Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    Story similar to A Sound of Thunder--help!

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Story similar to A Sound of Thunder--help!
 Login/Join

posted
Gosh, I haven't been here for a dog's age, but thought I'd drop in tonight..... Anyway, I was wondering if anyone knows the name and author of a story with a similar theme to "A Sound of Thunder." In this story, a group of scientists send back a probe to the dawn of time to examine how life evolved on earth. Unfortunately, this very act alters evolution--the physical presence of the probe alters the tiny chemical and biological reactions that were occurring when life began. The probe makes several jumps forward in time, and during each stop it causes more changes. The action of the story cuts between the scientists discussing the information the probe is sending back, and what is happening with the probe. Each time the scientists are described, they become a little less human, until by the end of the tale they have become alien-like creatures with tentacles, etc. But none of them realise that they themselves have caused these changes, or that they had ever even had human forms.

Also, if anyone knows this story, do you know which came first, this or Bradbury's "Thunder"? I was wondering if one influenced the other....

Posts: 85 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 20 June 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We've been waiting for you....

Can't identify the story, but a lot of people came up with a number of similar concepts during the same time. Although Ray was an unquestionable influence on just about everyone in the scifi/fantasy field and a good deal of mainstream fiction, I do have to wonder whether some people just arrived at similar ideas independently.

Posts: 2694 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Rats, I was sure you'd know this one, Miss Dandelion. I'm constantly amazed by the sheer volume of information that you are able to remember! (Envious as well--I have a terrible memory...) I'll have to try this query on the BookSleuth board...

Later... Well, that was quick! Someone told me on BookSleuth that this was "The Brooklyn Project" by William Tenn. I'll have to check it out...It's from 1948, and so preceeds "A Sound of Thunder" by four years. Don't know whether there's any relation or not--similar theme, but the stories themselves aren't that much alike...

[This message has been edited by octobercountry (edited 02-11-2004).]

Posts: 85 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 20 June 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Perhaps William Tenn went forward in time, stole the idea, went back, and pre-dated Bradbury on the idea. Because of his deception and his interference with the cosmic order, he was punished by being a second rate author behind Mr. Bradbury -- whose idea he stole!

Posts: 1964 | Location: McKinney, Texas | Registered: 11 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
One of the funniest stories I've ever read. Perhaps we should start a new thread regarding funniest Bradbury ever. I'll type the hilarious ending so if you intend to read it and don't want the ending spoiled stop reading NOW.

"See," cried the thing that had been the acting secretary to the executive assistant on press relations. "See, no matter how subtly! Those who billow were wrong: we haven't changed." He extended fifteen purple blobs triumphantly. "Nothing has changed!"

[This message has been edited by grasstains (edited 02-12-2004).]

Posts: 901 | Location: Sacratomato, Cauliflower | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
October,

Wow! You glass is spectacular!

Posts: 116 | Location: Akron, Ohio, USA | Registered: 30 October 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
October, you do beautiful work!

Posts: 2694 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
did I break any copyright laws?
I'll take the installment plan.

A little sidenote to the story-
After the publication of "The Brooklyn Project" some men in black paid the author and the publisher a little visit. Turns out the title of the story was a little too close to the codename of a top secret diddy that the government had going on at the time.

[This message has been edited by grasstains (edited 02-12-2004).]

[This message has been edited by grasstains (edited 02-14-2004).]

Posts: 901 | Location: Sacratomato, Cauliflower | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post