Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    Sam Weller in Dallas

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sam Weller in Dallas
 Login/Join

posted
I don't know if this will work, but it's an attempt to show a picture of Sam Weller and Mr. Dark meeting in Dallas. I was thrilled to meet him, chat with him, watch him give a great (but too short) series of anecdotes about working with Ray and about Ray's life, meet his family, etc. He is easily one of the most gracious persons I've met. Be sure to buy an extra copy of the book for a friend. I asked him to inscribe one for my HS friend who forced me to read F451. I'll post and see if this works. Whether it works or not, if you get a chance to go to a Weller book signing/appearance/lecture; take advantage of it.

Worked. Sam Weller on the left, Mr. Dark on the right.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Mr. Dark,

ImageSam_n_Eric.jpg (75 Kb, 40 downloads)

Posts: 2769 | Location: McKinney, Texas | Registered: 11 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mr. Dark,

Er, what picture? I'm not seeing a picture. Dang.

Best,

Pete

P.S.

You don't know how I've been waiting for this post, Mr. Dark. Not to put too much pressure on you but I'm expecting big things.

Pete

Posts: 614 | Location: Oklahoma City, OK | Registered: 30 April 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sorry, Mr. Dark, nothing came through for me either. Could you try again?

Posts: 1525 | Location: Sunrise, FL, USA | Registered: 28 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I wish they had a help key here. I tried to put it up in a photo album, but that vanished off into cyberspace somewhere. I tried adding it as an attachment, but it told me it was too big.

Nard: You have done this. Can you post specific instructions for the idiots amoung us (myself, not anyone else), so I can put this up? Sam gave a great speech and it was really, really great to meet him. The picture is one I like. Me with a famous author!!!!

Pete: I was hoping to grab you to come with me. Sorry you missed it.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Mr. Dark,

ImageSam_at_lecturn.jpg (41 Kb, 19 downloads)

Posts: 2769 | Location: McKinney, Texas | Registered: 11 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mr. Dark:

I have Photoshop. I know how to post photos thru this program. If you have Photoshop, this is how:

(1) Download digital pictures to the desktop. Or, go to the corner drugstore and have them make a CD disk for you. Insert the finished CD disk into your computer and all the icons for the photos will appear your screen. Each is numbered...so make sure you know the number of the one you want.
(2) Find Photoshop. I do that by clicking on my Apple Icon, and it lists a lot of the stuff in my computer. I simply go to 'Recent Applications' (because I've used it 'recently'. ((Brilliant!!). Or you can use the 'FIND File', and type in Photoshop, and it'll locate it for you if it's been installed. Click on that. On my computer, once I do that, I have to then go to FILE and click on OPEN. Make sure the word DESKTOP is showing. If not, click/scroll on whatever other word is there and find DESKTOP. Then, find the exact number (JPEG) of the photo you want on the list of photos that appear in a column. Click on that.
(3) Now the picture opens. What you need to do is 'shrink the file' down to make it send-able. Thus, go to IMAGE, found at the top of your screen. (I'm by-passing sharpening it or color/brightness enhancing for now).
(4) When you click on IMAGE, go to 'IMAGE SIZE'. Click on that.
(5) Now...look for PICTURE OR PRINT WIDTH...(NOT Pixel Width)!!) Put in a number...Ignore whatever other number is now there. You want to use a smaller number. Just a number...and the number is 8 (eight). All the other numbers will change to smaller numbers automatically. Click on 'OK'.
(6) You should see a small picture now. Go to FILE again and click on SAVE. Afterwards, close that now small picture by clicking on the corner.
(7) You should now have a very small icon of the picture on your desktop. It's located easily by its number it carries thru the process.
(8) Now go to REPLY on the Message Board to send a message you want. And where it reads...ADD ATTACHMENT... click on that and find your photos' number. Click on it and PRESTO! Finis. All there is remaining to do is SEND.

Adding to the album is a same basic steps, except you have to follow steps for adding copy to album, etc.
_

Hope you have Photoshop and this works for you.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Nard Kordell,

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nard: Thanks for the detailed instructions. I don't have photoshop, but what I did was to email the two images to myself, selecting the reduce the size of the image option before sending. Then I opened the emails I had sent to myself, and saved them as new images to my desktop. Then I clicked on the "Add Attachment?", did the browse, and it worked. I added the first image, Sam and I, to my first post; and the second image, Sam at lecturn, to my second post.

When I click on the icon of the picture, it opens a picture. Looks like this worked.

posted Hide Post
Yessss! The mysterious Mr. Dark unmasked at last! Mwahahahahahaha! No more hiding in obscurity in a pleasant suburb of Dallas. Instant fame can only be moments away.

Quite handsome, Mr. Dark. And a good photo to boot. Looks like the encounter as a rewarding one.

I would've liked to have been there with you. Saturday was our anniversary and for some reason, a trek to Dallas to meet you and see Sam just wasn't high on my lovely bride's agenda. I dunno, something about geeky Bradbury fans. I have no idea what she's talking about. Ah, well. I'll just have to live the experience through you.

Thanks for the post. You've done yourself proud.

Best,

Pete

Posts: 614 | Location: Oklahoma City, OK | Registered: 30 April 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mr. Dark, the photo reflects the spirit of a very positive exchange. How nice for both of you as well as vicariously for us here! Congrats.

The Sam n' Eric allusion is not lost, as I am currently in the middle of the jungle with a group of seniors. Now, that was the real "survivor" long before any of this prime-time, pop barrage that seems to assault us nightly!

Posts: 2805 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hello to Mr. Dark and his new friend. I just completed reading the biography by Sam Weller and learned a few things that I did not know, and remembered some that I had been made aware of in the past. Good read, well written book. I think Sam and Ray are scheduled to appear at the Mystery and Imagination Book store in Glendale, Ca on May 28 at 12:00. I will try and get there to conglatulate Sam if I can. My copy of the book was signed by Ray but not by Sam, so maybe aI can get that taken care of as well. Regards and nice picture of the two of you young folks.

Http://www.mysteryandimagination.com

Posts: 847 | Location: Laguna Hills, CA USA | Registered: 02 January 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Do all Bradbury fans wear glasses? (I do!)

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I wear glasses, too.

posted Hide Post
What a couple of handsome devils!! The photos came through very nicely, and I can see how happy you both were. I am planning on meeting Sam at the Printers Row Book Fair in Chicago in June, and I can't wait!

Posts: 774 | Location: Westmont, Illinois 60559 | Registered: 04 January 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It was great meeting Sam Weller in Dallas! He was incredibly genuine, passionate about Ray, passionate about life, and shared many pieces of Ray's fascinating life that were unknown to me! Most of all, I left the bookstore feeling like if I never get the chance to meet Ray, I have come as close as I can get by meeting Sam. Sam not only knows Ray well enough to write about him, but I believe he shares with Ray a unique talent of story telling with a passion for the imagination and life. Let's hope that the Bradbury Chronicles is just the first of many books to follow on Ray by Sam!

Posts: 2 | Location: McKinney, TX | Registered: 15 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ms Light--First of all, welcome aboard! We hope to hear from you again soon.
After reading Sam's book, I agree with you that Sam has the storytelling gift, just like Ray does. He is so entertaining, while at the same time informative. I kind of think he's like the son that Ray never had.

Posts: 774 | Location: Westmont, Illinois 60559 | Registered: 04 January 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post