Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    The Leave Taking...
Page 1 ... 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 ... 109

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Leave Taking...
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
Here's a good obit on Crichton, with a quote from RB and Sam Weller:
http://www.chicagotribune.com/features/lifestyle/chi-cr...v06,0,7387503.column

And here's my feeble attempt at an obit:
www.bradburymedia.co.uk

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Another passing. Goodbye Miriam!
March 4, 1932 - November 9, 2008

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bVd2_9fK7HM

Posts: 2280 | Location: Laguna Woods, California | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Good old Mariam! I love this album!

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Doug: Yeah, She did great music.

Here's a wikipedia of her life:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miriam_Makeba

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"In Flanders fields the poppies blow
Between the crosses, row on row,
That mark our place; and in the sky
The larks, still bravely singing, fly
Scarce heard amid the guns below.

We are the Dead. Short days ago
We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
Loved and were loved, and now we lie
In Flanders fields.

Take up our quarrel with the foe:
To you from failing hands we throw
The torch; be yours to hold it high.
If ye break faith with us who die
We shall not sleep, though poppies grow
In Flanders fields."

- John McCrae, May 1915

Posts: 396 | Location: Never Never Land, UK | Registered: 16 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Tink!
I wondered if I'd see this poem today.
I've missed you, by the way.

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Tink, BrII: We took our two boys to the small VFW in our hometown. 11/11 at 11:00, a young soldier just returned from Iraq read "In Flanders Field" while a crowd of approximately one hundred members of our humble community accompanied about thirty vets of conflicts in WWII, Korea, Viet Nam, and the Middle East. The morning was grey and chilly. The air mixed with a fine snow. The morning's speeches and memorial honors were deeply felt.

The tears in many eyes, yes - mine included, were not so much from the cold autumn day, as from the words and memories that were shared.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BsOsdGtBBTg
(Go to full screen for a few quiet moments.) Peace.

Posts: 2803 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
wow

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks... for the meditation.

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mitch Mitchell, the great drummer who was part of the Jimi Hendrix Experience band...RIP

Posts: 386 | Registered: 31 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Right, fanboy:
http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h305/creadmin/HIGHWAY...tricladylandback.jpg

Sad to hear. MM's busy, driving beat filled all the gaps as Hendrix ripped the music world apart - way back then. Hendrix, Mitchell, and Redding (The Experience) ~ their music still stands monumental 35yrs. later!!

They must be already jammimg...Peace.

Posts: 2803 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Odetta.

A great one, done gone.

Such a talent.

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Do you have Rainbow Bridge Frank? The record and especially the movie are outstanding. The film was shot at a communal gathering of sorts on Maui. Say hello to Rick Wright for me Mitch. Can you imagine that rock band up there?? From a cricket and a king onward! Wow!

She stood silently looking out into the great sallow distances of sea bottom, as if recalling something, her yellow eyes soft and moist...

rocketsummer@insightbb.com

Posts: 1397 | Location: Louisville, KY | Registered: 08 February 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Or perhaps, down there...

She stood silently looking out into the great sallow distances of sea bottom, as if recalling something, her yellow eyes soft and moist...

rocketsummer@insightbb.com

Posts: 1397 | Location: Louisville, KY | Registered: 08 February 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Rock ~ Is that a "Crossroads" allusion in your second post?! I like to think they are all looking down upon us, and their gifts are playing out eternally!

I do have the Rainbow recordings and video. Dolly Dagger...Pali Gap...Earth Blues. A Musical Genius - only 28 years old!

If you have never seen it, search on line for a video version of his acoustic cover of "Hear My Train Coming." In the studio with a twelve string...Singing from his soul.

He was a poet! "Have you ever been - to..." http://www.jimihendrix.com/electric-ladyland.html

JH's lyric/music metaphors are not unlike RB's narrative/descriptive metaphors. Probably why I have a plentiful collection of both of their artistic expressions. Timeless, meaningful!