Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    Used Books

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Used Books
 Login/Join

posted
I love libraries and bookstores but especially stores that specialize in used books. You can walk down their aisles and see books by authors who are no longer published. I can’t do that in a contemporary bookstore. The library is the next best thing but much more limited. In these stores I’ve discovered books I never knew existed by known authors and authors I never knew of before. I can go on the Internet and find virtually any book I’m looking for but will seldom experience a discovery.

These wonderful stores are slowly disappearing, going the way of the pharmacy soda fountain. Economic pressures, (insurance, payroll, etc) are causing them to become Internet outlets. Sad--from my point of view anyway. I wish them well. I hope they thrive. But I’ll miss the browsing and the little discoveries.

Posts: 861 | Location: Manchester CT | Registered: 13 August 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I too love to browse the stacks of a good used bookstore. There is a great one not too far away that is in an old victorian house. It specializes in vintage and out of print books. There is an aura of a forgotten time in there. I can get lost in there for hours and do sometimes. Whenever we travel someplace new, I search out the used bookstore there. More times than not in Destin, Fla. and Chattanooga, Tenn. I have done that and been rewarded with some amazing holiday reading. Your right though, they are fast disappearing to be gobbled up by Halfpriced Books or the internet.

She stood silently looking out into the great sallow distances of sea bottom, as if recalling something, her yellow eyes soft and moist...

rocketsummer@insightbb.com

Posts: 1397 | Location: Louisville, KY | Registered: 08 February 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I actually love the way old bookstores smell--the delightful aroma of musty pages filled with marvelous words, the voices of our co-habitants of this planet, whether still living or passed to the beyond, speaking to us through the printed page.

I walked quickly past an open storefront door once, stopped, retraced my steps--stuck my head in the door and took a deep breath--then went "AAh..." with great satisfaction. My companion, hurrying along, called back--"What is it?" I said "Books!"

Years ago when I was moving, friends who were helping kept passing each other inquiring as to the contents of the boxes the others were carrying. The joke for the day went like this: Question: "Books?" Answer: "Books!"

At one point a friend bellowed--"I'm never helping a smart person move again. You people have too many books!"

I, like Ray Bradbury and probably many of you, believe the term "too many books" to be an oxymoron. Recently Ray estimated that his library contains approximately 10,000 books!

To all of my dear compadres in this blessed forum: Keep on being one of the smart people! Have "too many books"!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: N. K. Love,

Posts: 52 | Location: LA,CA | Registered: 07 November 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I never miss a used bookstore or a library sale although I do miss a lot of the space I used to have! Ray Bradbury wrote that old bookstores are boneyards, but I love a good boneyard!

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi all,

I am so lucky. Today I got my books back! Wasn't sure because I got a tad greedy to write him so soon after the first time. No doodle this time, but I think he liked the mobile. He also signed my October Country book, "Greg, Thanks! Man Love! Ray Bradbury. Totally lucked out! HE IS AWESOME!!!

She stood silently looking out into the great sallow distances of sea bottom, as if recalling something, her yellow eyes soft and moist...

Imageconstnc1.JPG (37 Kb, 7 downloads)

Posts: 1397 | Location: Louisville, KY | Registered: 08 February 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You've got that right, Robot Lincoln. I told someone yesterday that it would take the lifewish of at least three "typical" people to equal the LUST FOR LIFE that exudes from our dear friend and mentor, Ray Bradbury.

Once Ray touches your life, either in person or through his wondrous works--IF you are paying attention--you will never be the same.

Posts: 52 | Location: LA,CA | Registered: 07 November 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
N.K.,

Very true words of wisdom! Not only has Ray Bradbury given us his amazing stories and novels, he also is a shining example for the rest of the world of what an "optimum human" should be, and how to truly "love".

posted Hide Post
Anybody near Moscow, Idaho, note: http://www.latahlibrary.org/book-sale.asp

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Here's a bookstore I'd love to wallow in for a couple of hours.

In this case of life almost imitating art, the local fireman have a concern that these books may go up in flames so they threaten the bookstore owner with fines if he doesn't reduce the "fire load". So these modern F451 firemen are really "Finermen".

Note the reference to Fahrenheit 451 in the article.

http://www2.macleans.ca/2012/1...-debate/#more-306888

Posts: 49 | Location: Where the Streets Have No Name | Registered: 19 April 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post