Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    spelling question

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

spelling question
 Login/Join

posted
I know this post is a little bit out of place, but anyway I'll ask. Reading things on the Internet lately I have come across many words which would, traditionally, be considered as "misspelt". One example is the word DEFINATELY for DEFINITELY, which I've seen, among other places, in a post by green shadow. Another example is DEPENDANT for DEPENDENT. I was wondering if it's something that's been going on for some time now, and if it's strictly an American spelling change.

Thanks,
diego.

[This message has been edited by Mulder (edited 02-08-2004).]

Posts: 13 | Location: buenos aires, argentina | Registered: 31 January 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Since I post directly to the board, and the board apparantly has no spell-check capabilities, my posts are likely filled with spelling errors. Sometimes, if I'm gonna post something long-winded, I'll compose first in Word and then cut and paste. Checking a recent post, I found a mis-spelled word that I'd overlooked; I just went in and corrected it. But, yes, I've noticed the mis-spellings as well, take full responsiblity for my own, and, no, I don't think we're trying out new spellings. Just posting with passion.

Posts: 614 | Location: Oklahoma City, OK | Registered: 30 April 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think that part of what's happening is that the web -- with it's high-speed capabililty -- is contributing to a decline in a focus on quality and accuracy. Some of this may come from the phenomenon of IM'ing (Instant Messaging), where on-line, immediate converstions are carried out in writing with no intention of permanance.

In teaching, I allow my students to use some internet sources for references in research papers; but I require books and journal articles as references. The internet allows anyone to post anything. Books go through a review process where a conscious decision is made that the contents of the book have real value. This is especially true of books published by a university press.

Anyway, the "new" spelling is more about sloth and carelessness than about a conscious linguistic evolution.

Posts: 2769 | Location: McKinney, Texas | Registered: 11 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Diego,

It's just something to look over. Doesn't bother me. I see this board as a network of letter writing and if there is a standard for it you're not going to want to read any compilations of any writer's letters because they are chock full of errors.

Posts: 135 | Registered: 22 July 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
dito

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Guys! We�re talking about the decline of literacy here!

How on EARTH can it not matter if an English speaking person can�t tell the difference between �there� and �their� or between �its� and �it�s�? If you can�t tell the difference between �woman� and �women�, how am I supposed to believe that you�ve ever read a whole book? Let alone a Bradbury one?

Come on, a Bradbury fan should be able to spell �definitely�. This is not rocket science, and these are not ten dollar words. I am not English speaking, and I care about proper English spelling, grammar and punctuation. So should you.

Posts: 699 | Location: Cape Town, South Africa | Registered: 29 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We need a returning or renewed Henry Higgins to come knock some sense into them all. (Bradbury once mentioned Shaw as his favorite!)

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm not usually a contrarion but I have to say I see this is one of those tempests in a teapot. I just don't think it's the decline of civilization. Hemingway's (There he goes again!) letters are filled with spelling and grammatical lapses. (So were Steinbeck's and Fitzgerald's and Faulkner's. How's that for spreading my obsessions around?) His letters were meant for private consumption so he kept it kinda loose. Though this board is obviously a public forum, I see my postings as letters to friends and acquaintances; I'm willing to let the rules slide. I hope you all will do the same for me.

Posts: 614 | Location: Oklahoma City, OK | Registered: 30 April 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The sky is falling! The sky is falling!

Posts: 135 | Registered: 22 July 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Pete: I'm willing to let them slide, I just grieve that you contribute in such a casual way to the decline of western civilization. :-)

For me, I know I leave some typos, but I do try to use language correctly (including spelling) even when I do journaling or personal correspondence. But I recognize I worry about this when others don't.

The fact is, I teach English and Philosophy at Community College level, and I see this laziness in papers handed in all the time. There has been a decline in concern about grammar and spelling. I don't know that I would equate this with "the sky is falling" but I do think good writing is important.

It is not just restricted to private letters.

[This message has been edited by Mr. Dark (edited 02-09-2004).]

Posts: 2769 | Location: McKinney, Texas | Registered: 11 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
ptteran:

I agreen...

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mr. Dark,

Contributing to the decline of civilization? Gosh. I feel so . . . dangerous.

Pete

posted Hide Post
I never said anything about the decline of civilisation. I said the decline of literacy. Civilisation existed before literacy, and it will exist afterwards. But I happen to enjoy the written word, and I will enjoy it less if no-one cares about it. I was not talking about typos. Everybody perpetrates those, and that certainly includes me.

I was referring to otherwise very bright people who actually think that the word "definitely" is spelt "definately". I wonder how they would spell the word "finite"? Don't they see the connection, or don't they care?

Mind you, there is an Elvis Costello song in which he sings:

Never mind, there's a good film showing tonight
In which they hang everybody who can read and write
But that could never happen here
But then again, it might

Posts: 699 | Location: Cape Town, South Africa | Registered: 29 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post