The Leave Taking...

This topic can be found at:
https://raybradburyboard.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/3791083901/m/9151087282

31 January 2011, 09:13 AM
philnic
The Leave Taking...
Film composer John Barry.

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter
07 February 2011, 01:13 PM
Richard
Brian Jacques, author of the charming Redwall series of children's fantasy novels, has passed away. I remember well a personal appearance that Mr. Jacques made in the Chicago area about ten years ago, promoting his new book. He kept the audience of youngsters (and the not-so-youngsters, like me) greatly entertained with his animated reading from his book.

http://www.locusmag.com/News/2...n-jacques-1939-2011/
07 February 2011, 02:01 PM
dandelion
How sad! I hear great things about those.
15 February 2011, 06:25 AM
Braling II
Another great has left us.
George Shearing at 91.
I'm glad I got to see him a few times.

http://www.npr.org/blogs/ablog...con-has-died?ps=cprs
15 February 2011, 06:37 AM
fjp451
BII, Right...melodic mastery! I listened to this on my way through the wintery Northlands, hereabouts. What a wonderful life! It speaks volumes for his spirit and passion!

Peace!
15 February 2011, 12:33 PM
Walt
This a response to Richard's notification about Brian Jacques. I'd been meaning to write to him for years to thank him for the encouragement he gave to my daughter at a bookstore appearance in the Chicago area in October, 2002, (maybe the same one Richard attended).

Brian regaled the assembled crowd of youngsters and their elders with his readings, and with humorous, wise tales from his own life experience.

My daughter, whose 14th birthday was that very day, had just started a novel two weeks earlier. My wife and I were home-schooling her for middle school at the time and her writing, her music, and her learning in general was accelerating. She had already read many of the Redwall novels but was shy to go up to Mr. Jacques and speak with him, so I brought her to the table where he sat and mentioned that it was her birthday and that she'd started a novel. Though his hand was covered in a type of sling (it appeared that he had tendinitis or repetitive stress injury), he still wrote an inscription for her in her copy of his book that we purchased there, and he spoke some memorable words of personal encouragement to her.

I've been wanting to write to him for years to tell him of her finished novel and how much his wise and good-natured encouragement had meant to her, and to me. Alas I am too late. May his soul rest in peace.

"Stay on the Path."
Travis in: A Sound of Thunder
15 February 2011, 07:00 PM
fjp451
Great account, Walt! Such gifts last a lifetime, continuing to influence in so many unstated ways! A gentle prayer always finds its way...
Peace!
16 February 2011, 02:48 PM
Walt
Thanks for your good words fjp.

Peace be with you

"Stay on the Path."
Travis in: A Sound of Thunder
16 February 2011, 07:25 PM
Braling II
...I know, I'm nagged by the thought that I should visit Mr. B in person and thank him before he, too, graduates from this school.
17 February 2011, 12:01 AM
fanboy
Braling II, do it!!
21 February 2011, 12:51 PM
Doug Spaulding
The great Kenneth Mars.

"Live Forever!"
22 February 2011, 09:08 AM
Linnl
Kenneth Mars along with Kenneth Tobey starred in the Star Trek Deep Space Nine episode "Shadowplay", one of the nicest, sweetest storylines.

Doug, that clip made me laugh so hard. Smiler
22 February 2011, 10:43 AM
Paris
Hi! Yes, Ray inspires me to write and as a matter of fact, here's my ebook that I just published:

www.bellaonline.com/ebooks/ebook180

I wonder when his next play and/or booksigning, or film or anything at all where Ray will appear so I hopefully can get a few minutes to say hello? He's so great! ( :
>Wink))">
22 February 2011, 05:18 PM
Doug Spaulding
quote:
Originally posted by Linnl:
Doug, that clip made me laugh so hard. Smiler

No doubt it was because of the stimulator.

"Live Forever!"
22 February 2011, 08:48 PM
Linnl
quote:
Originally posted by Doug Spaulding:
No doubt it was because of the stimulator.

Yes. The whole esprit de humordor of it. Esp. Mr. Mars and Ms. Flagg.