Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    October Reading: Bradbury and Poe

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

October Reading: Bradbury and Poe
 Login/Join

posted
Although there are others who are good to read at Halloween (Rice, King, Lovecraft, etc.), I have always preferred Poe and Bradbury. Here are some I liked. Do you have other favorites? Are any of these among those you read to your kids (or to yourselves) while getting ready for Halloween? Why?

Edgar Allan Poe

Ligeia
The Fall of the House of Usher
The Murders in the Rue Morgue
The Pit and the Pendulum
The Tell-Tale Heart
The Black Cat
The Premature Buriel
The Cask of Amontillado
Ulalume_A Ballad (Poem)
Annabel Lee (Poem)
The Raven (Poem)

Ray Bradbury

Something Wicked This Way Comes (Book)
The Halloween Tree (Book)
From the Dust Returned (Book)
The October Game
The Small Assassin
The Skeleton
The Dwarf
The Homecoming
Uncle Einar
The Coffin
The Scythe
The Crowd
The City
Kaleidoscope
The Veldt
The long Rain
All Summer in a Day
The April Witch
The Playground
The Jar
The Black Ferris
The Utterly Perfect Murder
The Emissary
Heavy-Set
Banshee
The Wind
The Exiles
The Illustrated Man
The Dead Man
The Pedestrian
Zero Hour

Posts: 2769 | Location: McKinney, Texas | Registered: 11 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Great list, Mr. Dark!
I could only add as Poe favourites "Some Words With A Mummy", "The Spectacles", "The Masque Of The Red Death", and "The Facts In The Case Of M. Valdemar".
As for Bradbury, I'd really have to think about it. There are just too many!

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
And they call him a sci-fi writer!

Mr B is almost exclusively horror and fantasy.

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This is what is so interesting to me. I started with F451. While I read Something Wicked This Way Comes, I then read Martian Chronicles and short stories. I thought he basically just did sci=fi. Turns out he does a bit of everything. His horror stuff is great. His sci-fi is great. His mysteries are great. His fiction is great. His fantasy is great. He is truly amazing.

Posts: 2769 | Location: McKinney, Texas | Registered: 11 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What about Bierce! He is as great as Poe, in my very very humble Argentine opinion. :-P Every single story of his is unforgettable.

Posts: 8 | Registered: 31 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yeah, Ambrose is a great writer - no questions.

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
WEll, you gotta tip your hat to H.P. Lovecraft as well. I also enjoy ETA Hoffman.

posted Hide Post
“The Tell-Tale Heart” by Poe
“The Facts In The Case of M. Valdemar” by Poe
“The Small Assassin” by Bradbury
“Cool Air” by Lovecraft
“The Legend of Sleepy Hollow” by Irving

There are some good films to get you in the mood for Halloween and some great activities but there’s nothing better than a good spooky read in front of the fire—especially if it’s a windy night.

Posts: 861 | Location: Manchester CT | Registered: 13 August 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a collection by Bierce but I have not read it yet. Wasn't he in the Civil War as well? Sometimes the bio of a writer is equally interesting. This Halloween I am reading, Farewell Summer, Frankenstein (Very interesting how she came up with it, and her bio is good too), Dracula, and I read a non fiction book on the Salem witch hunt and trials.

She stood silently looking out into the great sallow distances of sea bottom, as if recalling something, her yellow eyes soft and moist...

rocketsummer@insightbb.com

Posts: 1397 | Location: Louisville, KY | Registered: 08 February 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post