme it was! Although I loved Sherman T Potter, I particularly loved the first three seasons with Henry Blake. I mean the hilarious Henry Blake. At any rate, 96, yes!

"Live Forever!"