Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    Dandelion Wine/The Beverage
Page 1 2 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Dandelion Wine/The Beverage
 Login/Join

posted
Has anyone out there ever had the rare pleasure to sample some real Dandelion Wine. In 1982 I was fortunate to have a friend that made it. The astounding part about it was that Tony, my friend, had never read the book. It was powerfully strong what I remember of it, kind of a light greenish yellow in color, had a bittersweet taste that was different, not really a real pleasant taste. I however, immediately thought of the book and the significance of it. I almost wish I could make some. I don't drink, so it would have to be a thimble full for me. To me, it would be like at communion and choosing to have the wine. In that it would be a near religious experience and the fact that an amount of that size would be all I could partake in. Anyone else had it before or know how to make it?

She stood silently looking out into the great sallow distances of sea bottom, as if recalling something, her yellow eyes soft and moist...

rocketsummer@insightbb.com

Posts: 1397 | Location: Louisville, KY | Registered: 08 February 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
had some. hippie uncle was married in the middle of the forest. *shudders* it was bitter alright, but i'm wondering if the experience tainted the drink itself...i like dark chocolate...

The facts speak for themselves.

Posts: 27 | Location: Orange County, California USA | Registered: 18 March 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In the book "Dandelion Wine", it almost seems as if they used the wine as a kind of tonic when they were sick in winrertime, I wonder if it has medicinal values? I mean, apart from being an infusion of golden summer into your winter flu ridden body and soul.

Posts: 386 | Registered: 31 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Maybe it's just the sort of thing that tastes good if you're already really sick.

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think it'sh shwell.

(*hic*)

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Dandelion wine may have medicinal values, traditionally speaking. We have all heard by now that red wine does, and I read once that in days of olde, doctors would actually "prescribe" a certain type of wine to treat a specific disorder. The article didn't say whether these prescriptions actually worked, but perhaps they made the patient feel better--at least temporarily.

Yet let's face it: for those who have an interest in the fruit of that flower because we have inhaled the heady aroma of Ray Bradbury's fabulous harvest of words, dandelion wine must surely and certainly have life-giving and health-giving value.

One sip and we would think of Ray exhorting us to "Love!" and another sip would have us remembering how Ray inspires us to act on our dreams and loftiest, most artful passions, and still another sip would have us rising up to go forth and actualize some grand, heart-made fantasy.

To partake of the golden essence of summer--verdant growth and abundant life and blissful love and bird-chirping joy and sweet, sweet juicy fruition--whether one does this with a bit of dandelion wine or a chapter from Dandelion Wine, must be an action that heals.

Nancy Love

Posts: 52 | Location: LA,CA | Registered: 07 November 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Extremely well said, Lovie.

"The bee-fried air, by God!"

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'll have what she's having.Smiler

She stood silently looking out into the great sallow distances of sea bottom, as if recalling something, her yellow eyes soft and moist...

Posts: 1397 | Location: Louisville, KY | Registered: 08 February 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Seriously, well put. Very poetic, moving, and thoughtful.

Thanx,N.K.

Bot

postscript; Dear Nancy,

I just reread your fine posting, and I think I owe you an apology. Sometimes I can be a course immature clown and instead of speaking whats right, I see an opening and dive in, not thinking of the consequences. When I am confronted with alot of people I don't know, I get nervous, and to cover it up, I have always tried to yuk it up. Happens too often, though I try. Alot of times what sounds good in my head doesn't go over real big when spoken out loud. Strange, but the same phenomenon happens here. Your pure joy and exuberence about R.B. at the end of your note made me think of the movie, When Harry Met Salley. So, I dove in and wrote what I wrote, now I'm red faced. Your postings are among my favorites and I hope I have not caused too great an offense. I'm sorry.

Sincerely,

Greg Bot Westerman

This message has been edited. Last edited by: rocket,

posted Hide Post
Hey all, this looks good.

http://winemakermag.com/feature/196.html

posted Hide Post
My Dear Silly Bot:
Just because I am so obviously bright and talented doesn't mean I lack a sense of humour :> !
Look at Ray--incredibly bright, phenomenally talented, and a ready, quick wit. These things tend to come in a package...

You=so sensitive! I laughed my derriere off at your lovely encouragement. Now, how oh how shall I sit down?

No apologies necessary, dear sir.

In fact, I WANT WHAT I WAS HAVING when I wrote that again!
I'm gonna go up there and re-read my own posting.

Love to you in all you do,
Nanoo

Posts: 52 | Location: LA,CA | Registered: 07 November 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
How do you spell relief? Thank God. When I went back and read it, I wasn't sure, so better safe than sorry. I don't want to offend anybody on here, I enjoy it so much! Everyone!! I wish I had more of your ego, I think its refreshing. I actually fired myself at work the other day. I decided to let myself off with a stern reprimand, I couldn't let myself go. I needed me. O.k., now I'm confused. Due to the melt-down hot flash that occurred after reading that, I am shutting down to do a complete overhaul on my main thermo-coil. Hopefully R-2 can give me a hand tonight.

posted Hide Post
Eh, I think what you call my ego was just more evidence of my sense of humor. But if I had your address I'd be glad to send you some spare ego! Happy to share.
Ciao~~

posted Hide Post
That sense of humor is great also, its all good, just meant I need more ego like you, as in what you said about being obviously bright and talented. That is a positive thinking good thing. Sometimes I wish that I thought that way more often about myself, alot of times I'm thinking I'm so stupid for any given mistake I make when in fact, it was just human error or judgement or simply how events unfold. I have tried for years and years to quiet that negativity and instead nurture the inner child that sometimes is cowering there. I was shamed constantly as a child and it has left an eight lane freeway skid mark on me. A child is just a child, and nobody should shame a child, period! I have learned to overcome this most of the time, it seems to hit when I don't pay attention. Then wham, I'm thinking all this negative stuff thats not really valid anyway. Whew, sorry about that, talk about straying way off topic. Reading R.B. helps me alot, especially what he said about optimum behavior. To put it in a nutshell, wheather your joking or not, and I don't know you, but it shines through that you do beleive in yourself, and you seem to be very positive thinking in your postings. You also have a quick sense of humor. Thanx. So in retrospect, keep shining, keep laughing, keep living in the bloom of the present moment, and last but not least, Replenish The Source Within!

p.s. will get R-2 to de-frag me as well.

p.s.s. reading and daydreaming were my only solace, then drugs and booze, now reading for pleasure and with kids.

p.s.s.s. aren't p.s.'s annoying?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: rocket,

posted Hide Post
Robot Lincoln, I commend you for being so frank on what might be considered an open forum, your inner most feelings out for us all to see. And I think it is great. Far too often many of us have similar feelings but do not have the fortitude to reveal those deep thoughts and feelings.

Your doing this has to be therapeutic. But your posting also wants me to get to know you better.
I think that we have a core here of some top-notch people, all of us having our own unique capabilities and personalities. We all have one thing in common, our love and deep respect for Ray Bradbury, but this common bond draws us all together.

Robot, you have posted your photo and I, too, recently have done so. But I am curious as to what N. K. Love, Braling II, Mr. Dark and others look like. We know what Nard looks like as his photo has been posted, also dandelion (if you just look beyond the habit) but what about the others.

I am somewhat disappointed when I look at the individual's Public Profile and there is NOTHING there, other than where they live and when they signed up.

What would be wrong to include a little bit more insightful information so that we have a more introspective look at each other?

Robot Lincoln, you are a brave soul. This reminds me of a graduate course I took regarding teaching. The class was held in a kiva, which is a round, multi-level meeting area where everyone faces each other. We got into some deep stuff, that for me at the time, was a little uncomfortable as to the topics we were discussing.

But you are a brave soul Robot Lincoln and perhaps we should encourage others to be so forthcoming.

Posts: 1525 | Location: Sunrise, FL, USA | Registered: 28 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post