Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    Mel Gibson Passion and the Bible
Page 1 2 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mel Gibson Passion and the Bible
 Login/Join

posted
Isaiah 8:14 And he shall be for a sanctuary;
but for a stone of stumbling and for a rock of offence
to both the houses of Israel, for a gin and for
a snare to the inhabitants of Jerusalem.

Psalms 22:16 For dogs (Gentiles=The Romans) have compassed me:
the assembly of the wicked have inclosed me:
they pierced my hands and my feet.

Isaiah 53:
[4] Surely he hath borne our griefs, and carried our sorrows:
yet we did esteem him stricken, smitten of God, and afflicted.

John 11:
[49] And one of them, named Caiaphas, being the high priest that same year, said unto them, Ye know nothing at all,
[50] Nor consider that it is expedient for us, that one man should die for the people, and that the whole nation perish not.
[51] And this spake he not of himself: but being high priest that year, he "prophesied" that Jesus should die for that nation;
[52] And not for that nation only, but that also he should gather together in one the children of God that were scattered abroad.

Isaiah 52:
[13] Behold, my servant shall deal prudently, he shall be exalted and extolled, and be very high.
[14] As many were astonied at thee; his visage was so marred more than any man,
and his form more than the sons of men:
[15] So shall he sprinkle many nations; the kings shall shut their mouths at him:
for that which had not been told them shall they see; and that which they had
not heard shall they consider.

Isaiah 11
[10] And in that day there shall be a root of Jesse,
which shall stand for an ensign of the people;
to it shall the Gentiles seek: and his rest shall be glorious.

Isaiah 42
[1] Behold my servant, whom I uphold; mine elect,
in whom my soul delighteth; I have put my spirit upon him:
he shall bring forth judgment to the Gentiles.
[6] I the LORD have called thee in righteousness,
and will hold thine hand, and will keep thee,
and give thee for a covenant of the people, for a light of the Gentiles;

Isaiah 50:[6] I gave my back to the smiters,
and my cheeks to them that plucked off the hair:
I hid not my face from shame and spitting.

The movie is Wonderful. We are in a world-wide Spiritual
Revival right now! A woman told me she was in a "big" book
store and it was filled with teens wanting to buy
books on Jesus. This is only a tip of the iceberg
of what the Holy Spirit is going to do.
Prayer: http://www.bcfc.org

dave

Posts: 1 | Registered: 03 March 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Must. . .resist. . .the urge. . .to post. . .

(That is, unless Translator or Mr. Smith come along! )

Posts: 547 | Location: Oklahoma City, OK | Registered: 30 April 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I liked the movie; but, if we haven't already beat this to death, we have another thread already dedicated to this.

Posts: 1964 | Location: McKinney, Texas | Registered: 11 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There's a good website up now about the Sado masochistic imagery of the film and the probably sick and twisted ego that went into filming it.

Posts: 69 | Location: Matthews, NC, USA | Registered: 20 February 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
(1) What we see is a reflection of who we are.

(2) Nice, objective post.

(3) I love the willingness of so many to sit in judgement on Mel Gibson when they don't know him. There were so many criticizing the film without ever having seen it.

[This message has been edited by Mr. Dark (edited 03-04-2004).]

Posts: 1964 | Location: McKinney, Texas | Registered: 11 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Why is Dandelion letting this James Robert Smith blabber away with his sad interferences? If you tolerate a boil on the top of your head because it's a small annoyance, that's one thing. But when it's on the bottom of your foot, and you walk a lot, that's another. Smith seems to be a small, annoying boil heading down...

Posts: 2280 | Location: Laguna Woods, California | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ah, there's Mr. Smith. Just about right on schedule. And, seriously, is anyone really disappointed with his post? I mean, it's what we've come to expect from him, isn't it? His mother must be proud.

Pete

Posts: 547 | Location: Oklahoma City, OK | Registered: 30 April 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Oh, I see. I'm only allowed to post commentary that AGREES with you. Anything said that doesn't AGREE with your own thoughts is to be excluded.

How very typical of your kind.

What would you say if I started asking the board moderator to expunge your comments from the board? Hm. Who else could have been told to shut up and go away for what he said?

Posts: 69 | Location: Matthews, NC, USA | Registered: 20 February 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ah, the reinforcement of the hatred, ignorance, and intolerance of your ilk. Heap it on and keep it coming and keep reminding me why I'm so glad I'm not one of you.

posted Hide Post
Expressing contradictory views is NOT the same as spewing bigoted, mean-spirited comments. If you can't see the distinction, I'm sorry for you (and your friends).

"your ilk" "one of you" "your kind" These all express generalizations that are generally not a part of this board. There are many opinions here, but this board has been a good, civil board with a focus on Bradbury and Bradbury-related topics and themes.

There are lots of hate and temper-tantrum boards out there. When you come here, you're more than welcome, if your contributions are stripped of arrogance, mean-spiritness, and bigotry.

Why is this a difficult concept for you?

[This message has been edited by Mr. Dark (edited 03-04-2004).]

posted Hide Post
I came to this board to find out about Bradbury. Not to view religious dogma. Whenever I encounter religious dogma, I respond to it. It generally sickens me. The religious dogma I've seen posted here no less sickens me than that I encounter elsewhere. I responded to it as I generally do.

Alas. How could I have suspected that a message board about Ray Bradbury would be infected with right wing zealots spewing hatred?

posted Hide Post
This James fellow wants to call the shots.

He seems to be at a loss why he's causing discord, and it is unhealthy discord. If this were a counseling site, maybe others could help...and they do with suggestions in fact. But James seems to be in no need of any help... or suggestions from anybody...

Posts: 2280 | Location: Laguna Woods, California | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Pterran, I am here.
Question to Nard: Why are you so against Mr.Smith (makes me sound like Neo, he he)? He does have a very relevant point - the movie is filled with pain and suffering of the most basest kind. It doesn't matter who is in pain; to show that much of it, and in such detail, does indicate that there is some real pathological disorder with the director. Imagine there being a very colorful movie out there of the Aushwitz death camp, complete with the journey of, say, a family thorugh the "showers", and close-ups of their pain and horror-twisted faces as they're gassed with Cyklone-B. Not a very pretty picture, is it? To sit through that kind of movie would require a person to posess not only nerves of steel, but some perverted want to see what happens next. I therefore agree, to a degree, with Mr. Smith, and really don't see a reason why you're so mad at him.
By the by, Mr Smith, what do you mean by "your kind"? Do tell.
Cheers,
Translator

Lem Reader

Posts: 626 | Location: Maple, Ontario, Canada | Registered: 23 February 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
By the by, Mr Smith, what do you mean by "your kind"? Do tell.
Cheers,
Translator [/B][/QUOTE]

Good grief. Where to begin? I grew up in the Bible Belt of the USA among people influenced by extemist religious ideas. The more religious I found them to be, the more intolerant and hateful I found them to be. "Nigger lover" was a word I heard often growing up. The folk infesting this board with their disturbing relgious spew are no different. They are, as their religion dictates, jealous of any idea that counters the dogma to which they are connected, and under which they live, and from which they will likely never be free.

I've attacked no one here. I have merely spoken my mind. This is not allowed in the world of fundamentalist religionists.

posted Hide Post
James Robert Smith,

"How very typical of your kind."

"Ah, the reinforcement of the hatred, ignorance, and intolerance of your ilk. Heap it on and keep it coming and keep reminding me why I'm so glad I'm not one of you."

"I've attacked no one here."

If you really hate "our kind," you are welcome to leave. We are not holding you here against your will. I have not, as yet, asked for your removal, but I will concede with what Mr. Dark has said: "There are many opinions here, but this board has been a good, civil board with a focus on Bradbury and Bradbury-related topics and themes." Let's keep it this way.

Translator,
I will admit that I do not agree with you on many of your political views. However, I do not have a problem with you personally, nor as a discussing member of this group. Although I may disagree, I respect your views, because you do not use them to personally attack any person or group of people. There is a difference between expressing our many diverse opinions, and plain old maliciousness.

Posts: 411 | Location: Azusa, CA | Registered: 11 February 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post