Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    Story Classifications (UNDER CONSTRUCTION!)
Page 1 2 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Story Classifications (UNDER CONSTRUCTION!)
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
It may be a legal nightmare about copyrights and $$. Unfortunately.

William F. Nolan may be a good one to talk about this, too.

Posts: 2280 | Location: Laguna Woods, California | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Trade Requests:

Besides anthologies, another way rare early stories come available is through vintage issues of pulp magazines, which come up on eBay all the time. With this in mind, I thought maybe someone here might have some of the stories mentioned. I'll list early (pre-1970) stories I don't have in any form, followed by those I do, and perhaps we can arrange to trade photocopies of our copies:

Stories of which I have no copies (not even of any kind)
Hollerbochen's Dilemma
Hollerbochen Comes Back
How to Run a Successful Ghost Agency
Don't Get Technatal
Gold
The Record
The Maiden of Jirbu
Tale of the Tortletwitch
The Piper (1940 version)
The Flight of the Good Ship Clarissa
The Last Man
It's Not the Heat, It's the Hu--
The Tale of the Terrible Typer
Genie Trouble
How Am I Today, Doctor?
The Trouble With Humans is People
Tale of the Mangledomvritch
To Make a Long, Long Story Much, Much Shorter
Eat, Drink and Be Wary
And Watch the Fountains
The Monster Maker
I, Rocket (1944)
Killer, Come Back to Me!
Morgue Ship
Lazarus Come Forth
Undersea Guardians
Skeleton (1945 version)
Final Victim (with Henry Hasse)
Defense Mech
Rocket Skin
Lorelei of the Red Mist
Tomorrow and Tomorrow
The Undead Die (with E. Everett Evans)
Changeling
The Lonely Ones
Holiday
All on a Summer's Night
Payment in Full
The Bonfire
The Year 2150 A. D.
The Fireman (Had it; not sure I still do)
A Little Journey
Love Contest*
The Secret
Bullet With a Name
They Knew What They Wanted*
Massinello Pietro
The Blue Flag of John Folk
The Hour of Ghosts*

*These were in well-known publications and I can easily obtain copies.

Stories I have in the form of anthology appearances, original magazine appearances, or magazine reprints.� Numbers following are the number of photocopied pages (1 page per copy for magazines, 2 for books) it would take to copy each story.)
The Pendulum
Pendulum (These two, together, 8)
Luana the Living (5)
The Candle (7)
The Piper (1943 version) (9)
Gabriel's Horn (with Henry Hasse) (10)
Subterfuge (5)
Promotion to Satellite (7)
Doodad (Book boxed up for now)
The Ducker (7)
And Then--The Silence (3)
Her Eyes, Her Lips, Her Limbs* (1)
Rocket Summer (1947 version) (8)
The Irritated People (13)
Jonah of the Jove-Run (10)
The Square Pegs (7)
A Blade of Grass (5)
Miss Bidwell (A Far-Away Guitar) (5)
Marvels and Miracles--Pass It On!* (4)
Bright Phoenix* (4)
*Microfilm copies. "Marvels and Miracles" I'd almost surely have to redo, and the other two may or may not make readable reproductions.� Of the rest, some are fragile, but all should copy well.

Of course, as I get a chance to review these, I'll enter their classifications.

[This message has been edited by dandelion (edited 01-20-2003).]

Posts: 2694 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Rhetorical questions and hairsplitting regarding categories here: stories set with beings living on an asteroid count as planet stories (PNMV) although an asteroid isn't strictly a planet. I'm putting "post-apocalyptic" (stories of survival or lack of it after a nuclear holocaust) in the "Day After Tomorrow" category, but we usually classify "post-apocalyptic" stories as being published after the detonation of the first atomic bomb on August 6, 1945. So what do you call stories about near-total world destruction through war published before that date? Pre-post-apocalyptic? Since H. G. Wells published "The War of the Worlds" in 1898 and lived till 1946, wonder what he'd have to say on this. For myself, I'm grouping such stories under the "Day-After-Tomorrow" heading.

Posts: 2694 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The above lists are ...wonderful. Can anything really be left out? Well, I have one small note. Not a short story, but...betcha you never heard of this poetry book title by Ray....

Twin Hieroglyphs That Swim the River Dust

click on: http://moesbooks.com/cgi-bin/moe455/17820.html

[This message has been edited by Nard Kordell (edited 01-18-2003).]

Posts: 2280 | Location: Laguna Woods, California | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wow, that's a new one to me. Do you know what's in the table of contents. Does anyone own this? The cost is too high for me.

Posts: 333 | Registered: 12 January 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Here, for your delectation, are tables of contents to three of Ray's rare small press publications:

The Love Affair. Northridge, CA: Lord John Press, Dec '82, 25pp, hc.
"The Love Affair." (One of our missing Martian short stories!)
"The Growing into Me" (poem)
"How I Became a Writer" (poem)

This Attic Where the Meadow Greens. Northridge, CA: Lord John Press, 1979 [Mar '80], 45pp, hc. All poems.
"Abandon in Place." First published Los Angeles Times May 20 '79.
"This Attic Where the Meadow Greens"
"Poem Written at Noon While Passing Through a Small Town in Upper Illinois on June 25, 1978"
"Melville: A Requiem and a Warning." First published Calypsolog Dec '79.
"The Shakespeare Banquet, The Kipling Feast." First published Fade In Win '79.
"Shakespeare the Father, Freud the Son." First published Los Angeles Times Book Review Oct 7 '79.
"A Miracle of Popes, All with One Face!"
"The Bike Repairmen." First published Northridge, CA: Santa Susana Press, 1978 (broadside).
"If Peaches Could Be Painters"
"Once the Years Were Numerous and the Funerals Few"

Twin Hieroglyphs That Swim the River Dust. Northridge, CA: Lord John Press, Jul '78, 30pp, hc. All poems.
"Rekindlement: A Celebration." First published Los Angeles Times Book Review Oct 30 '77.
"Twin Hieroglyphs That Swim the River Dust"
"Mouse: A Definition"
"Kitty Hawk: Unrecorded Test Flight"
"The Attic Thing"
"The Soul's Midnight: Thoughts at 3:00 a.m."

The above poems may have appeared somewhere else since, though they were NOT all in the so-called "Complete Poems" published several years after the small volumes. The only poems in that were previously published in the mainstream hardcover collections, making it a pretty sorry excuse for "Complete." "They Have Not Seen The Stars" is supposed to be more complete but I don't have it and don't know if it includes everything. Anyone who does have it want to check for all these?

[This message has been edited by dandelion (edited 01-19-2003).]

posted Hide Post
Thanks, D. I looked in my copy and many of the poems (not all) you cited were there.

posted Hide Post
Since "They Have Not Seen the Stars" is one of the very few whose contents are not listed at www.locusmag.com, perhaps you could go through its table of contents again and just note which of the above poems are NOT in it. This could form the basis of an "Uncollected Poems" list.

posted Hide Post
Sure. I'll try to list them this evening.

posted Hide Post
D,
I just went through the contents, and the ones I couldn't find (unless I missed them) were:

The Growing Into Me
How I Became a Writer
The Soul's Midnight: Thoughts at 3 A.M.
The Attic Thing
Mouse: A Definition
Twin Hieroglyphs That Swim the River Dust
Rekindlement: A Celebration
Kittyhawk: Unrecorded Test Flight

posted Hide Post
Moving this up for a query on characteristics of Ray's work. This list does not really cover themes, but does indicate settings as far as time and place, so should be of some help.

posted Hide Post
Still open for trade requests. The only one I've obtained since making this list is "The Undead Die."