Ray Bradbury Forums
Ray's painting gollection

This topic can be found at:
https://raybradburyboard.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/3791083901/m/9147068976

22 January 2018, 06:19 AM
MMarina
Ray's painting gollection
Hi All,

I read that Ray was interested in paintings.
Does anybody know something about this his passion? I am interested in who was his favorite painter? Who's paintings he has in his collection?
Maybe somebody knows where is it possible to find out such information.

Would be appreciate for your help.

Marina.
22 January 2018, 06:58 AM
Richard
MMarina, welcome to the Board! After Ray Bradbury passed away a few years ago, most of his personal art collection was sold at auction. (To see what art Ray owned and that was included in that auction, you may want to try to find a copy of the Nate Sanders estate auction catalog. Copies occasionally show up for sale on Amazon and eBay.) However, Ray's favorite artist was probably a gentlemen by the name of Joe Mugnaini, who provided the art and interior illustrations for several of Ray's books. Ray had several paintings, drawings, and prints by Mr. Mugnaini in his personal collection at his home. His art collection also included a wonderful painting by Charles Addams, which was used for the dust jacket of the U.S. editions of FROM THE DUST RETURNED. Another of Ray's favorite artists was the French painter and printmaker Jean-Michel Folon. Ray had wanted Folon's art to be used for the dust jacket of his final short story collection; unfortunately, that collection was never finished and published before Ray's death. Ray also loved certain comic strip artists, with Hal Foster of PRINCE VALIANT fame a personal favorite. He also admired the work of fantasy illustrator Hannes Bok, who provided the cover art for the fanzine, FUTURIA FANTASIA, that Ray published as a very young man. Perhaps other members of the Board can add to this group of artists.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Richard,
22 January 2018, 07:52 AM
MMarina
Richard,

Thank's a lot for your answer.

Is it possible to find more detailed information about Ray's private collection? I am interested in names of painters and names of their paintings.
BTW have you ever heard about Ray's relations with Russian painter Vladimir Pinigin?
22 January 2018, 08:59 AM
Richard
MMarina, I don't know anything about any relationship Ray Bradbury may have had with Mr. Pinigin. As for more detailed information about Ray's collection, I again suggest you find and/or purchase a copy of the estate auction catalog that was issued by the Nate Sanders auction house when Ray's art collection was auctioned off in 2014. That catalog used to be on the Nate Sanders website, but it no longer appears to be there. I checked, and a copy of that catalog is current for sale on Amazon for $25US.
22 January 2018, 12:34 PM
Richard
MMarina, I found the attached interview with Mr. Pinigin on the internet. While I am not 100% certain, I suspect that when Mr. Pinigin says that his works are in the collections of Ray Bradbury, he means that his illustrations appeared in one or more of Ray's books that were published in Russia, as opposed to being works of art in Ray's personal art collection. I say this because the article mentions Mr. Pinigin also illustrated work by H.G. Wells and Jules Verne, and because I do not believe any of Mr. Pinigin's work was included in the estate auction of Ray 's art collection held back in 2014.

http://artgreensofa.com/?p=1859&lang=en
22 January 2018, 12:56 PM
Doug Spaulding
Richard is correct about Mugnaini and Addams, as I noted those very artists on his walls when I would visit. Altho, I admit that I didn't spend too much time perusing the wall decor. I should have spent more. His taste was wonderful.

A funny (almost related story): One night, after many hours spent out on the town, we arrived back at his place. "John, come in," he said, "I want to show you something." Entering the dining area (where he took rest in a dining room chair) he asked me to bring him that item "leaning against the wall there." I did. He showed me a framed animation cell from Sleeping Beauty given to him by Walt Disney.

Thus ran his tastes.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Doug Spaulding,

"Live Forever!"
22 January 2018, 11:51 PM
MMarina
quote:
MMarina, I don't know anything about any relationship Ray Bradbury may have had with Mr. Pinigin. As for more detailed information about Ray's collection, I again suggest you find and/or purchase a copy of the estate auction catalog that was issued by the Nate Sanders auction house when Ray's art collection was auctioned off in 2014. That catalog used to be on the Nate Sanders website, but it no longer appears to be there. I checked, and a copy of that catalog is current for sale on Amazon for $25US.

quote:
Thus ran his tastes.

Doug Spaulding,

I know that Ray and Disney were friends)
22 January 2018, 11:59 PM
MMarina
Richard,

thank you for link with Mr.Pinigin's interview. It was interesting to read and to listen. I am from Ukraine and in article were so me words which couldn't be translated to English and author just wrote them with English letters))

I do not know what is wrong with Ukrainian searching system but I can not find so much interesting articles/information about auction 2014/catalogue on amazon...

Would be appreciate if you help me with amazon..
23 January 2018, 01:43 AM
MMarina
Hi again,

My efforts were crowned with success Smiler
I found link with free access to Ray's auction catalogue.

If it's interesting to somebody, please follow:

http://natedsanders.com/Catalo...rpage=100&category=1
23 January 2018, 03:44 PM
Doug Spaulding
quote:
Originally posted:
He showed me a framed animation cell from Sleeping Beauty given to him by Walt Disney.

There it is!

"Live Forever!"
23 January 2018, 06:38 PM
dandelion
Ray liked to play a game called "Who owns what and which and why?" regarding what artist had best captured a certain subject.

As I recall, he described his own taste in art as "primitive," or such, but it seems it was more like eclectic.
24 January 2018, 09:25 AM
Doug Spaulding
quote:
Originally posted by dandelion:
As I recall, he described his own taste in art as "primitive," or such, but it seems it was more like eclectic.

One Sunday morning, I drove Mr B's (and my) friend Irvin Kershner over to the studio to see Father Electrico, which was being filmed at that time. On the way home, we stopped at the farmers' market to get some greens to make for lunch back at his place. Back at home, we were talking about Ray's taste in art, which Kersh, a highbrow art lover was not exactly in sync with. I still remember the word he used. He said Ray's taste in art is "earthy." Very diplomatic, Kersh!

"Live Forever!"
24 January 2018, 05:47 PM
dandelion
Earthy is a good word.

Thank you for making it possible for me to see Father Electrico in person! I was so inspired I made my own Bradbury tribute sculpture! As it's outside I can assure you it's earthy!