Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    Dandelion Wine/The Beverage
Page 1 2 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Dandelion Wine/The Beverage
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
from botanical.com:

In Berkshire and Worcestershire, the flowers are used in the preparation of a beverage known as Dandelion Wine. This is made by pouring a gallon of boiling water over a gallon of the flowers. After being well stirred, it is covered with a blanket and allowed to stand for three days, being stirred again at intervals, after which it is strained and the liquor boiled for 30 minutes, with the addition of 3 1/2 lb. of loaf sugar, a little ginger sliced, the rind of 1 orange and 1 lemon sliced. When cold, a little yeast is placed in it on a piece of toast, producing fermentation. It is then covered over and allowed to stand two days until it has ceased 'working,' when it is placed in a cask, well bunged down for two months before bottling. This wine is suggestive of sherry slightly flat, and has the deserved reputation of being an excellent tonic, extremely good for the blood.

Posts: 386 | Registered: 31 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
One of James Herriot's books, I think it was the first one, had a description of getting smashed on the stuff.

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Was that one of the Granville Bennett stories?

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for that recipe fanboy! Even though I don't partake now, I probably could be enticed to have a thimblefull of medicine for melencholy. Biplane, your postings are always full of wisdom and insightfullness. I feel a kindred spirit in all who frequent this forum for a genuine love of books and especially Ray Bradbury! Thanks for your warm comments. As to the brave part, stupid comes to mind, but I must always push that thought aside because I know now that I am valid, intelligent, artful & inspired, funny, sensual, real,....human and very much alive and celebrating that! Thank you all for teaching me, because this forum is a dynamic flux of information sharing!!! I love it!

She stood silently looking out into the great sallow distances of sea bottom, as if recalling something, her yellow eyes soft and moist...

rocketsummer@insightbb.com

Posts: 1397 | Location: Louisville, KY | Registered: 08 February 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
All right, Robot Lincoln! Sounds like you received that package of spare ego after all! What you so honestly shared about your childhood and the eight-lane highway made me want to dash out among all the traffic, pick you up, dust you off and square your shoulders, and give you a really, really fast and utterly cool lookin' scooter. Then you could sail down that eight-laner and get far, far away from the pain of the past--really, really FAST.

I made an interesting--no, life-changing and AWESOME--discovery when I was in my early thirties. I was about to make a really big life change (divorcing and moving away), and I wanted my friends and associates to understand why--so I started quietly revealing some of the stuff I'd been going through, revealing the pain and suffering that I thought only I had to bear...and discovered that upon having the courage to open up that way that people would open up to me in kind, telling of their darkest hours and greatest challenges as well.

And very quickly I determined that virtually EVERY PERSON, no matter their circumstances--even the wealthy, even the beautiful--had come through some kind of living hell to get to where they are. Each of us has known suffering somehow, and I was appalled at some of the things that my friends revealed to me about the slings and arrows they had endured in the past. It made me love them more and cherish their fortitude, and the incredible triumphant human spirit that resides in each of us, when we let it flower and take hold in our souls.

We make it through TOGETHER. That's the rule. We humans are not designed to exist alone--we were created as a social species for a reason, and I believe part of that reason is to help one another and love one another and cherish the beauty we find in our individual and collective spirit.

I find it not the least surprising, then, that since becoming personally acquainted with our dear and beloved mentor Ray Bradbury, and choosing to become a member of this fascinating forum dedicated to his work, his life and times, that I have found herein a galaxy of very bright stars.

In a way, it is RAY'S GIFT TO US that we find each other here.

Here are the deep thinkers, the artists and philosophers who can help change the world. And together we can not only help one another down the sometimes rocky, sometimes beautifully smooth path of life--together we can help humankind travel along a more peaceful path toward a better and brighter future that includes diplomacy and prosperity and inclusivity and celebration and really big love for us all.

It is up to us, people--the thinkers, the artists, the philosophers--to show the way.

May multitudinous dandelions sprout in the garden of your heart, and may the winds of your very soul carry their seeds to new and exotic lands.

Love to you in all you do,
Nancy Love

This message has been edited. Last edited by: N. K. Love,

Posts: 52 | Location: LA,CA | Registered: 07 November 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Maybe time to reiterate:

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle.

- St. Philo of Alexandria

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That is so true B-Two! And N.K., thanks for that profound and moving story. It is a constant battle for me to "think positive", and the king of positive or should I say optimum behavior is R.B. Reading Medicine For Melancholy is the absolute best medicine for melancholy there is, or any thing else of his. Any kid would be lucky to have you around when he fell off his bike and scraped his knee! If you have kids, I'll bet they are very nurtured, and think to themselves at night after being tucked in, "I've got the best Mom in the world."

p.s. yes again, it brought tears, and it felt cleansing!

She stood silently looking out into the great sallow distances of sea bottom, as if recalling something, her yellow eyes soft and moist...

rocketsummer@insightbb.com

Posts: 1397 | Location: Louisville, KY | Registered: 08 February 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It wasn't Granville Bennett, it was some guy into gooseberry, elderberry, and other homemade wines. My mom would know right where it is, having read the books continuously.

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Bot:
I feel like I just got an A+ from the universe.
Heartfelt thanks.
NL

Posts: 52 | Location: LA,CA | Registered: 07 November 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
And very quickly I determined that virtually EVERY PERSON, no matter their circumstances--even the wealthy, even the beautiful--had come through some kind of living hell to get to where they are.[/quote]

Truer words have never been spoken. No one escapes the living hell.

Posts: 386 | Registered: 31 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
True, we all suffer. Yet it is our LOVE for one another that introduces an aspect of heaven to earth, and makes everything we face in the human condition bearable.
If we are asking the right questions, the answers will always be found in love.

N. Love