Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    Sharia by Bradbury

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sharia by Bradbury
 Login/Join

posted
Has anyone noticed this item?

http://www.amazon.com/Sharia-R...eywords=ray+bradbury

It includes a bogus biography of Ray along with a photo. Shouldn't there be some sort of check on what is allowed for sale in an author's name, especially on a site like amazon com?

Posts: 5 | Location: Greece | Registered: 28 October 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I suppose it's possible that this ebook was written by a different Ray Bradbury (there are many people with that name, believe it or not) - but Amazon should definitely break the hyperlink that makes this appear to be THE Ray Bradbury.

Somewhere on the Amazon site, there must be a "contact us" link for reporting stuff like this.

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Anyone else named Ray Bradbury needs to include a middle name to distinguish themselves from the main event!

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not everyone has a middle name...

But Ray D. Bradbury did!

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Some people still believe he was named Raymond.

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Can it be (no, surely not) that he hasn't heard of "our" Ray Bradbury?

Either way, he badly needs a pseudonym. The first reviewer has pointed out that the author isn't our Ray, and given the book a poor rating. This surely won't help sales.

Pseudonyms puzzle me, sometimes. I've just read a book by Claire North. On the inside front cover there's a big color picture of the author with a caption disclosing her real name - Catherine Webb. Both names would look equally good on a book cover, so why the nom de plume?

Posts: 699 | Location: Cape Town, South Africa | Registered: 29 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by douglasSP:

Pseudonyms puzzle me, sometimes. I've just read a book by Claire North. On the inside front cover there's a big color picture of the author with a caption disclosing her real name - Catherine Webb. Both names would look equally good on a book cover, so why the nom de plume?

"It was a decision made between me and my publisher. As Kate Griffin I've written a lot of books within a specific fantasy series. Since Harry August is so different from that series, we wanted to give people a chance to read it without seeing me and my previous works there. There's a danger that when you've been writing for a while, the books become coloured by who you are and what you're done, and being able therefore to let people read it regardless of the writer is something of a privilege."

http://io9.com/claire-north-un...for-harry-1570371004

Posts: 28 | Registered: 19 November 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What is extremely puzzling is when an author's name appears along with their pseudonym. For example, "Stephen King writing as Richard Bachman" or "Michael Crichton writing as John Lange".

- Phil

posted Hide Post
Interesting news, Ron.It's amazing how young the author is, considering what she's already done!

Posts: 699 | Location: Cape Town, South Africa | Registered: 29 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by philnic:
What is extremely puzzling is when an author's name appears along with their pseudonym. For example, "Stephen King writing as Richard Bachman" or "Michael Crichton writing as John Lange".

In those instances (with I think a couple of exceptions/ King among his number of such novels, e.g. BLAZE and THE REGULATORS), those are later reprints of novels originally published under a pseudonym for essentially the same reason as explained above by Webb. Upon reprint of these older titles in present time, though, the publisher wants to take advantage of the author's current popularity and readership and thus ties the two names together.

Posts: 28 | Registered: 19 November 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Putting it briefly, they can run but they can't hide!

posted Hide Post
Discrimination is wrong and being put down because of what your parents named you is just plain ignorance. There world is very large and many famous people have others that were named the same as them.
The author Ray C. Bradbury is an UK nation and before this link by Amazon was made, he had never heard of the American Sci-Fi writer. He has spent his life working in Africa as a businessman and not sitting around enjoying fine literature.
Another false statement on this board is there is no picture of Ray D. Bradbury in the book. Since it is said the link to the famous US author should be taken down, so should false statements posted on this board.

Posts: 1 | Location: Philippines | Registered: 25 May 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nobody on this board has tried to "put down" the author of Sharia. More power to him, and I hope his book finds the audience it deserves.

Our dissatisfaction is not directed at mr. Bradbury, the author of Sharia, but at the fact that amazon has allowed a confusion between the two authors to take hold. I hope it is cleared up, so that Sharia can find its intended readers.