Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    Story of Ray's about killer city?
Page 1 2 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Story of Ray's about killer city?
 Login/Join

posted
Year's ago, I read a story by Mr.Bradbury about a dormant city that waits for centuries for man to return, then kills each member of the search party that has rediscovered it.

Can anyone tell me the name of this story? It was very well done and want to share it with some fellow sci-fi friends.

Posts: 1 | Registered: 27 October 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi october_country,

The name of the story is "The City" and you can find it in the collection "The Illustrated Man".

Posts: 62 | Location: Hamburg, Germany | Registered: 23 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It doesn't just kill them, either. There's an even more ingenious twist.

Posts: 2694 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
can you explain the twist a little more?
what's beyond the killing.

Posts: 31 | Registered: 13 October 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I could, but it would create a spoiler for the ending.

Posts: 2694 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I already know the ending, but what you posted had me thinking, and I really would like for to help me understanding it better.

posted Hide Post
I just (yesterday?) posted to another thread on it. I don't recall the thread name, but it might just be The City.

Here it is:

Mr. Dark
Member posted 11-11-2004 06:59 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I liked "The City" a lot. Very scary with the subtle disappearances. And then the tie to today with the use of weapons of mass destruction as a means of indiscriminate slaughter against the innocent for the sake of vengeance. Very timely story.

[This message has been edited by Mr. Dark (edited 11-13-2004).]

Posts: 1964 | Location: McKinney, Texas | Registered: 11 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
do you think Bradbury uses the name "Smith" again so the reader relates the character in "The city" with the one in "Marionettes, inc."? I mean, their personality, or maybe so you can compare them.

posted Hide Post
I don't think so. I think Marionettes, Inc. was published in 1949. I didn't see the listing (just glanced in the appendix of the Eller/Touponce book, RAY BRADBURY, THE LIFE OF FICTION) for The City, with the exception that it was in the Stories of Ray Bradbury, published in 1980. However, the fact that it was published over 30 years later doesn't necessarily mean it wasn't written much, much earlier. Or, it may have been published earlier, but I just am unaware of it.

In either case, While artificial life forms who end up killing people are common events in the two stories: in Marionettes, Inc., the murder is personal, but in The City, the killing is indiscriminate and impersonal. The City gains nothing but vengeance; the "marionette" gets to love a woman and be loved by her.

Posts: 1964 | Location: McKinney, Texas | Registered: 11 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"Marionettes, Inc." first appeared in Startling Stories, March 1949.

"The City" first appeared in the very same publication, Startling Stories, in July, 1950, as "Purpose."

I don't think there is any connection whatsoever with the name of Smith, which is considered the most common surname in English.

posted Hide Post
Thanks, Dandelion.

posted Hide Post
ok. thanks,
the information about the city being published as "purpose" was very helpful.

posted Hide Post
hey, what do you guys recomend me to write my response about? I need to write one, but I would like opinions about on what should I focuse more on. what do you think?

posted Hide Post
The build-up of suspense, the use of language, the unfolding of the nature of the city, and a comparison to modern indiscriminate killing in the name of revenge.

posted Hide Post
ok.. I have a question..
I have to do an essay about the whole book, however, I am working with a partner on it, so we are analyzing each story first.
I read "The City," and I understood man once discovered the planet where the city is, but they killed everyone becuase of a "disease" they brought with them. And then years after that happened, the city awaited for their return and then killed them in the name of revenge. However, my friend believes another thing. Can you help me? Am I correct, at least a little bit?