Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    Imploring Research Assistance

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Imploring Research Assistance
 Login/Join

posted
Hi, all.

Some time ago I started the somewhat overwhelming task of listing Ray's non-fiction works to which I will be adding when I feel brave enough to tackle the online resources. This list is as far as print resources could take me. https://raybradburyboard.com/ev...1083901/m/8997096316

I also have my own version of this list showing to which things I have access in local libraries or electronic form. The list itself does not entirely tell me where to concentrate my efforts but I know what I need.

What I am most desperately seeking is Ray's PERSONAL reminiscences in ANY form (article, written or spoken interview, etc.) Each item such as the 1974 introduction to Dandelion Wine and the articles "It Changed My Life" (about Mr. Electrico) and "Tricks, Treats, Gangway!" are like gold to me. I am especially looking for items describing Ray's closest interactions--descriptions of how the people looked to him and what they said. I know such sources exist about Mr. Electrico but am uncertain as to where to find them all, and don't want to miss any. Does anyone have the full version of "It Changed My Life"? I have only the Reader's Digest condensed version.

Things such as tributes would really help, too, in cases where they tell when and how he met friends and what they were like.

I have Sam Weller's biography of Ray and Becoming Ray Bradbury by Jon Eller. Right now I don't have The Life of Fiction but plan on getting it when I am more caught up on reading. Anyone who can help steer me in the right direction on this, please contact. I don't seek to write fiction but I definitely need a narrative, not a dictionary article!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: dandelion,

Posts: 7305 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Do you have LISTEN TO THE ECHOES? Some good reminiscences in there, some of them different to what you will see elsewhere (but some of them very simlar).

I also recommend BRADBURY SPEAKS and ZEN IN THE ART OF WRITING for Bradbury essays, some of which are personal reminiscences.

Another good source, but one which you will have to get to UCLA to view (because they don't allow copies) is the 1961 Oral History interview transcript, interview by Craig Cunningham.

Also: all volumes (3 to date) of THE NEW RAY BRADBURY REVIEW.

I don't have the article "It Changed My Life" in any form, unfortunately.

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I definitely have Listen for the Echoes and I'm pretty sure I have Ray Bradbury Speaks.

Posts: 7305 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dandelion:
What I am most desperately seeking is Ray's PERSONAL reminiscences in ANY form (article, written or spoken interview, etc.) Each item such as the 1974 introduction to Dandelion Wine and the articles "It Changed My Life" (about Mr. Electrico) and "Tricks, Treats, Gangway!" are like gold to me. I am especially looking for items describing Ray's closest interactions--descriptions of how the people looked to him and what they said.

You have this one, right? One of the last things I read to Mr B. He had almost forgotten it.

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes, thanks, and we probably need a full thread devoted to links to Bradbury items online, or at least those should be included in the non-fiction item thread.

posted Hide Post
SmilerAlso, the quite exuberant collection Yestermorrow - Obvious Answers To Impossible Futures.

Posts: 861 | Location: Tuscaloosa, Alabama | Registered: 06 July 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes, I have read his books of essays and so on but am right now concentrating on items specifically about his life and how it relates to his work and feeling overwhelmed even there. That's a good idea, though, I should check the table of contents for those books and see if any of the items appeared elsewhere first so I can mark them as collected.