Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    Looking for CBS Television Workshop: "The Rocket"

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Looking for CBS Television Workshop: "The Rocket"
 Login/Join

posted
I would like to acquire a copy (VHS or DVD) of the March 16, 1952 CBS Television Workshop production of "The Rocket" (aka "Outcast of the Stars," 1950 by Ray Bradbury) --still remembered after all these years as an excellent and compelling performance. However, after a brief Internet search, I can't find a copy of the CBS version anywhere (or does it even exist?). I was 14 in 1952, so most on this list probably didn't see it. However, my memory of the show is still vivid, and I believe many Radbury fans would enjoy seeing it, if a source for the old copy could be found.

Posts: 2 | Location: United States | Registered: 24 July 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi Davefan56, and welcome. I've been tracking (and tracking down recordings of) Bradbury's media work for years and have never yet come across a source for this particular show.

If you haven't already done so, I suggest you check with the Paley Center (Museuem of TV and Radio) in New York or California to see if they have it.

There's always the possibility with a 1952 show that it simply wasn't preserved.

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There are Museums of Broadcasting in New York and California which have some otherwise "lost" shows but you have to go there to watch them.

Posts: 7301 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dandelion:
There are Museums of Broadcasting in New York and California which have some otherwise "lost" shows but you have to go there to watch them.

Clarification: the Paley Centers I referred to, and the Museums of Broadcasting dandelion refers to, are one and the same:

http://www.paleycenter.org/

I have visited the NY one a couple of times,and they have all sorts of gems, but they don't have everything. You can search their holdings here.

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the Paley Center source recommendation. I went there and browsed some but didn't find it. Guess I'll try wandering the Internet and see what there is. As I said before, it was a great production in old black and white --and as good anything I saw on the Hallmark Hall of Fame of that era. Thanks again. - - - David Hoadley

Posts: 2 | Location: United States | Registered: 24 July 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post