Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    Virtual Reality Story Set On Mars?

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Virtual Reality Story Set On Mars?
 Login/Join

posted
I hope someone can help me find a story I read some time ago. It deals with a crew exploring Mars that comes upon a martian amusement park. They find some virtual reality "rides" including one that imitates being killed in an automobile crash. The adrenalin rush becomes addictive for at least one of the crew members. I do not believe that this story was in the Martian Chronicles. Can anyone give me the title and/or book this story can be found in?

Posts: 1 | Registered: 31 January 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
WOW, that really sounds like a Bradbury idea but I don't remember any story of his, or any story in "The Ray Bradbury Chronicles" written in his honor, like that. If I come across it while going through the stories I don't remember as well (I once added up eight I didn't recall AT ALL, a number of others I'm a bit fuzzy on) I'll let you know.

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have read the story, but I think it was in a sci/fi collection. I think the title was the lost city of mars. I looked through the books I have at home, and could not find it right away. I am going to keep looking.

Posts: 247 | Location: Utah, U.S.A. | Registered: 10 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sorry to be so undisciplined, but I also immediately thought of "The Lost City of Mars". That was in I Sing the Body Electric. I haven't even glanced at the text, but uncle may be right.

Posts: 699 | Location: Cape Town, South Africa | Registered: 29 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Whatta ya know, it WAS "The Lost City of Mars." The only parts I remembered from that whole long story were of the actor all alone in the theater (brought back vividly to me when I found myself the only audience member for a "Harry Potter" matinee) and Parkhill working on the machines. I forgot the guy who kept crashing and felt better each time he "died."

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post